Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infernohellion

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2006
København
I think it's too much of a trouble to carry the 17" around the campus.

I only carry my EEE PC around the campus, leaving my 17" at the apartment as a desktop replacement. At my uni, there really is no need to carry the 17" around. The lecture desks are too small for the 17" anyway.

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Carrying a 17" MBP is like carrying a 15" MBP, there is no damn difference.

When I got my Air though, then you could feel the difference.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I found that my MacBook is sufficient. A 17" becomes a drag after some time due to its size and weight.

13" is perfect for course work and day to day, hence my decision for the MB

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Depends on what your major is and how often you use it at school really.

My major was Net/Sys Administration and the majority of our coursework is in the computer labs where we constantly do a lot of research. The computer labs themselves are usually not connected to the Internet due to some of the security work that we are doing and we are not allowed to let it spread outward to the Internet. So having a laptop benefit most of us in that field, we often use the laptops to do analysis, data collection, presentations, group collaboration and so on. The bigger the screen, the better for that kind of work.

Now I spent usually about 50-60 hours a week at college (basically considered it my second home), so my first laptop was 15" and then upgraded to 17" MBP, it definitely helped me a lot as a main portable machine that I can bring with me everywhere. I'm a big dude, so 17" was not that heavy by itself, but start adding the books, it definitely change the whole story. I mostly never need to bring books with me, so it didn't change my mind about having the 17". But there were some days where I had to bring stuff with me, I did wish I had the 13" or MBA with me instead of the 17".

Now, if i didn't spend as much time at school as I did, i would say that the 17" would not be worth the cost. I rather use the 13" mb or a netbook instead and have an iMac or MacPro at home.

Harmless Abuse

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Currently, I'm lugging around a 13in MacBook.

Before that though, I was carrying a 15in Compaq notebook.

I'm considering going back to 15in because of the screen. I just use my notebook for taking notes, and writing a lot of papers. The added weight of the 17in seems rather discouraging, since right now the 13in along with textbooks is getting somewhat hefty, though bearable.

If all you're carrying is the MacBook Pro, then don't worry about it, but if you're lugging around multiple textbooks, you might want to reconsider.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
I have a 15 mbp and don't carry it because its a little too awkward to be carrying around all the time.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I used to carry a 17" MBP around campus; now I have a 15" MBP and I didn't notice much of a difference. However carrying a MacBook is a bit different—so much smallers and versatile.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
In weight I dont notice any difference between a 15" or a 17" mbp.

BUT the main difference you feel is when you want to stuff your notebook in your backpack, the 17" mbp takes a bit longer to do so because its much longer and sometimes my backpack barely zips up. And yes I have the typical jansport backpack.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I carry my 17" unibody around campus all the time. I even take it with me when I'm on my bike (whenever the weather allows me to ride). It's not that much different, in my opinion, from carrying around my 13" macbook.

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
I'm a current college student and carrying around the 17" isn't bad at all. It's not "burdensome" at all. Anyone who says otherwise must weigh 75 pounds.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I just finished my undergrad. The computer of choice was a 12" PowerBook, which I plugged up to a 20" Dell monitor in my dorm. I had the best of both worlds: small, light and portable for on the go plus screen space when needed for research and papers.

mikekelley

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
I've had a 17" for all four years of undergrad. A powerbook for the first three and the new uni 17" as of right now.

It is not too much. The 17" is so nice to have, fer chrissakes just go with it and be happy. THe resolution is great, I can spread out notes all over the screen, have a browser open as well as word for note-taking, etc. It can really do it all, and the real estate is great for doing any kind of artsy work - photography, design, etc. It's also great to have for group work, as everyone can gather round and see everything.

apple2E

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2008
CA
In college I was a multimedia student. The larger was better for design and editing apps along with how it actually did render faster than most people with the 15".

I love my 17" unibody!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I used to carry a 17" MBP around campus; now I have a 15" MBP and I didn't notice much of a difference.

The response from those people who have owned both have been interesting, and pretty much what I expected.

Funny thing is that if you're comparing the new unibody 17" MBP to the previous "classic" 15" MBP, the difference in size and weight is actually smaller now. The unibody 15" MBP is actually larger than the previous 15" MBP model in physical size, and weight. This means that when choosing between the unibody 15" and 17" MBP, the size difference is even less, and there's even less reason to go with the 15" MBP if you have the money for both. :confused: Personally, I'd either get the MacBook, or the 17" MBP. I guess if the screen resolution of the 15" MBP increased to 1680 x 1050, I'd change my mind.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
The only real difference between the two MBP sizes seems to be $ and screen real estate. I've only had 12/13/15" laptops, never a 17", but after seeing those big, beautiful screens I'll probably trade up from my 15" Unibody to the 17" if and when they ever get Blu-ray into those machines.

Tomb01

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
Colleyville, TX
Old guy...

Well, I'm an old guy, professional who travels a LOT, and I have a rolling bag. In that environment, I never actually CARRY my laptop, just pop it in and out of the rolling bag. Weight was a much bigger consideration, though, than size, as the bag itself tends to reach maximum entropy (somehow manages to fill itself up!), and at that point getting it on and off the plane or in and out of the car is a royal pain. That being said, the 17" macbook is only a few ounces heavier than the 14.1" Lenovo machine I was carrying..... The only real downside to the 17" from a professional travel perspective is the difficulty using it in coach airplane seats.... I never actually carry the laptop around in my hands, would be surprised if many of you do, either, just take it out of my bag and use it, then when I am done I put it back in the bag. If I do carry it, it is almost always closed, or if open for just a short distance, so the light MacBook pro is still fine for that.... My wife, on the other hand, moves hers around a lot open and working (different kind of sales job) so has an Air.

Intense

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
toronto
just from a college notebook user's perspective: a little extra desk space can be useful sometimes. I carry a 12" widescreen dell d430 ... it takes just the right amount of space, anything larger than that cancels the possibility of putting my phone next to the laptop. Sometimes I txt msg during lectures and i want to see the phone light-up when a txt msg arrives, as the vibration is too loud and the ringer is not a choice.

tecknical

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
i carry around a 17 in pretty much every day. its not that much of a hassle, you just have to be able to put up with the extra weight.

trekster

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2009
Downey,CA
Well, it's only heavy for me since I use a messenger bag and I carry a folder, 2 thick notebooks, and a heavy textbook. It stresses my shoulder a bit. It all depends on how much you carry.

sehnsucht77

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
medicine/research student: 15 MBP is portable enough for me but not as portable as my old 12" ibook. i was choosing between a 17" and a 15 before and i decided on the 15 after 6 months after having observed different people with various sized laptops. the 15 has more than enough juice for my needs and it isn't too bulky that it would become obtrusive over time.

kennyli

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008
Hong Kong
OMG .........after reading this thread, I've discovered 2 things:

1. Students are rich! 17" MacBook Pro for taking notes :eek:

2. You guys don't use pencil and paper any more?

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
OMG .........after reading this thread, I've discovered 2 things:

1. Students are rich! 17" MacBook Pro for taking notes :eek:

2. You guys don't use pencil and paper any more?
Are you serious?

1. The thing is, if they're going to be spending tens of thousands (some hundreds) on university, what's another couple thousand on something that will facilitate your life incredibly? Not to mention sometimes the university pays for it, or the parents.

2. ... Are you kidding me. No, we don't. I don't know about everyone, but I can type literally four times quicker than I can print. Not to mention my notes won't wrinkle, get lost, etc., they're distributable, backed up, and with me everywhere organized completely and all in one source. When technology is part of life today, why WOULDN'T it be used?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.