Any compelling studies or surveys predicting Verizon and iPhone usage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Slip Jigs, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Just wondering. It's obvious now why AT&T offered the upgrade to everyone last year. Also obvious, Verizon iPhone customers will consist of 1st time iPhone users, and those coming from AT&T - some will pay out of their contract, some who didn't upgrade and are no longer in a contract, and some who may have two phones and accounts.

There may also be a big spike in new Verizon customers in 2012 when our current contracts expire. It will also be interesting to see how this shift affects the networks.

Like I said, just wondering what the predictions are now and compare that to how it will actually play out.

2. landscapeman macrumors regular

Android users already use more data than iPhone users. So I would assume that Verizon has seen the blunders that ATT has gone through and prepared for it.

3. Megavolt419 macrumors newbie

They better offer unlimited data for at least a few more week's after iphone come's out.

If they charge higher then at&t current data price's, then Verizon will not get a lot of new customers.

4. landscapeman macrumors regular

True

5. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Verizon has offered an unlimited plan w/ tethering for android since android's inception. What would make them do anything different for the iPhone? You guys are making it sound like the iPhone is the largest data hog phone in the world and Verizon is going to screw over all of it's users. That's not the way you get business. Verizon isn't AT&T. You all need to remember that.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Just curious, but where'd you find this?
    Not saying you're wrong, but was just wondering if you had a link.

7. Megavolt419 macrumors newbie

They are just being silent about it, maybe it is too keep at&t form knowing about the unlimited? It say's right on there iphone faq they will announce data pricing at a later date.

8. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

There are more than enough people who have called customer support asking and they have slipped saying they will off the unlimited $30 plan.

It would be unwise for them to offer anything less. Like I said, they don't look at iPhone users any differently than Android users. Nor should they.

9. landscapeman macrumors regular

10. landscapeman macrumors regular

11. Slip Jigs thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's a good point, data is data no matter which phone you have. But from what I've heard, and I think what the general perception is - the iPhone accounts for more data usage because there are just so many more iPhones in use than all Android devices combined.

12. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

Because a massive number of people seem to think it's the holy Grail, Verizon will sell huge numbers of iPhones no matter what price or terms of service is.

It's an iPhone & that's all they care. The majority don't read or care about terms of service till it's too late and they've already signed on.

Some things never change :)

It's a smartphone sold by one of the worlds largest carriers .... Users are really going to pay. Just wait.

13. Slip Jigs thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's basically was I was originally getting at. The perception of AT&T can't be denied, just look at the T Mobile commercial. That perception is not unfounded taking into account the problems that they had to work through when iPhone first launched and the ongoing problems in New York and San Francisco where they're still having issues.

I think it's a safe assumption that there will be an exodus of sorts, especially in those areas. If you can afford to live there, you're not going to balk at a slightly higher phone bill if that's what it comes out to be.

It would still be interesting to look at current stats or polls and make the comparison later. I'm sure there will be some surprises and will end up on the "How wrong were they" segment of the Today in iPhone(iOS) podcast.

14. Wateroksnmud macrumors regular

I personally feel that half the problem is that you cant upload data anywhere unless you're on a wifi in most larger cities, so that's not going to count towards data usage. Over populated networks = finding a wifi connection to browse on your phone. Wether it's verizon or my DX, I do use my data more although it is a bit slower, because I can use it anywhere I go. On my iP4 (in Denver) I HAD HAD HAD to find a wifi. Dead spots and over populated network. I think a great study would be one that shows that average data use by cities on ATT vs Verizon.