Any BMW Owners/Fanatics?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by andreab35, Mar 29, 2009.

1. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Hi everyone!

My Dad was looking for a new car. He wasn't aiming at spending more than $10,000 for the time.

So, we both went to his friend's dealership, and we had a choice between 2 BMWs. One was a 1999 BMW 528i and a 2001 BMW 330xi.

I liked the 2001 the best since I settle on cars that are more nimble and compact with handling. Plus, it was an AWD which would be a plus for New England weather! I took a spin with the 1999 and I was not comfortable in it at all. It just felt, a bit boxy? But to make my Dad proud, I picked up the 1999. 69K is not too bad for mileage for a 1999. Basically, he called the 2001 "too feminine" for him to drive and it's a "poor man's BMW". But I tell you, that 3 series had "power" when that pedal was pressed. From th 5 series, I heard nothing unless I went temporarily deaf.

The 1999 is sitting in the garage right now. My Dad is cleaning it up proudly. He's planning on buying the "angel eyes" for looks. I'll be taking it for a spin again once it is registered and insured.

Anyways, my Dad was watching a video on how a BMW is built. I was extremely surprised of all the testing and technology that is put into the car to make such a quality built vehicle.
    It's better than a 2007 Hyundai I drove. Transmission problems at 15,000 miles. Every time I reached 40MPH, the car would start to vibrate taking me on a buzz ride! I'd have to switch gears to help the car shift out of its funk.

I went on BMW's website today and I **** my pants just taking a look at all the features their vehicles are equipped with. Talk about being over-engineered! But, overall, very impressive.

My favorite picks are the 5 series (2004+) and the 7 series (2003+).

What's your view on BMW's? In a couple of years if I start to like the car, I may go brand new.

*** For some reason, I HATE the gas pedal stuck on the floor.

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The E46 too feminine? A lot of BMW fans seem to say( or argue :p) the E46 was the best 3 series design. I say the E92 is. :cool: Anyway, my dad has an E90 335xi and that thing goes like nothing else with the TT I6.

3. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I much prefer the styling of the E46 to the newer models - same with the Fives and the Sevens. That look they had in the late-90s and early-00s was the best imho. I think the 5 Series styling from 1998 on was one of the best looking vehicles of all time..

OP: I've heard that BMWs are some of the safest cars on the road (and yes, I realize there are innumerable factors that go into saying that). I read once of a woman who was in a crash in her Bimmer with her kid in the childseat and after an accident that caused over $40,000 of damage to the car, both walked away fine and the baby wasn't even crying.

If I could afford one I'd buy one in a heartbeat, simply because I believe they're more safe than your average vehicle. Still, these days, they're making them all safer than ever before anyway (thx, Nader)

Before you up and spend $80k on a 7, be sure you'll be able to live with iDrive.

4. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I love BMWs, there is a reason why they are so expensive. I wish I can afford one though. My gf has a 128i manual, I love driving that thing and it's pretty fast and handles so well, even in snow. :eek:

I might take over my friend's 335xi's lease, it depends how much my insurance is though. :eek:

5. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

330xi is a much nicer car IMO, I dislike the 5 series, or even the 7 series...more of an M3, M5 fan.

6. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I've been a fan of BMW's for a long time. The M3 is one of my favourite cars of all time.

7. heron88 macrumors 6502

Yes, bmw's are like macs, except cars. If that makes any sense:D

I'm looking at picking up an 02 or 03 330ci soon, then dropping a turbo in it. If I could afford it though, I would definitely go for the TT 335ci, those things are sweet.

8. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

I too have been a big BMW fan for years. My dream car is actually a '73-'74 3.0cs coupe, which was the precursor to the 6 series. There aren't many still around town, but they are gorgeous cars if they're kept well-maintained.

9. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Was my dream car until my parents went against their usual vehicle of choice (MB) and got a BMW. I got to have it for 2 weeks when I visited them.

They got rid of it less than 6 months later. It was an 07 328, auto, bought brand new. First gear was odd, had to give it some gas or it would feel like it was a turbo waiting for it to kick in. Driven fast it was fine, but just around town was a pain. Felt like I was learning a manual tranny all over again, but this was an auto! A/C was horrible, it would take 10 minutes to get cool. Turn signals were odd, they didn't have a good enough "return" on them so it would stay flashing forever and when you left it on, it was too easy to activate the other side when you manually had to put the turn signal back to its home position.

The run flat tires would constantly go out of pressure and require a trip to the dealer as a regular guage wouldn't put them enough in spec to quiet the alarm on start up.

I always said I would buy one when I got out of school, but now I am unsure. Granted I would have had a manual and a coupe, but this experience soured me with them a little. Perhaps the next revision will reel me in, which is fine because thats when I will be looking to buy.

Something about those M3's though...

10. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I don't know how it is with the 328i/xi, but with the 335i/xi regular D mode does the exact same thing. If you put it in Sport or Manual mode it would get rid of that lag. It is simply how BMW programmed it most likely.

As with the turn signals, I am a bit confused. How the turning signal works on the latest BMW's is that if you press down on the stalk to activate the turning signals( it has two modes. 3 ticks for lane changes and where it stays for when you're turning) and then the stalk goes back to the neutral position. So when you push the stalk to activate the turn signal, it would stay down instead of going back to the neutral position? And the turning signals would stay on even when completing the turn?

Anyway that sucks they got a lemon. Happens to all manufactures.

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'd love to have an E30 M3, a 635CSi or an E39 5 series (perhaps the best sedan ever?). To me, these are the cars that define BMW.

The new ones are pretty ugly though. Bangle's styling was/is an abomination.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

We've had a 2002 525i since new. It's a very nice car to drive, but enough problems have cropped up over the years that we'd think twice about ever buying another BMW.

13. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

In our Aussie version, a 'tap' means that it goes for 3 ticks, a 'push' (so it clicks) means it goes until you turn or push it up.

We recently bought a basic commuter BMW (320d, ex-demo, most whistles). Frankly it's totally changed the way I look at buying cars. The thing is just so well put together, solid, comfortable and amazing. My iPhone doesn't work with the iDrive anymore.

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

With the amount of long-distance driving I do these days, I'd be interested in a diesel 3 or 5 series. If I could find a nice used model I'd probably take it over a diesel VW.

15. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The same with the US models. Sorry, I did put 3 seconds instead of 3 ticks. :eek:

16. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I understand the touch for a quick lane change as the MB's have it as well. This one was a hair touch, you would hit it and there was too fine of a line between that quick change vs. turn signal always on. Just indicating for a lane change on the freeway would leave the blinker on the whole time, then you would have to hit it to go back so the signals would turn off and you would activate the other side. I would go down the freeway/street signaling every which way.

I tried putting it into and out of sport mode / winter mode whatever it was. No difference on first gear. Thats what I thought initially, but there was no change unfortunately.

Let me say as well that I am a car person. I change my own oil and work on my cars. I am 27. I am not some person who can't figure out their own toys and needs someone to do it for them.

I understand the lemon part, if it was mine it would be back at the dealer for a new one or a fix until I was happy. My parents just want a car they can drive and not worry about it. I know MB doesn't fit that bill for most people, but for them it does. They seem to have good luck with MB and they like them.

But to me a MB is an older persons car. When I am ready to buy, BMW will be one I test for sure.

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Ever heard of AMG? ;)

I wouldn't mind having a nice 190E, I could pretend it was an Evolution model.

18. golfhero macrumors member

I have a 2005 BMW M3 - love it... Have had no problems and it is a rocket... I was not a huge fan of the new M3 but it is starting to grow on me... Might sound strange, but my M3 is also good in the Canadian winters - traction control with sport winter tires makes totally fun to drive in the winter.

19. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The C63 AMG goes like a monster in a straight line. But, the interior is absolute crap and handling is a joke.

The Black Series is really nice and I don't know about the other AMG's to really speak about them.

20. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

I agree.

BMW makes a fine car, when they work that is. Mechanically they're great, but electrically they're a mess. They're a pain in the ass to work on, and the parts are expensive, and if you take it to a dealer, prepare to bend over.

Radiator replacment on my 2003 M3: $650 at the dealer, $450 from a unauthorised mechanic, parts were over $200 and it would have required extensive labor on my part to even get the old one out.

Radiator replacement on my 2004 Ranger: $230 at the dealer, I bought the parts for $70 and did it myself in about an hour.

And of course while I've had my M3 there have been various other issues, mostly electrical. A climate control thermal zone sensor quit, then the radio volume control knob died, then the passenger side window regulator quit, along with probably 10 other minor issues I have yet to fix.

And this is why I always can't help but laugh every time someone compares an Apple computer to a BMW...

21. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Who would you compare Apple to? Only other car maker I can compare Apple to is Infiniti. All German automakers seem to suffer with the electrical gremlins since they insist on stuffing their vehicles with technology. Lexus? They are not that visually appealing( not that they are ugly, they are just bland mobiles).

22. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Even most of the non-AMG models are pretty well designed and fast. I've driven the S550 and the CL600, and if those are old persons cars I don't know what a young persons car is. They easily keep up with BMWs, and the S550's is much more stylish than the 7 series, IMO. The CL600 is by far the fastest and sportiest coupe I've driven, I can't imagine what the CL65 is like.

I like the new 335 coupe, but I've heard they ride poorly for the price (thats coming from a Mini owner, and you can feel every pebble in those), I'll reserve judgement until I've driven one, however.

23. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Still, hardly sounds like an "old person's car, does it? That was my point.

But I have heard plenty about build quality issues in Mercs up until recently, and I prefer BMW as a sports sedan over the Merc.

I think some of those AMGs are just way overpowered, it's for bragging rights and little else. I'd be happy with a non-AMG SL as a second car.

24. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

I wouldn't compare them to any car manufacturer.

25. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Just my view on MB. Seem more like a touring sedan who happens to make some fast vehicles. Probably because I grew up with my parents having Benzes, so it made me think of them as an adult car. Plus I equate sedans with older people and coupes with younger people.

Last I checked AMG models were still all automatics. I would gladly row my own in a beast like the E55 or SL65 (or whatever number it is now).

Just my opinion, to each their own.

Now the CLS, that is a damn fine looking car. Never been in one, but they have turned my head.