Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superk

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
When you select the mid level mini, a 2.6 i7 QC, the 256GB SSD and then do the same for the server edition there is a huge price difference between the two when all thats different is one has the server software and the other doesn't.

My understanding is the hardware is the same? Just to have the server software you pay a £100+ premium? Am i missing something?

Thanks for any input!

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Nope, you miss nothing. Their price policy simply isn't that good for the server model this year.

ZaYoOoD

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
Nope..
The only difference you'll get is the extra Hard Drive (or SSD) slot..
In addition of course to the Mac OS X server edition pre-installed (can be installed on either one later)

hope i could help..

superk

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Nope..
The only difference you'll get is the extra Hard Drive (or SSD) slot..
In addition of course to the Mac OS X server edition pre-installed (can be installed on either one later)

hope i could help..

Ah, isnt there an additonal slot in the non-server models anyway?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
When you select the mid level mini, a 2.6 i7 QC, the 256GB SSD and then do the same for the server edition there is a huge price difference between the two when all thats different is one has the server software and the other doesn't.

My understanding is the hardware is the same? Just to have the server software you pay a £100+ premium? Am i missing something?

Thanks for any input!

server is a bad deal

the27thvoice

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
Norway
Ah, isnt there an additonal slot in the non-server models anyway?

Uncertain, but if they haven't actively sabotaged it from last year, you have the space, but not the cable to connect it with.
Whether this is the case still, we won't know. Haven't seen teardowns specifically mention it yet.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
The server model has the extra software and the extra HDD (dual drive).
The rest of it is the same as the mid model.

The mid model is more cost effective.
I chose the server model only because by the time I buy a second drive, the software, and then have to import the second drive cable over to me (which isnt cheap!) I'd end up paying around the same anyway!

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
Go back a couple of years and Snow Leopard Server was a whole OS cost $499, but then Lion Server was just a $49 addon to regular Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.