Any chance Apple will let people disable the lock screen?

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
I know it's a long shot but I'm planning to go for an iPhone 6 and what I'll miss from my Galaxy S4 is not having to have a lock screen, I just press the home button and the screen turns on and I'm at my home screen.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
I know it's a long shot but I'm planning to go for an iPhone 6 and what I'll miss from my Galaxy S4 is not having to have a lock screen, I just press the home button and the screen turns on and I'm at my home screen.
I'd say the chances are just about zero.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Use TouchID. Or jailbreak.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I haven't liked it so far to be honest, seems to not read my fingerprint very well.
Seems to take about half a second for mine to unlock. It does better with my right thumb than my left.

Have you tried to setup TouchID again and re-scanned your fingerprint?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It does seem daft to have a lock screen if you disable passcodes and Touch ID. With Android, if you don't use a passcode the lock screen disappears, which it should as it's redundant.

cambookpro

Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
The lock screen serves to make sure your phone doesn't go dialling people in your pocket, or opening a video that drains your battery etc.

It definitely serves a purpose.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
The lock screen serves to make sure your phone doesn't go dialling people in your pocket, or opening a video that drains your battery etc.

It definitely serves a purpose.
This is not an issue. My current phone never pocket dials. It would require a home button press and like 3 menus to call someone. It's never happened.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I haven't liked it so far to be honest, seems to not read my fingerprint very well.
Scan your thumb as multiple fingers; makes a big difference. I have the first two fingers as my right thumb, the second two as my left, and the last as my right index finger. I forget my phone even has security enabled it's so smooth and fast.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Surely we can slate various parts of iOS and Apple hardware without necessarily wanting to jump ship. Apple get quite a few things wrong in my opinion, but the overall product is still a viable one.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
... who said it was a deal breaker?
It's at least the second thread that you've brought the lock screen up in. It sounds like it will be a problem for you.

----------

C'mon, dude; he asked a harmless question. Considering it's a guy who's potentially thinking about switching from Android to iOS, let's try to be helpful instead of combative.
Sorry if I came off that way, I was only suggesting that he keep what he has since it sounds like the iphone won't work for him. The S4 isn't a bad phone.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I don't know much about it, but there's a jailbreak tweak called SkipLock that allows you to bypass the lock screen. Might be a possibility once someone jailbreaks iOS 8.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
It's at least the second thread that you've brought the lock screen up in. It sounds like it will be a problem for you.

----------

Sorry if I came off that way, I was only suggesting that he keep what he has since it sounds like the iphone won't work for him. The S4 isn't a bad phone.
I don't think it's a bad phone by design by samsung quality sucks. The battery life is abysmal too.

I still never said it was a deal breaker.

cambookpro

Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
This is not an issue. My current phone never pocket dials. It would require a home button press and like 3 menus to call someone. It's never happened.
My friend had an Android phone with the lock screen disabled and he managed to pocket call 999. I'm not saying it's hugely likely, but I think it's such a small inconvenience to deal with compared to what could happen if you were unlucky enough for that to happen.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
My friend had an Android phone with the lock screen disabled and he managed to pocket call 999. I'm not saying it's hugely likely, but I think it's such a small inconvenience to deal with compared to what could happen if you were unlucky enough for that to happen.
A case would prevent that. Anyway, the option to remove it would be nice. It's great with Android phones to have a factory case, where a magnet opens the home page when you flip the lid. Straight in with no messing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.