Any casual users going from an iPad Air to iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zooby, Sep 19, 2015.

1. zooby, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

if you are watching vids and surfing mostly, what do you gain of buying a larger screen? Only thing wanting me to get ipadpro is the pencil support. However, im going to wait and see it irl and some reviews before deciding. It is heavier, larger and probably not so easy to handle: only because it is alot heavier than air2, it makes me wondering how good it is to keep it on one hand.

3. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

Not casual, but will use for only work, Microsoft Office by key app, I'm intrigued.

4. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I'm most likely going to waste a my of money on the Pro. The pencil intrigues me and that's really my only reason for considering buying it.

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I use the iPad Air right now for my go to device while at home.

I'll be watching the real end user reviews on YouTube etc to see if I want to spend in the region of £500+

6. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Well... Currently my iPad Air 2 feels more pro than the Pro itself. What is pissing me off is the fact that you can't get Cellular on iPad Pro untill you buy the 1100€ model. Thats crazy.

I want to use my iPad where ever I happen to be so cellular is a must have.

7. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I'm considering it but I want to see the UK price first. I have the Air so no multi-tasking like the Air 2 has which is something I really wanted so I may upgrade to the iPad Pro as I'd get the multitasking I want and the larger screen and pen input for drawing which I also desire.

I really feel this product will live and die for me on the 3rd party apps. I really want to see an app that turns the iPad Pro into a wacom, something I can link to my Mac or PC and use in big boy photoshop and have the screen of the iPad Pro mirror my Photoshop canvas. Essentially making the iPad Pro a low cost wacom cintiq while still maintaining its tablet usefulness.

We'll see come October if I get one or not.

8. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

But surely you know about tethering?

9. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Yes. Annoying. Eats my phone battery faster. And too much of a hassle even after the improvements with iOS8.

10. joscejrod macrumors 6502

joscejrod

Ipad pro is not for casual use... Only for working on a table.

11. Oakmhcky21 macrumors member

Ipad air screen is to big for me. It's nice for when I'm using it for college books, but other than that I do not touch it. Love the mini size for everyday use, but it's to small for the books in my opinion.

Most likely won't upgrade my iPads again. Now that (most likely) both the air and mini will be using old technology.

12. Dave245 macrumors 601

I intend to get one, mainly because of the Apple pencil, larger screen and I think it would be great companion to the Mac. Running word processors and photoshop will be great on it (as demoed by Adobe at the keynote) I do think it will also be great for watching movies. It really depends on what you intend to do with the iPad Pro, its not going to be for everyone just like the iPhone 6 Plus isn't.

13. ozaz macrumors 65816

I really want Apple Pencil (have wanted a proper stylus since the first iPad).

But iPad Pro is too big for me. So I'm hoping the next version of iPad Air and iPad mini will gain Apple Pencil support and then I'll upgrade my iPad immediately.

14. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Agreed on the cellular support only being offered on the top a total BS move. That right there is a deal killer since for that price I can keep my perfectly working Air AND grab a MacBook or a refurbed rMBP. Can't do it. No way. The extra RAM and larger screen are great but there isn't enough else there for me to part with that kind of cash. Oh well.

15. 007p macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't you gain a lot from the bigger screen when watching videos? Obviously depends on where your wanting to watch videos, but if it's not during travelling then it's a big plus no?

Personally I'm interested in it for the larger screen but I'm going to wait to see what happens with 2nd gen.

I'd love usb-c instead of lightning or at worst a usb3 -> lightning, 256gb storage and to see how 'pro apps' turn out. Be nice to see if we can get some more dev apps, would definitely be interested if there was a mobile version of Xcode for example , probably won't happen but who knows..

16. Undo macrumors member

The iPad Pro will be my very first iPad, even if it can't connect to a Mac Mini as its display. (Which I'm sure it will be able to do in some fashion.) The large size gives it lap-ability to free up both hands for natural typing on the full-size software keyboard. And like others have said, the big screen and pencil are deal makers. I will use it for study/research, note taking, GarageBand, sheet music, watching videos/movies, drawing and any other Adobe CC work it's capable of. I use Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Audition, Premiere Pro, and Dreamweaver on my Macbook. So any Adobe power apps for the iPad Pro would be that much sweeter!

17. mattoligy macrumors 6502

mattoligy

The U.K. Price for the 128GB WiFi will be £789!

18. Undo macrumors member

This too!

19. 007p macrumors 6502a

Really? I thought it would in the range of £900-£1000, are you sure it's only £789?

20. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

I'm thinking about it, but I can't quite shed the feeling that it's really not offering much that would really make a big difference to me. The advantages of the bigger screen are off-set by the downsides of it being more bulky. Some gain, some loss, and somehow I'm not sure it's worth whatever it will cost in Europe. Part of my concern is that it's a first generation device, and that by the time app support is on a good level, the revised model will be released.

So, I go back and forth between "I'd be nice to have" and "Neat, but I can wait a year", which isn't necessarily the kind of feeling that is a good basis for buying more stuff. :) This would probably be different if I didn't have an Air 2 already. If I was on an iPad 4 or older, I'd go with the Pro without much pondering. But with the Air 2 in the picture, I just don't feel the "pull".

21. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

I keep on changing my mind. To be honest I'm most interested in the pen and being able to do sketching as well as using it as a cintique alternative with apps like AstroPad/Air Display 3. The price is a bit hard to swallow. If the base had 64GB I would get the base. However if I get any model at this point it will be the 128GB without LTE.

22. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Have you heard of Astropad? Draw on the iPad while using Photoshop on your Mac. Totally wireless. It was rather useless to me with all the crappy styluses I've tried (even Wacom's pressure-sensitive sausage stylus for iPad) -- but this is probably going to be my first purchase when I get the iPad Pro.

Procreate for "offline" painting/sketching when I'm on the go, and Astropad to paint in Photoshop when I'm at home.

23. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I haven't just heard of Astropad, I've used it! - And yes that is exactly the kind of thing I want on the iPad Pro. I feel its low latency pen input will get some competitors to Astropad in the market and I'm looking forward to seeing what develops for the same reasons as yourself.

24. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Where is that number from? - Also what about the lower end models. I don't need 128GB storage.

25. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I watch Netflix a bit, but mostly I write, and the Air 2 is awesome... but I've got around 700 notes (and growing fast) and the keyboard lags a bit, so I am hoping the additional RAM in the Pro will alleviate that. I will preorder it but won't open until I visit a Apple store and test the size out. I can't believe the weight is only 1/2 a pound heavier than the Air 2 (and 8mm thicker.) That's amazing how thin and light it is, but it is still huge and I just hope it won't be too flimsy or bendy.
    I have a friend that works at Apple so hopefully I can take him up in his offer for a discount... Or if not that, I hope they offer a student one.

Kal.