Any California Apple Stores with high-res?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by murdercitydevil, Apr 14, 2010.

1. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Title says it all. I'm willing to take a mini-road trip to virtually any CA apple store if they have high-res models in stock. Does anyone know of one?

If not ATM, then please post back if you discover one! Thanks.

2. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

anybody? I'm guessing stock levels aren't high enough yet.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

4. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I've called the stores in my area (I think 10 total based on Apple's store locator) but there's like 50 total in california and I have not called them all. I'm thinking maybe someone has seen them personally in a store and could comment on it.

5. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Called more stores. A few said they would be getting them in later, most of them denied everything. I guess it's still too early to get a good idea since most stores haven't gotten any more shipments yet.

6. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I was in the one at Lenox Mall in Atlanta and they basically don't really know much about hi-res vs. standard-res. My feeling is until they find out that there is now a different type of MBP, you will get a lot of wild stares and little good information.

Right now, I gather that stores only have standard-res models in stock. :)

7. jgerry macrumors member

I talked to someone on the phone at the Lenox store today. They knew the difference between the high-res & regular-res models. They said they only SKUs they stock in the stores are the base models as listed on the web site. All other stuff is a BTO option and has to be ordered & shipped.

8. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I live in Studio City and the little lady and I will be at the mall tonight, so I will check the Topanga Mall for you....tomorrow when I am at work downtown, I have a Genius Bar appt. anyway so I will keep and eye out there for you too.

9. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming. :)

10. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I'm really getting annoyed how little the employees at Apple stores know. When I called one store, I got a dumbfounded response from who I naturally assumed was a young, blond high school girl "Uhhhhhh.....uhhhh.....you mean....uhhh......the glossy?" Not only that, but the lack of communication between stores. It's as if they're completely oblivious to other stores' existence. Either no one knows anything or they tell you something they personally think is true regardless of whether they actually know the answer or not.

So, the real question is, aside from california, can anyone CONFIRM that apple stores SOMEWHERE carry the high-res 15" MBP? If they do, it's very hard to believe that California stores won't at some point get them as well. I'm very tempted to return this MBP and get a BTO machine online, but dread the thought of shipping times. Additionally, there have been no reviews/comparisons/images of this option yet, so I really want to get some more info on it before I switch.

11. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

I called an apple store in Augusta, GA, and the woman said they had hi-res glossy and matte in stock. It sort of sounded too good to be true, so maybe she was just confused.

12. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Yeah, another thing is you really cant trust what they tell you. Maybe she thought you were talking about the 17", since it's marketed as "high res" by Apple as well.

13. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

It's over an hour drive anyway, so I just ordered online. I would have liked to see the hi-res in person before I bought, but oh well.

14. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I've seen it, I like it, and really that's all that matters.

15. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Apparently the first high res models shipped to online orders today, maybe stores will start getting them too. Keep your eyes peeled, people!

16. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

That's what I was thinking too, and I really hope so. I'm tired of waiting.

Also, the high res models need to come to the Miami area :)

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Could have confused it with the 17" model. I was at Tysons Corner yesterday and they had both screens in the 17".

18. modular macrumors regular

if calling an apple store, it might be a good idea to just ask if they have the 15 inch "antiglare" model in stock.

the antiglare will guarantee that it is a high res screen. They stocked the C2D anti-glares at the stores before so they should be familiar with it.

19. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I don't understand. Does ordering antiglare with the 2010 MBP imply that you're getting the high res option too? you can't have 1440x900 antiglare anymore?

20. modular macrumors regular

I believe so. there are 3 options for the 15" display at the apple online store:

Glossy Widescreen Display
    Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display [Add $100.00]
    Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display [Add $150.00]

21. erure macrumors regular

I called maybe 15 stores yesterday to see if anyone stocked the 15-inch antiglare. Nope. I don't know if it's a new policy and they'll never stock antiglare options anymore, or if it's just taking a little longer to get the antiglare models. I think one or two stores did have the 17-inch in antiglare though. I ended up ordering BTO yesterday and I'm wondering if I did the right thing :(

(I live in San Diego btw :))

22. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I went into the Sacramento Arden Apple store yesterday.

-They have the high res 15" glossy in stock
    -They don't have any high res 15" on display (at least not yet, bummer)
    -According to the concierge girl, they will be carrying antiglare high res models in store soon

23. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

Ahh, Tysons is my usual mall :)
    I actually did ask if they had 15" anti-glare just to make sure she knew what she was taking about. She replied "yes, we have everything"

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They stocked the older model with anti glare; basically it was the top-tier channel configuration with anti glare added… otherwise everything else was stock; that's basically what I ordered online.

25. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Local store stocks the 15" hi-res anti-glare, but does not have any on display (but not in California, sorry). I'm guessing many stores will probably have a similar setup due to limited display space.