Any entomologists here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by keysofanxiety, Mar 14, 2014.

1. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Got a desktop collected(PSU failed). In a most disgusting twist, it turned out the PSU had failed, but because it was crawling with bugs who had made their home there. One of which, we managed to photograph before screaming like little girls and throwing the computer in a cupboard as far from ourselves as possible.

There were at least 10-15 living in the computer (still alive and were scampering when we opened it). My skin's still crawling.

I was curious if anybody knew what bugs these are. I've attached the image.

dat bug.png

2. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

People call be buggy sometimes, but I'm not an entomologist :D
    However, I can identify a common cockroach, without even guessing.

Here's a few pictures, a couple resemble yours exactly (probably a brother, or cousin, or something)
    https://www.combatbugs.com/american-cockroach

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's a cockroach and you more then likely just infested your home/office with them if they scampered off as you posted :(

I'd call an exterminator ASAP to get ahead of the problem before it becomes too late.

6. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

No, I'm not an entomologist. Yep, that's a roach. Side note: the term "bug" for a software glitch comes from the first diagnosis of a computer malfunction. This is back in the day, when computers took up whole rooms. Turned out the problem was literally a bug in the hardware. I think it was a woman who found it. Heard about this on a podcast. Wish I could remember which one. Maybe Tech Stuff.

7. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

That would be Grace Hopper.

More info at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper

She found a real bug in a computer. And so did you! Ouch.

8. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

That's uncanny! Her name sounds like grass hopper and she found the first computer bug! That made my day. Thanks.

9. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

You are referring to Grace Hopper, an pioneering computer scientist who rose to the rank of rear admiral in the US Navy. On September 9, 1947, she was working on the Harvard University Mark II and discovered a problem with the program was actually a moth trapped between the points of Relay #70, in Panel F. When it was fixed, word got out that the program was "debugged". You can see a photo of said moth here:

[​IMG]

"Amazing Grace" had both a Cray supercomputer and a U.S. Navy destroyer named after her.

10. keysofanxiety thread starter macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

**** guys, what do I do? This computer was assessed a few days ago and locked up ever since. Do we have to get the place gassed or something? I'm in the UK, any advice will be extremely welcome.

My skin is crawling, people. :(

----------

Spoke to the HR guy and he said 'well we nailed all of them' -- there were a few around that were killed and we haven't seen them since -- but I dunno. Sorry if I'm making very little sense, I'm utterly horrified. We're keeping it locked down.

To those posting about 'buggy computers' -- you'd get on with my work colleagues, they all see the funny side of it. :D

11. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

Hmm... I would keep the PC off the ground if I were you.

12. chown33 macrumors 604

And it's a female roach, and it's carrying an egg case (note tip of abdomen closely).

The most salient fact is simply this: you have roaches.
    The most effective response is equally simple: contact an exterminator.

13. keysofanxiety thread starter macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

****ing eggs?! ###

We will have to wait until Monday with this ... Will update the thread then if anybody will be lurking. :)

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Don't wait until Monday. A weekend is enough to make hundreds of babies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. keysofanxiety thread starter macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I know dude, I know. But ultimately I work in a huge office and my opinion means nothing. :(

Well, at least I get the 'I told you so' bragging rights if it goes tits-up, and a week off work if we get raped by cockroaches. Every cloud ... :(

16. snberk103 macrumors 603

That's just mean. Funny…. but mean…. :eek:

17. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Next time buy an iMac; I doubt they'll get in there. :p

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Are those bugs not common in your area? In my neck of the woods they are extremely common.

19. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

But I thought Macs were bug free? It must be a Windows machine. They are full of bugs!

20. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

A few years ago I seen a bug like that but it was completely black. So I was in bed kinda early so there was enough light to see things sorta. But I opened my eyes and a bug that looked just like the one you seen but completely black ran out from the other pillow ran up it then ran over it to somewhere I now have no idea where I went. But I got up moved the pillow right away and it was gone. I then pulled every thing off the bed and went and washed everything. Never seen it again. It was creepy to thing I could have been on that pillow and that this thing was under it.

21. koa macrumors 6502

These fumigators work really well. Good kill, no residue. You add a bit of water in the included cup, put in the canister and it produces a bunch of smoke then releases the pesticide.

http://www.amazon.com/Raid-Fumigato...&qid=1395006992&sr=1-5&keywords=RAID+bug+bomb

Any roach trap with Fipronil as the active ingredient will kill the roaches quickly.

http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Source...=1395019732&sr=1-1&keywords=Combat+roach+trap

These are the two products we use living in a rain forest in Hawaii. Many roaches, spiders and centipedes when we don't use them. Also, my wife is an entomologist.

22. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

That computer along with the flooring wouldn't be with us today if I saw that when I opened it. I'm usually not too bad around bugs, but something about roaches would make me throw that thing straight off the desk. :D

23. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

Make sure walter white doesn't make meth in your home.

24. keysofanxiety thread starter macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Right guys, we're gonna open it up again later today and check to see if there are any more roaches living inside the power supply. They'll be having a date with Henry the Hoover.

Should have some pictures for you later. :D

25. keysofanxiety thread starter macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Well, they were living in the power supply for sure. Opened it up and one crawled out then went back in. Too quick to photograph, so I've got a nice dead one on the side that I photographed.

Needless to say, the PSU was binned and I think we'll bin the whole thing as it's covered in either cockroach eggs or cockroach crap -- either of which is equally disgusting.

Panic over, hopefully. :)

image.jpg