Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
So I have an interview with an Apple Store here in Canada. My brother works there and referred me. I'm just curious to know and hear various peoples stories of their experience working at an Apple Store. My brother says he gets good pay ($17/hour) and decent benefits even as a part time employee. What are your stories??

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Apple employees have to put their macrumors membership to guest status.

As an :apple: employee you do get good pay, christmas bonus and a 17% discount when ordering any mac in the online store.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Discounts are different by region and country.

Corp Apple doesn't want employees posting on these types of sites and if they do they are asked to do so in their own name without mentioning they are an employee.

Corp can order a limited number of devices for personal use (each year) and also via the family and friends plan. You can also get discount in the store by showing your id badge. The % discounts offered/given ranges.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I guess I'm more interested in knowing what it's like to work for Apple. That's more my question and I wanted to hear from past or present employees of their experience.

redpandadev

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
If your brother referred you, he would be your best bet to talk to about the experience working at Apple. While the experience varies somewhat store to store and region to region, you should be prepared that the job is very difficult - it is a retail job, so hours will vary day to day and week to week, especially during the holidays. Customers can easily get the better of you, and even when they are nice will try your patience. All of the employees in your store consider themselves to all be part of one big Apple family, which you will quickly get accepted in to. The culture is fun, and your co-workers are your family and lifeline. The work is anything ranging from annoying to challenging, do downright ******. It's sometimes rewarding, and you'll sometimes want to kill yourself. From a standpoint of pay and benefits - you'll always feel like you should get paid more for the hard work that you do, but the reality is that you are a retail employee and you get paid rather on the high end of retail. Your benefits, ranging from health to discounts, as well as investment options are literally unheard of and are fantastic even if you were at a corporate job, which you aren't.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So Apple Store employees can't post on here members?

I can't see any reason why Apple Store employees can't post here. Except that most companies (not only Apple) would have rules that don't allow you to post in any way that identifies you as a company employee, or discuss any company business or products. Once in a while there's a thread that I'm not posting on for that reason. If you are an Apple employee, there are _lots_ of threads where you shouldn't be posting :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.