Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
any good "file sharing" sites similar to kazaa and blubster for macs?

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Sorry to blow the whistle, but you're not supposed to discuss warez, etc. on the boards. It's one of the rules.

PMing is OK as far as I know, though :D

tazo

macrumors 68040
please 5300, there are perfectly legitimate reasons to be using a filesharing program. The obvious idea is that the man will use it illegally, but if we stop people on this website from talking about filesharing, which has perfectly legitimate purposes, than why not stop talking about guns, and knives? Those too could be associated with illegal situations, although both have perfectly legal reasons for being used.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Originally posted by tazo
The obvious idea is that the man will use it illegally
ohh no no no, i want to back up my cassette tape collection as recently there has been some flooding in hawaii and i want a CD backup just in case:D :D :D

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by tazo
please 5300, there are perfectly legitimate reasons to be using a filesharing program. The obvious idea is that the man will use it illegally, but if we stop people on this website from talking about filesharing, which has perfectly legitimate purposes, than why not stop talking about guns, and knives? Those too could be associated with illegal situations, although both have perfectly legal reasons for being used.

Amen to that. It's not like we're discussing how to get access to illegal drugs or how to commit violent crime.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
so far i tried edonkey and limewire. edonkey i have no clue how to use however i love limewire. ill be trying poisonedproject later.

thanks

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Originally posted by LimeLite
Stop using Limewire. It's crap. It's the only app that I know of on the mac platform that uses spyware.

I agree, LimeWire sucks. Aquisition is a good substitute, but having to pay for a P2P app is idiotic in my opinion.

I was under the impression that there was no spyware on the Mac... how did you know about LimeWire?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
While I heard that the Windows version of LimeWire has spyware, I had no idea that the Mac version does.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Nermal
While I heard that the Windows version of LimeWire has spyware, I had no idea that the Mac version does.

Mostly just Ad-Ware...

If you need any Help with Poisoned you can come to me, I've used it for quite a while... Am registered to their forums... one of the top members.

All I used is Poisoned and Bit Torrent.

Tho with Bit Torrent you need Websites... which *would* be illegal to talk here... so use some other method of taking to me.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Originally posted by 5300cs
It sits in the background un-noticed, watching your network traffic (paying attention to what web sites you've been to specifically) then reports that information to a 3rd party.

Here's a Google definition to spyware :)
ack, thanks for pointing that out. just out of curiosity though, whats limewires reason for using spyware? i mean, what does it do for the program?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.