Any idea how well it's selling?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ghost31, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Just curious. I know everybody likes to say it's a "$1300 netbook", and it seems like public perception is pretty against it as a product, but it is back ordered so that's gotta mean something right?

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Who all says that it is a $1300 netbook? If everybody likes to say that then the list should be pretty long. I ask because I have not seen anyone refer to it as that. An ultrabook is not the same thing as a netbook.

You are right, being back ordered does mean something but we will never know what or why.

We will never know how well it is selling as Apple does not break out it sales figures by model or even product line.

3. Ghost31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ghost31

A little shocked to see you say this since I've seen it in pretty much every comment section of every website I've been to. YouTube comments, the verge, Engadget. I've heard both "it's an overpriced netbook" and "it's just an iPad with a keyboard". Many many times.

Wish we had sales figures for just this MacBook just to satisfy my own curiosity, but maybe when the next financials call happens and they say there's a spike in Mac sales, we can safely attribute some of that to the new MacBook

4. gooser macrumors 6502

if apple suddenly drops the air then we'll know. then again if apple drops the macbook in a year or two then we'll also know. but i agree, apple will never tell.

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

6. maryunani macrumors member

Yeah. About this.

Don't take YouTube comments seriously. The non-troll percentage of the population is negligible there.

7. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

I would be really interested in sales figures in Europe. Utopia, I know.

8. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

You'd have to be an idiot, a troll or both to consider a Macbook comparable to a typical netbook that had 10" low-res display, Atom processor, 1GB of RAM, 160GB spinning platter HDD, cramped and horrible keyboard and trackpad, cheap and bulky build and Windows.

9. cmjars macrumors 6502

How is your job security at Samsung "Ghost31"? Desperate measures for desperate times :rolleyes:

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

There`s enough demand to generate the current backlog, so the MacBook is either selling well enough, or Apple are only producing them in very small numbers, which I find unlikely.

Q-6

11. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

I'll bet its backordered because apple's testing the waters and not producing a xxxxload in irder to determine consumer interest. It's probably not a big seller t this point because of the cost -- the economy still sux, and most people who need or want a laptop already have one, ad arent about to fork over at least $1300 for a new, 1st gen one. Based on this forum it might seem like the whole world is snaping these up. But this is really a very small group.

12. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

13. Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

I had a couple netbooks, they were terrible, and crippled by Intel and MS's restrictions. The MacBook is significantly better.

14. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Comments from non owners and those who refuse to understand right tool for the job, are irrelevant to me. Sorry you're shocked.

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

A netbook is a pc term for a small laptop running an atom processor. The core m is most certainly not an atom.

And yes I saw the review stating its an iPad with a keyboard. It's click bait simple

16. Dark Void, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015

Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

The rMB, if to be considered anything, is an ultrabook - not a netbook. It's a $1300 ultrabook - and if you've seen the prices of other ultrabooks, it's not that absurd to be honest. Adapter-ception is what starts to make it quite pricey.

Think for yourself instead. Netbooks are extremely underpowered Windows units with usual (exceptions) poor build quality and sluggish, limiting hardware that are targeted at users with minimal everyday tasks as their only usage and iPads use iOS rather than OS X for starters.

17. Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

Just re watched Dieter's review on TheVerge, not once did he use the word netbook.

I watched and read a ton of reviews, rarely saw the word netbook used,

He (Dieter) did use a lot of words like "amazing"

OP is trolling

18. roguefury macrumors member

roguefury

As I said in a previous post that pretty much asked the same question:

I think Tim Cook will survive despite the blistering comments by anonymous people on public boards

19. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I don't think so. Being uninformed isn't trolling.

20. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Didn't you know that when someone has an unfavorable opinion on an Apple product can only be trolling?

21. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I actually just found this out from reading this post. ;)

22. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I don't know about that. If you look at the benchmarks for the Atom used in the Surface 3 and the Core M used in the MacBook, they are nearly the same.

23. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Try them side by side it's night and day. Even the surface vs the yoga it's night and day really. Benchmarks don't tell the full story

24. Esoom, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015

Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

He specifically listed engadget as calling it a netbook, I can't find netbooks mentioned in the written or the video review.

Trolling.

I'm not saying it's the best or anything, and I readily admit it should be a second computer, and it has significant trade offs, just that the OP is misrepresenting the reviews to fit his own perception/agenda, there are a few more harsh ways to phrase the accuracy of what he posted, lets go with the less inflammatory version :)

25. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

iPad with a keyboard isn't really that far off. Having a 15' rMBP, this rMB cannot handle the heavy lifting it does. I honestly have not used my Air 2 since I got the rMB. I take it out the house everywhere I took my iPad. It sits on my nightstand in bedroom and often in bed with me. I bought s very small Targus bag that makes carrying it outside very simple and not laptop like.