Antidepressants...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, Aug 26, 2008.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Just curious (for those who are willing to share) how many folks are on some sort of antidepressant or another.

I'd really rather this not turn into a "people who takes antidepressants r stoopit" thread, so just don't bother, if you're tempted, please.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Just curious if it's a blend of two ore more, which type (brand), etc.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Started on:
    Citalopram (SSRI)
    Then switched to:
    Setraline (SSRI)
    which was bad. So changed to:
    Dosulepin (Tricyclic)
    Then that stopped working and I switched to:
    Fluoxetine (SSRI)
    Now on:

Mirtazapine (Tetracyclic)(30mg)
    Which is working nicely.

I can't remember dosages.

At first it was thought depression was the main problem but recently I was re-diagnosed with M.E. and the depression is part of that.

5. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I'm currently on Paroxetine (Paxil) and Abilify, which both have worked well together.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

Interesting mix. Aripiprazole can lower the concentration of Paroxetine in the blood, but not amazingly.

Do you get what's called "Brain zaps"?
    Short sharp bursts of dizziness and perceived white noise.

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I'm not on any though I'm sitting next to a box of amitriptyline (a tricyclic) which was prescribed for neurological pain, I've not dared touch the stuff as I'd rather be in pain than have my personality altered (I'm not depressed so I'm happy how my mind works), the lethargy the drug causes would not be fun either.

I'm generally wary of them and do think that they're overprescribed but they do have their uses.

8. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

No, no problems with that, though the combination does leave me feeling "flat" at times. I still have to supplement with Xanax when focusing becomes an issue.

Paxil has always done wonders to ruin my sex life, however.

I think they are overprescribed as well. I mean I have friends that have gone through a divorce and the couple's shrink prescribed not one, but both meds!! I mean come on.

I was diagnosed bipolar when I was 18 before they had any of these meds...

9. bartelby macrumors Core

Yep. I have to agree.

Mirtazapine is doing a good job of that for me. Some of the other meds caused delayed (read no) ejaculation. Mirtazapine goes the other way :(

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Crestor (Citalopram) here, but just a 20mg dose (200 pound male), just to block my serotonin re-uptake.

Common in my family, but only 2 of us take it, that I know of.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I was on lithium for a while. The shrink should have told me just to quit the job I had at the time instead. Once I quit, I felt better and never took it again. That was over twelve years ago. I hate medications. Pills give me the creeps. Pharmaceutical companies give me the creeps even more.

12. bartelby macrumors Core

I think I was on 60mgs of Citalopram, at the time I was 140lbs. I've been on pretty much the max dosage for all my meds.

13. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I've just come off them. Was on for about 9 months and 6 weeks ago stopped (wasnt easy for the first week as I was twitchy and nervous).

I was taking them because I was finding it hard to sleep (thats back now) and was nervous a lot (thats fixed now).

I see them as a good medication to help us through those rough spots that modern life seems to generate more and more of. As long as they are prescribed and used correctly (i.e. as a help while one fixes the root cause of the depression) then they are a godsend. When used to just cover up the underlying issues, thats when trouble (addiction, abuse) begins.

I have never had a problem with any drugs (medical or recreational) as long as they are used by persons who fully understand the affects they can have on your life.

I am thankful my GP helped me throughy rough patch (and the insomnia is something Ive lived with since I was about 12 so its not a biggy).

Nice to see inteligent people sharing their experiences (and not a bloody iphone in sight :) )

14. Surely Guest

Surely

I agree with that. They're given out like candy here in LA. However, I do agree that these types of meds have their uses and, when prescribed properly, are extremely beneficial.

I have much more respect for psychologists than for psychiatrists.

And for the record, I have never taken any antidepressants.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good post! I agree completely. Lithium did get me through a rough spot. I just wish the shrink had also told me to quit my job. That was my real problem in the first place.

16. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Used to take Lexapro (a moderate to high dose, as I recall) and a low dose of a tranquilizer, but can't remember the name of the tranquilizer (started with an "R"). Took both daily. Was on Lexapro for a total of about 14 months. For the last three months I was taking the tranquilizer, too. One day - right at a year ago - I got fed up with the weight gain of the tranquilizer and the fact that they both seemed to scalp my "highs" along with my "lows." Stopped both cold; I know that is not advisable, but I did.

I'm glad antidepressants exist and am happy they work well for many people. That said, I hope I can avoid them here out.

17. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I have that issue at times as well. It takes the top off my highs and the lows. I call it "flat."

Overall, I function well daily and live a pretty good life. I know what life (for me) without them would be like - I probably would not be here without them.

Sucks to have to take them, but I have tried for long stretches to function well (concentration, experiencing joy, etc.)without them, but eventually I slowly slip back into depression.

Everyone is dealt something different I guess.

18. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Sounds like you have a healthy ability to be honest with yourself regarding being on them, not being on them, etc. I am hopeful - perhaps correct, perhaps projecting - that my issues were driven by my job at the time, kind of like leekohler says above. My fear is that I will always choose to have a car parked in that space, so to speak - that my mind is constantly, willfully looking for something - anything - to pull the rest of me down.

Good luck.

19. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

"Kind of".. I started on Lexapro (Escitalopram) a few months ago. It's actually for anxiety rather than depression, though the same drug is an anti-depressant as well. (It's funny, you wouldn't think the two would be related).

Quite a few side-effects, some really annoying, some quite ok! Overall, I think it has helped, but may need to adjust my dosage.

20. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

In the past I have taken prozac, welbutrin, zoloft, and an effexor geodon cocktail. Most of the medications didn't work well or stopped working after 8 months. The effexor and geodon, more than the others, had horrible side effects and when coming off of them caused me to have a seizure, uncontrollable twitches, and brain zaps.

today I take 5HTP and SAMe which are OTC supplements that seem to be roughly as effective as the prescription drugs with none of the side effects

21. noaccess macrumors 6502

I've been put on countless meds, none of which have worked consistently. The side effects, in some cases, unbearable and scary. I developed Tardive Tourette's (!) on the Zoloft+Risperdal cocktail, basically temporary Tourette's syndrome, and had to be weaned off of what I was taking, and take Parkinson's meds for that. It was horrible, every few seconds my whole body would twitch pretty badly. Ugh, don't want to remember.

The second time that I was put on Paxil, severe extrapyramidal symptoms. After one pill. Was in Paris at the time, had to call my shrink in Germany, who was pretty shocked, told me not to take the stuff anymore. Read the package insert, 1 in 10,000 chance that something like that would happen.

I also have PSSD. Despite the fact that I haven't taken any antidepressants in a long time, I can't tell you whether I still have a libido at all anymore. I might as well go ahead and call myself asexual.

Had those on Effexor, every time I missed a morning dose. Felt like I was electrocuted every time I moved my eyes.

So, based on my own experience, I'd say SSIRs/SSNRIs = major crappage. And this is just the tip of the iceberg, but I wouldn't want to go into too much detail.

Then this article was published, and now I feel like it was all for nothing. Truth is, I've only once felt good on an antidepressant, and that only lasted for 3 weeks.

Sorry guys, for blowing off steam like this, but this is pretty much what my experience with psych meds has been. I guess I'm kind of upset right now. The article I linked to might be worth discussing, btw. From what I understood from that and a CNN news report I saw, these drug companies hid/didn't publish results of studies, when they showed the drugs weren't working.

22. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

Amitriptyline for the same reasons as Mord (migraines/headaches) + troubles sleeping. I've found that it's evened out my moods moderately, but lately the effectiveness has waned (I have to keep increasing dosage) and that has caused some mood swings and bad headaches.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Exactly my situation. From a marriage break-up.

I was on Lorazipam to, for insomnia, but I quickly got over that.

Anyone want a full script?? Cheap!! :p

24. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

100 mg Zoloft, Works for me for both, anxiety, and depression that comes with it.

Been on it for a year and a half. I don't want to be off it either. Life before it, wasn't even life. :(

25. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I am on this drug too, for anxiety and depression. I felt quite unwell a few days in taking this, and tired all the time. Now its fine. 1 tablet a day 10mg's