Any i5/i7 27" iMac users playing Rift?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by robo456, Apr 11, 2011.

1. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

Hi guys... Just wondering if any MR users have a new i5 or i7 27" iMac that they are playing the MMO Rift on? I saw a couple youtube videos, but nothing that really gave any in-depth comments.

I wasn't really looking for FPS numbers, because mine aren't great on my i7 pc (5870 video card), I think they hover around 40 or so on ultra, but the game looks fantastic!... what I was more looking for is what resolution are you running at, what levels of details, and how you feel it looks. Is it smooth?

Thanks for any info! If there's a thread that I missed, feel free to point it out.

--rob

2. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

I'll be interesting in hearing how this runs , I'm currently boot camping rift on my early 2008 MBP , and whilst ultra is unplayable , high runs very happily at 30+ fps @1440x900 .. I'm amazed the iMac video card can't handle ultra .. But then I guess we are waiting for a refresh on the iMacs

3. WickedSick macrumors member

I got a chance to play it on my i7 27' imac, and it ran really smooth. That was with the nearly everything at native res, and max textures. The only things I toned down were shadows and some AA. It was purty =D All in all though, I like the free to play MMO World of tanks better =P

4. NeighborMike macrumors newbie

so you can just buy this game pop it in and install it and it will work ok?

sorry to sound so newbish literally just got a mac

5. robo456 thread starter macrumors 6502

robo456

Thanks for the info!

It's a Windows-only game, so I'd assume you'd have to install it thru BootCamp. I have played it thru VMWare Fusion, and while it does play, it's not too practical.

--rob

6. WickedSick macrumors member

When I was playing it I was in bootcamp running Windows 7 Ultimate 64x. Hope this helps =D

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I've heard nothing about a native Mac version of Rift. If accurate, you'd have to run Bootcamp on your Mac (included with the OS) and install a compatible version of Windows on your Mac.