Any Guinness fans here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by crazycat, Oct 21, 2008.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

If so how, when and why?

I am talking about the beer of course, i had a chance to try it and i love it. The first pint is kinda bitter but after that its amazing. Some people say it goes good with food others say you should only have 1-3 pints. I recommend anyone to try it who had not done so, it is different and some people like it while others dont its that simple.

Any thoughts?

p.s. Been smoke free since AUG 06 sorry to change subject but just had to share it.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's a good standby drink to have, at least in the UK, if you don't like lager. Almost all pubs will serve Guinness, whereas a depressing few don't sell real ale, or it's in a poor state.

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Tsk-tsk, 'tis a stout, not a beer!

I enjoy a Guinness now and again.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I find a pint of Guinness to be the perfect chillout at the end of a long day. :) Smooth and mellow taste, soft on the nerves...

5. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

You would like i would know that after watching a whole documentary of how beer is made last night. :)

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

at the end of a short day too

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Love me a guinness, great for chilling and relaxing with mates, I've never found it to be a good one to get smashed with though...

8. tyranna macrumors regular

tyranna

:p lol, i'm actually having a bottle right now. i'm getting ready to pop open a second (and last) of the evening.

it's true that guinness isn't for everyone. i remember talking it up to my mom because she loves beer and i even gave her a couple of cans of it but she didn't like it. she ended up giving me back the second can.

this is kind of off topic, but i also recently tried a cappuccino stout by laguintas and it was very good!

9. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Guinness in a bottle is nasty. Draft is the best next to cans. Guinness is my top 5 favorite beer.

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

anyone know what the little thing inside bottles and cans of Guinness? ive heard it releases nitrogen gas but how does this exactly happen? too many pub stories to believe me thinks.

11. tyranna macrumors regular

tyranna

i'm no beer expert so it tastes just fine to me.

then again, i'm not fond of any canned beer–unless its free.

free is (almost) always good. ;)

edit:

@ richthomas, it's a rocket widget. you can go to the website and read up on it.

12. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

13. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Nothing beats a properly poured pint. But even that, I prefer Guinness as a special treat and not a regular drink.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Sorry, but nothing tastes good canned. I think I'd rather have it out of a glass bottle, although I haven't had Guinness from either for quite a while now. I just get it on tap.

15. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

When I was in college in the mid-'80s, I had this obsession with Ireland. I met this girl and married her shortly after and she told me that they used to feed Guinness to gravely ill patients in Irish hospitals to help them gain weight due to its nutritional superpowers.

Well, I tried Guinness and for some time, it was "the" beer to drink. All light beer was out.

Now I am about 20 pounds overweight these days more than 20 years later, and along with deep fried foods, Guinness is out of bounds. :)

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I had a bad pint tonight, yuck!

I do have a great Irish bar (The Dubliner) I love going to that serves it up right. Just perfect. Slightly cooler then room temp. pour, scoop, settle, pour, and settle. It takes a bit to get your pint, but man it is just the best. The bar tender is this older redhead brute of a woman who calls everyone "sonny" and there is always some drunk wanker in stage with a fiddle or guitar. Love it.

The place maybe a little cliche but it is just perfect.

17. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

LOVE IT just make sure you use a pub that sells allot of it, if its been lying in the pipes for too long it tastes yuck

18. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

A pint of Guinness has less calories than a pint of pure orange juice, and less than a pint of Budweiser :)

I absolutely love Guinness - between it and real ale (which is non-existent in pubs over here which should be a crime), I find it hard to drink lager these days as it tastes so bland and fizzy. On a night out, I quite happily drink Guinness all night.

The Guinness Storehouse tourist attraction at St. James Gate in Dublin is a worthwhile visit - tells you all about how its made, the culture behind it and various other things.

..... scoop?!

19. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

When I would go to an American bar, much of the time the bartender didn't know how to pour the very foamy Guinness, so by pouring it too fast, they would get too much foam, have to scoop it out, pour some more, scoop it out, etc.

But when I went to university in London, the bartenders everywhere poured a little slower, and poured at the precise angle creating less foam and not needing to scoop out the foam. What I saw in the London and Belfast was an art form in Guinness pouring vs. what I usually see in the states. There was this English pub in the states I would go to and the bartender had the technique down, but of course he was from England and worked as a bartender there. Unfortunately that bar is not there anymore and the more common bars who hand out Budweisers in bottles en masse has taken over in that town. When I try and convince my fellow Americans about the art of Guinness, a proper bartender, and savoring it at near room temperature, most laugh at me and just order up a cold Bud and chug it down like Gatorade never once letting the beer touch their taste buds. Those people should just use beer bongs!

I never drink Guinness to get drunk but enjoy it as a meal or dessert. I respect it and never drink it cold like many Americans do.

20. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I love Guinness. Love it. I have been really found of the following mixture,

Guinness and Sam Adams Octoberfest. I really like this combination. Heck I really like Guinness and Sam Adams too!

But then again I really like Guinness all by it self! :D

21. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I was wondering about that as well… just assumed it must be another American thing.
    :p

22. Stepper macrumors regular

Guinness Punch FTW

I only every drink it in the summer, then maybe once or twice around christmas time (my mums side of the family is Irish...so yh you can imagine what its like around xmas time)

23. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Guinness Draft with the doo-hickey in the bottle. I love it. Or, Boddington's. Both are equally smooth and refreshing.

However, I qualify that by saying nothing can touch a good cheap, cold beer on a hot summer day... We're talkin' Miller quality here. :D

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Even though I'm Irish, I don't actually care much for Guinness, rich red wine and continental beer, Belgian and German, (including the British real ales) are more to my taste. However, Irish friends who swear by Guinness suggest that at its best it is really a winter drink, and is best consumed near a crackling peat (turf) fire, curled up in a pub with rain driving down outside, and perhaps nice music (maybe traditional) playing quietly or (noisily) in a corner nearby. They tend to switch to something lighter - such as lager - for the summer.
    Cheers

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I like a lager in the summer months. Guinness isn't a good beer for sitting out in the heat. It's heavier, and it makes you feel that way.

Boddingtons is a bit flat for my tastes. I don't mind a beer with little fizz, but sometimes it's just too flat.