Any difference between buying a sealed-box brand new MBP from Mac Shop or eBay?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macmania82, Jul 14, 2009.

1. macmania82 macrumors regular

Hi friends,

i found a good deal for a brand new mbp 17 from a website like ebay. few hundred dollar cheaper than official mac shop price.

it is sailed box, seller emailed me photo of box with serial number on. I checked serial number at official apple support website and it looks fine (warranty until 10 July 2010).

Should I worry about apple service if sth happens to my mbp? will apple ask me question like where I bought it from (which mac shop)? is it better to go mac shop to buy or actually there is no difference unless product is in sailed box, brand new?

I feel okay actually, but I still have a kind of worrying :/ I will order today according to your comments. Please, I appreciate.

2. EmielS macrumors member

I think it's always strange to get it from ebay but a few hunderd dollars cheaper.. i prefer the mac store.. just to be sure..

if you have to money maybe you should get it from the store.. just to be sure

3. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for post @EmielS.

sorry, my mistake, I gave missing info.

There is no mac store in my country. I maybe can find a trust-able friend in UK, and he can go to mac store for me. I know it is pretty silly way, also paying for delivery. but if there is really big risk with buying from anywhere apart mac store...

for this product from ebay like portal, I will make payment at door after I check the product. if everything is ok, I will make payment. so it sounds fine to me actually, i dont know for sure.

also it is brand new box. it will be "me" who opens it first time. and as I know, i will make warranty registration online for my name at first boot-up. so it looks fine as well.

what do you say? :confused:

4. EmielS macrumors member

well that changes the story.. If you first can check it out and then you pay, then it sounds ok! When your friend from the UK can get it for you from a mac store it will be more expensive right?

5. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

yes it will be more expensive. also i will pay money for delivery. also friend can buy it only for his name from mac store as i know, so i also will try to change registry name for mine with many apple support calls.

I actually just worry about, if my mbp will have problem in few months, mac support will make trouble to me because of i actually didnt buy it from mac store. is it silly worrying?

6. EmielS macrumors member

Yeah you should make sure that it can be registerd on your name so you won't have problems when you need support, or deal it trough your friend but that not so easy also!

it's difficult but you should find out if you can put the one you can buy on ebay on your name.

7. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

i will open the box first time, and boot up. so as i know there is an online registration process at first boot up, which is related with for what name is warranty going to be?

8. EmielS macrumors member

Ye i think that will be fine, but get all the paper work with it.

9. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

paper works? :confused: you mean print outs of first boot up registration. or what kind of documents should I ask for to the seller about my warranty service or anything else?

10. EmielS macrumors member

No, i just mean like a offical receipt that you bought it.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If the box is sealed and unopened you'll be fine. Warranty follows the computer not the buyer. Apple won't ask how did you get your computer and if they do, just say you bought it. It's not illegal to sell it. It haven't been registered if it's unopened but warranty starts on day you walk out of the store or on the day of delivery. I think paper works means those install disks etc.

12. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

The reason why it is that cheap is because the seller has bought it with student discount (or another discount) and then selling it on and making a little for himself. The easiest way to look at it is apple will cover any faulty parts, no questions asked. So if it is sealed and you have a problem with it then provided you didn't cause that problem you will not have any issues with apple, they don't care where you got it from.

13. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

14. EmielS macrumors member

haha yeah me too but i think for this guy ebay is the answer.

15. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

hahah sorry Mac Store :D:D but I'm too excited man, dont know what words I'm using sometimes :D :D

ps. thanks all you friends, all you gave me SOO BIG RELIEF!! :) it is a sealed box, and I will register it online for my name with the serial number :) and all my silly worryings will be over! :D

there is only one worrying left; how will I survive until I take my precious mbp to my hands?!?!!!??!! :D :D too many looong days until Friday!! any idea?

16. EmielS macrumors member

hahah i know how you feel! just keep watching apple.com and vids of your MBP and maybe you will dream about it tonight!

17. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

I can 100% assure you that I have already watched all mbp videos on youtube including unboxing videos and all photos at flickr :D :D I know I'm not normal!! maybe I got mac-sickness!! nooooo! :D

18. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

Friday? Thats no time at all! It took nearly three weeks for my iMac to get here and then when it arrived it had a defective screen so had to be sent back! That was painful! :)

19. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

you can not be serious @Rhalliwell1 ! :eek:

I will wait that long and also it will be defective!! :mad: for sure I would smash that iMac to wall and would be biggest ever trouble to apple ! :p :D

ps.: I feel so sorry for your bad experience : (

20. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

It was worth it :)

21. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

No doubt it was! :) I'm just too impatient :D

22. pesawyer macrumors member

Sealed box doesn't mean anything if it's a counterfeit product. I personally wouldn't purchase a Mac on eBay, pay the extra and ensure you are getting a Genuine Apple product from an authorized distribution channel.

23. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

but it looks very fine when I check the Serial Number on the box at Apple Official Support online page.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

24. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

I bought my new 13" MBP on eBay for $950 shipped after a 10% eBay coupon I had and 8% Bing.com cashback. It shipped directly from Apple.

25. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You are saying Microsoft paid you money to buy an Apple product :p