Any battery improvements on 3.0 beta 2

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by zhaoxin, Jul 7, 2016.

1. zhaoxin macrumors regular

I am curious on that. When it is ready, I will update to watchOS 3 ASAP.

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

For me, yes. A lot better. Almost back to 2.2.1 range.

3. Dopestar macrumors regular

Dopestar

Glad to hear, the battery life on the watch is a joke

4. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

As a whole? No it's really not. I've got two days out of it before. Given everything the watch does or can do, and the small size of its cell, I think it's very acceptable.

The battery life on beta 1 was abysmal even after repairing. Beta 2 is much better but not quite as good as 2.2.1 yet. But the OS does a lot more now. And with the dock, and the power it and the other new features probably consume, I'm ok with it.

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I installed watchOS 3 beta 2 a couple of days ago (never installed beta 1).

Yesterday, for the first time ever, my watch died before the end of the day. Usually I end the day with more than 40% battery left.

According to others, this doesn't sound normal. Is there a fix for this?

6. bluechair1984 macrumors regular

The same thing here... I've had the watch off the charger for about an hour and it's already at 90%... nothing in the dock, background tasks turned off...

7. batristain macrumors 6502

batristain

I installed the PB on my iPhone 6+ and also installed Watch OS3 B2. Last night the battery was draining fast but I was playing with the watch faces and complications a lot. This morning after wearing it for 1.5 hours it's only drained by 4%. Normally I would see anywhere from 3-5% battery drain per hour so this is actually a little better. I will keep tabs on the battery today to see how it holds up. I did remove all 3rd party apps from my dock with one exception (Carrot Weather app).

Cheers,
    B

8. bluechair1984 macrumors regular

I have no 3rd party apps installed an I have no apps in my dock. And it is draining like crazy. I set it up yesterday as a clean install. I wonder what is using all the battery...

9. jeutie macrumors member

jeutie

I am experiencing the same issue. I have updated to beta 2 and the battery drain was unbelievable. I have unpaired the watch multiple times without any result. Background App Refresh is off, I have no third party apps installed and there are no apps in the dock.

The only option (visible once at the set up of the watch) active is to unlock my MacBook with the Apple Watch. Since this is the only new feature introduced in beta 2 (and my battery life on beta 1 is splendid) I think this is the culprit. I'm charging my watch now for another attempt, if the battery drains as rapidly again I will do another unpair and then choose not to unlock my Mac with my watch.

Otherwise I'm very happy with beta 2.

10. batristain macrumors 6502

batristain

So I have an update - I'm now draining at around 4-5 % or so....playing around with config to figure out what is the cause...I have rebooted the watch and my phone but I always notice a huge uptick in battery drain the first few days after a new release. I'm hoping this will settle down in a couple of days.

11. batristain macrumors 6502

batristain

After wearing the watch from 7 am until 1230 pm It is down to 56%. It seems to have gotten worse than normal. Luckily I'm not traveling today - I will watch and see if it clears up over the weekend. I've noticed it can take a couple of days of "burn in" for the battery to settle after an upgrade. Normally a reboot and full charge fix the issue but I did that yesterday. I will wait before I try it again. So far I've never had un-pair and re-pair the watch except once when I first got the watch around launch day back in 2015.

Cheers,
    B

12. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 6502a

Mine is SO BAD right now. Put it on at 8:30am and it's now 2pm 35%. Nothing in the dock because I removed everything. I haven't really used it at all today. :-/ Freshly re-paired it yesterday morning.

13. mhoepfin macrumors regular

Battery life is so bad. Just put the watch into airplane mode to see if that helps. Also I think it is keeping my phone from sleeping.

14. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

My battery life is terrible too, beta 1 was fine for me. Not going to complain as I knew betas can drain battery life very quickly. I'll just keep my second charger with me at all times.

15. antnee macrumors regular

Yup I am in the same boat as most on this thread...battery drain is nuts on beta 2 for me worse than beta 1.

16. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Wow, just plugged phone in and it got to 100% but after being unplugged for an hour and a half it's down to 74%. That's crazy!

Someone suggested somewhere looking at the Photos app to see if the moments thing was still updating. I see pictures in my moments but how do I know if it's still updating? It doesn't appear to be but my battery has gone down 2% while typing this message.

17. ohms12 macrumors 6502

ohms12

Massive improvements over Beta 1 for me. With beta 1 I'd be finishing my day with roughly 25-30% less battery than OS 2. With Beta 2? Well, at time of writing I'm at 65%. Pretty happy!

[​IMG]

18. devinthomas macrumors regular

I also just went to put my watch down for the nightly charge and I was shocked to find I was at 63% after all day wear and moderate use.

I will add that I reset my watch as brand new with the previous beta. Don't know if that's impacting anything but worth a mention.

19. ohms12 macrumors 6502

ohms12

Similar experience, actually. After seeing such horrific battery life in Beta 1 I did a re-pair - which failed. So I reset my watch and started over. Seems to have made a difference.

20. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Just got home from work. Watch has been off the charger for just over 12 hours and I had medium useage during the day. Mostly checked weather, sent and received iMessages and other notifications.

Got home at 72%. This is on par, if not better than it was on 2.2.1. Usually get between 65-75% after a work day, depending on use.

The was was repaired while on beta 1 and restored from backup. Battery was bad on beta 1 and took a few days on beta 2 thru a few charge cycles to finally settle in to where it is now.

Working a double later today. Watch will be off the charger from 6am till midnight. I'll post up a pic of the usage screen tomorrow after. Guessing I'll be in the 40% or above range. Which would be on par.

21. jeutie macrumors member

jeutie

So I've unpaired my watch again, rebooted it and deliberately chose to NOT unlock my Mac with my Apple Watch. My battery life is now back to normal (50% or more with moderate use) with a couple apps in the dock and background app refresh ON. Alas I think I found the culprit for the time being. The watch is probably keeps searching after a Mac all of the time which drains the battery quickly.

22. Camato macrumors member

Got the feeling: whow.. 6h from unplug and only 55% left? - I watched the percentages go down. My Watch had to be charged at 7PM.
    But.. and here comes the but:
    After this first day, the battery is incredible. I did not unpair it or did things to repair. I dont know, but everyone in the iOS forum section talks about indexing in the first days.. Dont know what a watch wants to index, but: now the battery is fine for me.

23. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

As I stated, took me a few days before it stabilized and I didn't do anything extra. I'm an hour and a half off the charger, still at 100%. First time I installed beta 1 by this time I was at 86-88%.

24. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Four hours in, at 96%. Just some weather updates and light messaging.

25. mhoepfin macrumors regular

Turn off SOS, after trying everything that finally fixed it for me.