Any evidence "new" iphone enabled for Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by openkimono, Apr 20, 2010.

1. openkimono macrumors newbie

I didn't see this in the gizmodo article or anywhere else, but did they see a CDMA antennae in there anywhere?

If it's the real deal, with the features of 4.0 already released, there won't be much for Steve to announce...

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It had a SIM card slot. It's not a CDMA phone.

3. openkimono thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh right, thanks...

4. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

No, its not a CDMA phone. And with them moving to micro-sims, it is even more evidence that they want nothing to do with CDMA.

There will be some software features that are iPhone 4th Gen exclusive that weren't announced yet, I'm sure. Not anything ground breaking, but we've already seen some hints of it. The facebook contact types, the front facing camera, etc. The reveal of iChat (if thats what they call it) will be a big part of the presentation.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    There are plenty of Verizon phones with a SIM card slot.

So, while it's doubtful that it also supports CDMA, the presence of a SIM slot (of any size) is not proof that it doesn't.

I wonder if Gizmodo took down any chip numbers. They seem to have done no real technical investigation at all.

6. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

Not true. There have been several rumor sites that have stated that there are two different iPhones that are out for production. The ATT micro-sim card version is produced by the original manufacturer. The alleged CDMA version is going to be build by a different manufacturer that is supposedly builds other CDMA phones. And all of the rumors have that phone available in the Sept time frame. The guy who lost this particular phone was obviously testing out the ATT version. I'm sure there are a few that are out in the wild testing the CDMA version, they just haven't left theirs at a bar yet to be found.

7. Branskins macrumors 65816

I highly doubt the phone is coming to Verizon this year. ATT has been trying very hard to keep Apple, aka look at the iPad deal. I also can't see Apple going to Verizon with their brand new multitasking features, when Verizon is not able to handle voice and data at the same time. Just kind of seems like a step back at this point.

For some reason, I have a feeling that it will come to Verizon in 2012, but I highly doubt one will be coming this year.

8. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

LOL you are definitely devil's advocate for Verizon...no CDMA iPhone this fiscal year...I'd bet my first born on that...and if I lose you better come to collect

9. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

No Sir...if Steve is reluctant to sell CDMA iPhones to China Mobile's Billion or so customers why do you think he'll make one to accomodate the million or so he'd sell in the US on Verizon's network? every verizon customer does NOT want an iphone, most love those droid thingys (as my daughter says)...and officially AT&T still is partnered up with Apple exclusively until the END of this year...Apple and Verizon have a ways to go, the proof is the lack of a CDMA Verizon iPad...when that occurs then we can warm up the Verizon iPhone rumors

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Get ready for another dissapointment verizon boys :D

11. iTouch macrumors 6502

If you want to know then looking at the power amplifiers would help in assessing this but it's a quad band GSM phone with CDMA components for 3G like the previous iPhone. Digitimes confirmed the supplier for this that's why I'm positive about the components.

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

How does this in any way have any bearing on the existence of a Verizon iPhone? Just because one model has SIM or a Micro-SIM means nothing about the other model that we have yet to see.

I'm not saying it will be a Verizon phone, but your argument holds no water.

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

And how exactly did you determine this? Nobody knows the exact terms. Some have even speculated that iPad deal extended the iPhone exclusivity. But nobody knows that it will end at the END of this year.

14. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

If AT&T keeps the iPhone, and not even GSM-friendly T-Mobile gets to have it, this will likely be the longest exclusive of any phone on a carrier in history. Over 3 years of exclusivity is extremely damaging to the consumer.

Take France as an example, thanks to competition with the major 3 carriers, the 3GS dropped in price after just 2 months of being out by nearly 50 euros across the board, and so did plans--adding unlimited texts, or friendlier calling plans (they work very different in Europe). All thanks to the Orange monopoly being crushed.

If you just LOVE AT&T and want to stay with them, then that's GREAT for you. But having the iPhone available elsewhere means that you AT&T bill will likely go down thanks to the competition. So even if you are a rabid Verizon hater (um, okay?) the fact Verizon would be competing with AT&T for the same customers over the same phone means that your bill could go down even if you do nothing but keep handing AT&T your money every month. You win too.

Competition and consumer choice should always be the goal. And for those hoping AT&T gets to keep an exclusive phone for over 3 years--it's nonsensical, illogical, and unless you like overpaying, bad for you.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

AMEN MY BRUTHA!!!

16. calvy macrumors 65816

While you may be right, what you missed is that we aren't necessarily hoping it'll stay with AT&T exclusively, we just see the writing on the wall.

17. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

I'm speculating based on the fact that it was a two year deal in '07 and here we are in 2010 with still no Verizon announcement...and based on the fact that Verizon still has no 3G iPad, I'd say that Verizon is still in timeout till next year at least

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

As it stands now, there is no evidence for a iPhone coming to Verizon.

19. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

While I would agree, having two types of iPhone 4G's out in the wild does pose an interesting question.

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yes, but what made you decide END of year. Seems pretty arbitrary. Contracts don't just get written to end when it's time to buy a new calendar. The original contract was reported on in May 2007. That might imply, but doesn't guarantee, a May end date.

However, a lot of people agree that AT&T may have renewed with Apple for another year via the iPad agreement.

Apparently there was enough anectdotal evidence for the NYT to speculate that a Verizon iPhone is coming.

Of course we've heard so much false speculation over the last 3 years that I won't believe it until I hear it coming from Steve's mouth.

Basically, all of these people that are SO SURE they are right on both sides of this argument are idiots. Unless they are somehow involved in these companies in a way that would give them true knowledge of the situation, they don't know squat.

The truth is, competition is good for the consumer. Even if you love AT&T, you should be rooting for Verizon to get the iPhone. We'll all see prices and rates go down. We'll all benefit.

21. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

no verizon iPhone here's why:

1. Verizon's network is inferior and incompatible (voice and data is a big deal)

2. If Apple ends it's deal with AT&T, Google will step in and partner with AT&T, The Major GSM provider in the US

3. Verizon continues to attack iPhone in ads (not a good way to get Steve's attention)

and just because Verizon gets the iPhone that does not mean prices and rates will drop, if anything they'll stay constant...and Apple would be dictating the prices not the carriers...if any other carrier in the US gets iPhone it'll be T-Mobile

22. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

Verizon has spent a lot of money putting the iPhone down compared to the Droid...I don't see them getting it anytime soon.

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

1. That's apparently your opinion. Having a background in wireless my opinion is that you are wrong. Besides, I can count the number of times on one hand I've used voice and data at the same time. VOIP will override all of that anyway. It is pretty commonly accepted that AT&T has the better network. You seem to be one of the few that don't get that.

2. SO? Not sure how Apple would even care about that. It would be completely offset by the additional sales made on Verizon. This would not affect Apple sales any differently than Google existing on T-Mobile and Verizon today.

3. Business is business. If anything, it's a way to shut Verizon up.

Your final point....the European market has already proved otherwise. Someone on MR has already shown that costs went down in countries where competing providers sell the iPhone.

Say no all you want. You'll eventually be proven wrong.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced