Any Chance for a Darker Theme?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Traverse, May 12, 2018.

1. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Those of you looking for a darker theme for MR ought to check out PRSI. Ba dum tssh.

Seriously though, one more vote for a dark theme UI!

2. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Thanks for the astute observation of PRSI :eek: and the fish link to the Ba dum tssh.

Not sure about need for a dark theme at MR. Sometimes I hit sites where I find their dark theme default illegible, yet on other sites I have resorted to inverting colors to be able to read their light-themed pages comfortably. Here I usually get by ok just adusting brightness.

Maybe it's my aging eyes. I vaguely remember being 30-something and setting pastel background colors in text documents while using a pale grey font color. If I didn't hear "what an idiot" it's because I was too busy imagining the applause for the artistic sophistication of my work.

3. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Dark theme would be great. I like to wind down at night by browsing on an iPad. Unfortunately with most websites it's like having a flashlight blaring into my face.

4. 960design macrumors 68030

Dark preference is coming to Safari. I'm currently updating all my sites to incorporate this right now:
    https://webkit.org/blog/8475/release-notes-for-safari-technology-preview-68/

tl;dr;
    Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 6.56.49 AM.png

5. slylandro_probe macrumors newbie

slylandro_probe

I agree. This would be a fantastic feature to have on MacRumors.

As an aside: is anyone else having trouble seeing the text in the reply box? For me, the text is totally black and the box is grey, so I can hardly read anything in it. I'm actually writing this reply in a text editor because I can't even read what I'm writing on the MacRumors reply box itself.

6. jtara macrumors 68000

MDN (which is usually reliable) botched the description of prefers-color-scheme I think...

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/@media/prefers-color-scheme

The prefers-color-scheme CSS media feature is used to detect if the user has requested that the system minimize the amount of animation or motion it uses

They don't list browser compatibility, nor does CaniUse.com list it, and it's shown as a draft standard.

So, don't expect much support yet.

This is the right way to do it, though, rather than just arbitrarily changing the color scheme. White-background sites are of course going to look awkward when viewed on a dark-theme desktop.

A light/dark theme option seems silly, given that there IS an emerging standard.