Any feedback on this deal? SCAM or real deal???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joe22790, Jan 1, 2009.

1. joe22790 macrumors newbie

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

They don't even have their own domain. Sounds sketchy to me...

3. joe22790 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, if you google their address Hydraficient, LLC Tualatin, OR 97062 they come up as selling a hydro automotive product. Its such a good deal though:) I might call my credit card company and make sure they will cover it if it is a scam.

Hopefully someone else will have some info.....

4. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I work not far from Tualatin Oregon. I think that area is covered by Google StreetView. Maybe check out their storefront?

5. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

IF the price, the host, and then
    doesn't scream a lazy scam, then I don't know what does.

6. Tosser macrumors 68030

LOL, I was just about to post that sentence – I had it quoted and all. THis is especially funny, since I failed to find any phone number on that site no matter which page I opened, and they post something like that?

7. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

8. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I also find it very suspicious that a company with an online shopping facility only has 3 products to sell.

9. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

hosted on.......Homestead.
    and the quote above that I noticed too about the over busy phone lines when no phone number is associated with it. lol

I'm sorry i wouldnt even waste the time to do that, you could probably find a comparable deal on Amazon, ebay or apple refurbs.

like the old sayings go if its too good to be true, etc etc

10. weekend warrior macrumors member

try chatting with them via that "livechat" service

i actually talked to someone for a few minutes who didn't take kindly to me calling their site a scam.

11. joe22790 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I just did a street view on Google and it is a house. It also says they don't have live chat available. I might try back tomorrow.

I bought a new HP with Vista trying to save a few bucks and hate it. IE crashes all the time. Even Firefox crashes occasionally.

12. AndrewD1022 macrumors newbie

If this turns out not to be a scam, I'm in for one.

13. hhlee macrumors 6502

1k+ is a lot of money to gamble on an iffy company. why not look at refurbs on apple.com? or deals off amazon or macmall. i'd rather pay a little bit extra (10%) for the peace of mind that i won't lose $1k

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

Any company that does not provide a phone number has to be flat out SCAM. Don't waste your money; you're never likely to see anything. Also the company name doesn't even show up in resellerratings.com.

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would stay away from this "deal" - it looks like a scam to me. :eek:

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Definitely a scam, stay well away from it. Go instead for an Apple refurb which is a legit product at a reasonable price and offers full warranty and support should anything go wrong.

Cheers and good luck

17. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Im f***ing around with the Chat and messing with them, they didnt seem they could help me and looked angry about my stupid questions and they said they use a home address?

18. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

[Visitor] HI i am very interested in your computer? Where are you all located
    [Visitor] ?
    [Operator] Hello, how may I help you?
    [Operator] Portland, Oregon
    [Visitor] OH Great!
    [Visitor] do you all do pick up?
    [Visitor] like do you have a store?
    [Operator] We don't have a store. We are online retailer only.
    [Operator] Since you are in NC seems like that would be a long drive!
    [Operator] if your in the area, I would be glad to bring you a unit or meet at a location.
    [Visitor] My mother lives in Portland thank you.
    [Operator] great.
    [Visitor] Wow. you all have a great staff. Good luck scamming the country.
    [Operator] I realize you came from the Mac Rumor site which is roasting us currently.
    [Operator] Nice
    [Visitor] hahahahahahah'
    [Operator] what is with the attitude there?
    [Visitor] yep
    [Visitor] we will put you out
    [Visitor] dont worry
    The operator has ended the chat. Thanks for contacting us.

hahahahah LOVE it!

19. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

anyone wondering how they could sell so low. like what was the price it cost them to obtain these laptops brand new.

cause apple has them clearance at $1799, and Macmall, which is a reputable online retailer for apple, has them for like $1599 after a rebate.

how could this company get them so cheap they could make a profit with that pricing.

maybe off the back of a truck. hmmmmm

i can't find a street address for them (took it down after they were busted on it being a house?) or I would be tempted to drop a tip to the local police and see what happens.

20. old-wiz macrumors G3

Most likely it is either stolen merchandise or they do not deliver in the first place. It would be interesting for an investigative team like tv news to try to buy and then if they actually got one, track it with Apple to see if it was stolen or not.

21. joe22790 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lmao.....

Sweet, I love it!!! That was absolutely hilarious that they know we are roasting them here.

Thanks for the guidance guys!!

I guess I will just have to keep looking for a great deal:D

22. SmartIndianKid macrumors regular

SmartIndianKid

Generally, if you have to ask if it's a scam or not, it is.

23. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

EDIT: BTW- the following info would not apply to the suspected scammers since they are not a major buyer of Apple products. I was just addressing the MacMall part of your question.

After working in a purchasing department for a while, it became apparent that the MacMall type discounts are quite common. Simply put with MacMall being one of their large authorized purchasers of machines, Apple offers MacMall a direct promotional rebate (to them) for every one they sell (effectively lowering their wholesale price) in order to move out overstocked or soon to be discontinued items. MacMall still pays the original price they paid for them at wholesale, but can lower the price knowing that they will get a direct rebate for each one actually sold. By doing it that way (intead of just lowering the wholesale price to MacMall) Apple can continue to show the higher wholesale price in their summary sales results and write off the direct to dealer rebates as a promotional expense. Keeps the bean counters happy in the end and Apple's sales totals are higher by the rebate amount on each unit sold.

The same thing happens every day in the automotive world, where there are un-mentioned direct manufacturer rebates that allow the dealer to let you think you are paying "exactly what they paid" by showing you the "factory invoice" (and I won't even get into fake "factory invoices" you may be shown! ;)).

24. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

QFT, ditto, +1, what have ya.

OP, we believe your instinct was trying to tell you something. Methinks it's probably thanking you right about now. :D

Anyway, good luck on finding the right deal!