Any cool Mac customizations?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tymaster50, Dec 4, 2013.

1. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Like something to set it apart from others. Like idk a different unlock screen or something, a colored dock, eh.

2. Crzyrio, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

Crzyrio macrumors 65816

3. scbond macrumors 6502

An application called DockColor used to allow you to change the colour of the dock to anything in the system palette. Sadly, I don't think it works anymore. It last worked in Lion so if you still have that then you could still use it.

4. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

A few nice ones are DockMod, Flavours and Obsidian Menu Bar. Here's my desktop currently using these tweaks. I'm also trying out Bartender, and while it's cool, it's not something you really notice. And, of course, there is GeekTool, but I'm not using it currently.

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 9.06.56 PM.png

5. kamuix macrumors regular

Not much done. Obsidian menu bar, dockmod, geektool for the stuff on the right (time, date, disk space, etc), and invisible to hide desktop items.

[​IMG]

6. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

I like your background, can I download it somewhere? :) thx

7. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

how do I use GeekTool to get the weather ? I have obsidian, Deeper, the mouse thing, and something else that enables you to tinker with hidden settings.

8. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

ok I have geektool with the time, anything to change the color of the dock? Lets keep it free people lol

9. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Right now I think the only think available for Mavericks is DockMod. You can change the dock to any color or pattern you want, but unless you pay for the program you have to re-enable it every hour which, obviously, is a pain. Free mode in DockMod only gives you the black dock.

10. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

11. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

12. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Did you remember to check the boxes for the options you wanted? It changes a bunch of framework things as well as the fonts. Myriad Pro looks REALLY nice on MBPr 15 screen.

13. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

yes. My mac is on heletica nue and that is about the only thing besides not being able to see the date on my menu bar lol

Wish it could change the actual UI instead of the menu bar :( damn you apple

14. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

This thread so far has mostly been about visual mods, but there is a lot to be said about functional / utility customization as well.

BetterTouchTool lets you set up custom keyboard shortcuts and trackpad gestures for a vast range of actions including window snapping.

TinkerTool lets you adjust extra system settings.

I made myself a custom keyboard layout using Ukelele 2 (it's a lot of work to make one though)

There is a file you can edit to change what the press-and-hold options are (the defaults are accented letters, but you can add your own including words/email addresses/etc.)

KeyRemap4MacBook lets you fine-tune your keyboard, for example by making the Shift keys act normally when held down, but when just tapped briefly the left shift keys types '(' and the right shift key types ')'.

PCKeyboardHack has even lower-level functionality that is generally not needed except when you need the previous program to distinguish between two keys that would normally send the same signal. Notably, if you remap Esc to become Caps Lock, and remap Caps Lock to become Esc when tapped and Left Control when held, if you then want to remap the actual physical Left Control key to, for example, Command-Option-Control (so you can easily make your own custom shortcuts), this program can do so.

15. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Hm. Did you also set the bar to translucent and add the WhiteMenu file to your login items? You should, at the very least, get recolored close/min/max buttons and some alterations to the rest.

BTW if you want more, there's always Flavours: http://flavours.interacto.net

Full themes, there.

16. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

i saw it, don't want to pay for it lol

17. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

LOL well that's kinda the thing with Macs, ain't it? Windows tends to have a billion freeware alternatives for everything. Mac? Pay out the nose.

I'm still BAFFLED that Tweetbot is $20. It's the ONLY Twitter app on ANY platform that costs that much.

18. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

thats what I loved about windows, if I wanted to change my theme and mouse, I could just google it and find what i was looking for in 10 seconds. Its like nobody cares on mac, not even apple lol. You have to pay for just about everything on os x.

19. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

It's a huge reason I'm Android and not iOS. Nearly EVERY app you could want on iOS is either free or half price on Android. Plus there are scads of alternatives and generally free versions OF them (ad-supported generally).

20. kamuix macrumors regular

Sorry for the delay, here ya go:
    [​IMG]

21. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

you paid for dockmod?

22. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

He may have, but as I mentioned the free mode of DockMod includes the black dock.

23. Lord Flashheart macrumors regular

Lord Flashheart

Is that wallpaper Retina? If so, could you post it :)