Any doctors in da house?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Apr 28, 2008.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Hey, I'm wondering how long it normally takes for a swollen lymph node to go away?

I got a weird flu a couple weeks ago, and my lymph node in the right of my neck got swollen and tender. The flu went away on Friday, but the lymph node's still swollen and tender. It hurts a bit when I yawn, and it's getting annoying.

It's been swollen for almost three weeks now. What do you think?

2. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Go see a doctor. Any reputable doctor on this board wouldn't do anything for you with out knowing your history or even seeing you. Didn't mean to sound harsh but this is something I wouldn't do.

You could try to look it up on webmd. http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/swollen-lymph-nodes-topic-overview

What causes swollen lymph nodes?
    Lymph nodes often swell in one location when a problem such as an injury, infection, or tumor develops in or near the lymph node. Which lymph nodes are swollen can help identify the problem.

The glands on either side of the neck, under the jaw, or behind the ears commonly swell when you have a cold or sore throat. Glands can also swell following an injury, such as a cut or bite, near the gland or when a tumor or infection occurs in the mouth, head, or neck.
    Glands in the armpit (axillary lymph nodes) may swell from an injury or infection to the arm or hand. A rare cause of axillary swelling may be breast cancer or lymphoma.
    The lymph nodes in the groin (femoral or inguinal lymph nodes) may swell from an injury or infection in the foot, leg, groin, or genitals. In rare cases, testicular cancer, lymphoma, or melanoma may cause a lump in this area.
    Glands above the collarbone (supraclavicular lymph nodes) may swell from an infection or tumor in the areas of the lungs, breasts, neck, or abdomen.
    Common sites for swollen lymph nodes include the neck, groin, and underarms.
    continued...
    Treatment for swollen glands focuses on treating the underlying cause. For example, a bacterial infection may be treated with antibiotics, while a viral infection often goes away on its own. If cancer is suspected, a biopsy may be done to confirm the diagnosis.

Any swollen lymph nodes that don't go away or return to normal size over about a month should be checked by your health professional.

How long will lymph nodes remain swollen?
    Lymph nodes may remain swollen or firm long after an initial infection is gone. This is especially true in children, whose glands may decrease in size while remaining firm and visible for many weeks.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

^^^

+1 for what savanahrose said

(nice post)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

5. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I've had something like that before. Not sure if it was there before, but after one time getting really sick. I had this thing form in my throat. It was on the right side, felt really sore. It was there for a while.

6. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

If you're nodes are swollen then your body is fighting an infection.

If you are over your sickness it is normal for your lymph nodes to still be swollen. I had a similar sounding virus a few weeks back and my swollen glands just went completely at least a week after I was sick.

If your sickness is over there is no point for seeking treatment unless the condition gets worse.

You'll survive.

7. Surely Guest

Surely

Wow, how incredibly irresponsible of you. Imagine someone actually took your advice, and it turned out to be something serious.

OP, if you are concerned about your health, go see a doctor in person.

This thread should really be Wastelanded- it's potentially dangerous. Mods?

P.S. You're ≠ Your

8. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Well I should have asked the question Did you go to the doctor for the initial illness.

Glands stay swollen even after you are "better". It takes time for them to go down.

9. Surely Guest

Surely

Oh yeah, totally. That's what happens in every case. It's a hard-fast rule.:rolleyes:

And just for good measure: :rolleyes:

10. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

11. Surely Guest

Surely

So how'd that turn out anyway?

12. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Same - Its not lupus

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I agree. Best go to the IRL doctor. He'll know best.

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

*cough* old thread *cough*

I do hope it's cleared up by now though.

15. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

whoa, I just noticed...... But it looks like I brought the thread back up now, some one must have deleted their post or some thing, as this was on the first page :eek:

16. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

That cough you have there sounds a lot like Ebola. You better get checked.

17. Surely Guest

Surely

There was a spam post deleted by a mod that was right before yours.