Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xyian

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
PDX
The best way to protect your child is to take away the computer completely, remove them from school, seal them up in a bubble with oxygen and keep them in the house. That way no harm can come to them.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Josh said:
Did the things that you and I have done ruin us as people? No. Like everyone else growing up, we made mistakes. But we were able to make those mistakes and we learned from them.

If you had a trusting relationship with your child (one that would only exist without the use of invasive "big-brother" tactics) perhaps your child wouldn't need hide his/her feelings behind a blog and would be open with you about their feelings?

The second your start monitoring your chilld's every keystroke, every movement via GPS, etc, you're telling them that you absolutely do not trust them.

With that kind of relationship, which is a very poor, ineffective, and harmful one, no wonder the child would resort to blogs - they'd have no one else they could trust.

Spying on your children is not being someone who "listens." If you had established trust as a parent, the child wouldn't have the problem of not having someone who would listen.

By eavesdropping them and shutting them out to a place only blogs exist, then listening in onto the bad things they may be blogging, you are not only learning about the problem, you are causing it.

Typical authoriatian scheme. Create a problem, witness the problem, then propose a solution to the problem in an attempt to gain trust.

Works for dictators and corrupt governments, not so good for parents.

Because too many children were raised in zero-trust environments, and as such grew up into adults that couldn't trust anyone either.

There is a difference between blind privacy and mutual trust. It is a significant difference.

Of course I don't see your point of view - it's absurd, developmentally harmful, and ineffecient for the goal in context.

If you notice, there are several others here who are opposed to your view as well. Please take that for what it's worth.

im not saying i would do that but if there is suspecsion why not monitor activities? i agree the best way to go is to have a trusting relationship but once again if you know something is up that they wont confess to, then yea do some detective work. i swear arguing with you is pointless since you do not have an open mind to anything but you own opinions.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
xyian said:
The best way to protect your child is to take away the computer completely, remove them from school, seal them up in a bubble with oxygen and keep them in the house. That way no harm can come to them.

this is what Josh would advocate.....he is after all the one who said take the car keys if they are running out at night lol. why not take it to this next step by that logic

no hard feelings to you Josh we just have way different philosophies on this

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
schaef2493 said:
The OP asked for an application, try to keep on topic.

You're absolutely wrong. The original poster described a situation, asked for help, and gave some indication what he or she thought would be appropriate help. I would expect anyone to try to _help_, even if or especially if they believe that the OP's idea is wrong.

Now apart from that, using a key logger when I was a teenager would have been a very bad idea. I would have considered it a direct challenge, and there would have been retaliation. But then I wasn't raised in the USA (makes me want to throw up every time someone says "the world's freest country).

pheebs28

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
My mother is switching to mac soon, mostly likely an iMac to use as a family computer for her and my youger sister. She likes what sees so far especially in parental controls. However, she wants to be able to keep tabs on my younger sister to make she isn't going to places or saying things she shouldn't be on the web; she wants a second layer of security (she worries that she can get around things parental controls because she is very computer savvy). I figured a keylogger would be the best thing because we could keep track of everything she types on the mac. Does anyone know any good (free) keyloggers for mac?

I appreciate the help.

I'm not trying to be unhelpful but if she may be able to get around parental controls then she would certainly have the knowhow to locate and send packing pretty much any keylogger you can find. most parental keyloggers are actually quite obvious if you know what to look for or if you are familiar with computer systems and know what should and should not be running.

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
After 2 and a half years of inactivity in this thread, you can probably count on the child in question being mature enough not to need internet supervision...

5DollaFootlong

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2009
regardless of what people's opinions about parenting are, the op asked for a good keylogger, so I would recommend key client. K2 client. I don't know how much it costs, but my school uses it

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Since this got revived, I will toss in my $0.50. Keylogging is wrong. Its a blatant invasion of privacy and is not the way to parent a child. Just because the technology is there doesn't mean it should be used for those purposes. I sure hope none of you would put a GPS in your kids car or anything like that, so why monitor every character they type on the keyboard. Thats awful. Have a trusting relationship, and implement parental controls, but do not log everything they type. There are hardware firewalls that filter sites and keep logs of attempts (smoothwall for example), and even that is a bit too far but its more acceptable than logging keys.

Come on parents, you don't need to stick your kids in a protective dome until they are 18 years old, sheltering them from reality. When they do move out, they will realize all the harm that parenting tactic does. I can't believe the support for this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.