Any chance that we will see Sandy Bridge on Macbook this year?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by born4sky, Jan 10, 2011.

1. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

Whats your thoughts on it? I hope apple will jump on it, it's more power efficient, less heat, better performance.

dreaming...

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, SNB CPUs will appear on new MacBook Pros eventually. No one knows when. But yes, they will.

Also, next time do search, this topic has been discussed to death here....

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would be surprised if Apple didn't. What's the point of updating MBPs if they don't really update them? Whether we will see SB in all MBPs or just in some of them is a whole new question though.

4. zodqyv macrumors regular

The only way Apple won't move the whole lineup to Sandy Bridge is if they choose to ship a machine with AMD inside. Then again, I was pretty surprised when last year's 13" MacBook Pro shipped with a Core2Duo. :eek:

>90% chance for Sandy Bridge
    <9% chance for AMD
    <1% chance for another C2D

5. born4sky thread starter macrumors 6502a

born4sky

I wish you were right ;)

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Sandy Bridge? Yes. Quad core? It's a toss up.

SB brings an i7 processor to the table which runs on 17 watts which is incredible energy efficiency and there is no reason not to use that on numerous models and trims as it brings maximum capability with minimal consumption.

Sandy Bridge is really interesting as the models that will replace the Atom processors are much more powerful but also are very low energy. The decrease in power consumption with the next generation processor, Ivy Bridge, will take it even further and Ivy Bridge should standardize quad cores in portables.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

We have had 17W CPUs for ages. I can't see Apple using them in any other Mac but MBA. Those are ULV chips, i.e. the most power efficient models which are designed for small laptops, such as 11.6" MBA. Due to their low power consumption, their performance is also low compared to higher voltage parts. Come on, they are ~1.5GHz.

There isn't a model that is supposed to replace Atom. Atoms have even lower TDP, ranging from 0.65W to 13W, plus most, if not all Atoms are sub-$100 CPUs while Sandy Bridge ULVs start from 250$. Atoms are much different and are aimed at budget netbooks

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I think it is the first 17 watt i7 (although IIRC an Arrandale i7 is only around 20 watts), but none the less, it is a step towards more efficient computing and the standardization of quad cores. At 1.5GHz, it IIRC will be the fastest processor that uses only 17 watts of power and that 1.5GHz can still be faster with hyperthreading/turbo boost, can't it?

There are Sandy Bridge Pentium models for desktops starting at $60 and the laptops will have a SB i3 and Celeron (dual core/threads) has been announced for entry level notebooks/netbooks. I really think (and hope) we will see some inexpensive and capable processors.

Also, isn't the upcoming 32nm Atom (or whatever name is used to replace it) based on Sandy Bridge as well as the 22nm shrink?

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Arrandale ULVs were 18W and topped out at 1.46GHz. SBs do have more aggressive Turbo (up to 2.7GHz for ULVs compared to 2.53GHz in Arrandale), but I wouldn't say it's that huge step. Pretty similar to what other models got.

Atom is the brand name, I don't think it's going to be replaced. I'm not sure what microarchitecture Atoms use but next gen Atoms are supposed to have twice the performance over the current Atoms. Atoms are still much smaller though, the dual core Atom is 484mm^2 while SB ULV is 744mm^2, that is important in small form factors

10. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Perhaps it isn't a huge step, but it is none the less exciting as it is going to change the market. I'm really excited about Ivy Bridge though which I feel will have the same major impact on the computer world that the Core has done. There are a lot of developing technologies which are all proving to be great and have numerous advantages over other options. Also, they all compliment each other. I'm sure it has happened before but this coming blend of harmony is pretty rare.

11. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

if we don't, think of all the violence the currently waiting MBP people are gonna get into.. its too risky for apple for them to update their products with a C2D (though discontinued, they must have some number in stock?)

now going off the C2D discontinuation, do you think they will deplete their C2D stocks then update it or just leave those for the MBA or sell them or do something

12. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I've wondered that question myself as Apple had to anticipate how many processors they would use which is obviously an estimate. Sooner or later they will run out...you'de think.

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Intel will ship all mobile Core 2 Duo orders until October 14, 2011.

14. joeshaw92 macrumors member

Course they will!

The only reason they didn't in the first place is because Intel wouldn't let Nvidia use their graphics chips, leaving jobs do decide whether to stick with core 2 duos and good graphics, or use a core processor with integrated graphics.

Now that Intel is now letting nvidia use their graphics chips with their processors, we are most likely looking at a core i3-i5 with a geforce 330m

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Intel is not. The settlement went live earlier today and it clearly states that NVidia cannot make chipsets for new Intel CPUs. It never affected discrete NVidia GPUs but 13" MBP is currently using NVidia chipset with NVidia IGP. That is not going to happen with newer Intel CPUs.

15" MBP is already using iX CPUs and 330M but the 330M is a discrete chip, not an IGP.

16. joeshaw92 macrumors member

Exactly, so it would be an intel chipset with a discrete nvidia graphics chip instead of the IGP surely?