Any chance new MacPros have more than 16GB RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by firstyearprof, Oct 31, 2007.

1. firstyearprof macrumors member

Hi all,

What is the chance that the new mac pro will have a limit that is > 16GB RAM? Frankly, I need all I can get. I'm working with huge datasets (millions of genes on thousands of individuals), and I can't do it on my current 4GB RAM, hence waiting (im)patiently for the new MacPro. Price isn't a concern. Even 16 is looking like it has limits with the larger genetic datasets that are around the corner.

On a side note, I sure do miss Eminem. You know who I mean (I hear that you can't use his real name or your post gets zapped... feels like I'm living in China). He made these boards. Allow him back please!

2. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

The current Mac Pro supports 32GB, but it is so expensive that only ars technica that I know of has tested it. Any new model probably wouldn't support anything more, and 8GB sticks aren't available so you couldn't do any more than 32GB anyway.

3. firstyearprof thread starter macrumors member

No kidding? I thought the cap was 16. If 32 that's good, but you have to buy 8 at a time? I guess my question would be - are they going to have more than 4 slots for the RAM? Anyone ever heard of machines with 8 and a max of 64? Ok, I'm getting greedy now...

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It has 8 slots already and forum user mward333 has 32Gbs see this thread

5. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

16GB of RAM costs over $3000-$5000 :eek:

32GB of RAM is costs...??

6. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

look @ the thread that xUKHCx posted ...

7. turtletooth macrumors newbie

The mac BOOK pro is 4gb tops...
    sorry to dash yer hopes

8. firstyearprof thread starter macrumors member

Doh!

Guess I should have searched before asking. Thanks for all the help. Yes - I meant MacPro, not Macbook Pro.

I read that whole thread I was referred to- that fellow buying the macpro and I are in similar situations (although I don't need 4 30" monitors!!). And thanks for letting me know about the 8 slots.

Basically, I think I'll buy 16 GB to start with in 2GB increments - I saw that Eminem (MM) said that he could get 2x2GB for $400, so the total cost would be "only" $1600. If I need to upgrade in the future, I could start taking out the 2's and putting in 4's. My guess is that by that time, the total price I pay will be lower than if I started buying in 4GB increments now...

9. Macintosh Sauce macrumors 6502

Macintosh Sauce

10. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

11. adamzx3 macrumors regular

adamzx3

You can actually get 2x2gb ram (4GB) for $194 now through Omni, its even certified ram. They have 16GB for $799. I've used 2GB on my MBP and works great. They have the standard specs and also a slightly faster latency for a little more, I belive the 2x2GB "hyper" performace is like $225 or so with a CAS of 3/4 or somthing like that....worth checking out though.

Also I have a question...are all apps limited to 3 or 4 GB of ram or can you use more in leopard? I was dissapointed to see PS CS3 can only use 3GB..bummer!

12. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

16GB is $799 at Omni Technologies. Great price. Great dealer. Apple rip you off with RAM.

13. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

Applications will need to be rebuilt to support 64-bit memory allocation. PS CS3 is still 32-bit, as are the rest of the apps available for OS X. Until it's rebuilt, it can't allocate more.

jas

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That and the Xserve Intel machine has shipped since day 1 with 32GB of RAM ... though the price was something else. ;)

15. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

Actually, I've heard from very reliable sources that 32 GB can work (8 sticks, 4 GB each), but I decided that the price was unjustified. So I settled for a mere 16 GB (8 sticks, 2 GB each).

I love having my Mac Pro, and the 16 GB turns out to be enough for me, for right now.