Any iPhone 5 button failures yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zorinlynx, Mar 1, 2013.

1. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I remember the iPhone 4 was plagued with button failures, the lock and home buttons would often stop working or become less responsive.

Has anyone had trouble with these buttons on the iPhone 5 yet? Wondering if Apple finally figured out how to make reliable buttons.

2. LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

my perfect launch day 5 had the power button break already. If you search it on here, you'll see a LOT of reports of the same thing/symptoms (works if you push it on the leftmost side of the button but not on the right side). It's a flaw and it's not an isolated incident.

3. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

So far all are fine. The volume buttons have gotten looser but are working.

4. TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

Plagued?

Between all my family, friends, coworkers, social media contacts, etc. - the overwhelming majority of whom use an iPhone, iPod Touch, or an iPad - I have never heard one complaint about the home button or the volume buttons on iOS devices. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but you think I would have heard about a plague! :eek:

5. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Often the home button becomes mushy over time, slowly enough that the user doesn't notice it. I've picked up friends' older iPhones and asked them why the mushy home button didn't annoy them and they usually reply 'what mushy button?'

I haven't noticed this phenomenon on iPod touches and iPads though, their smaller buttons don't seem to be susceptible to this issue.

6. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I've had 2 home button problems. It happens and Apple quickly fixed it.

7. iRepairParts macrumors regular

iRepairParts

Very true. Home buttons are actually replaced quite a bit. Many people who order the LCD Digitizer assemblies will also order a new home button flex cable if its sluggish or damaged because you're already inside of the phone. Sticky/ unresponsive buttons are super annoying, so I switch mine out at the first sign of a problem because I know it won't get any better once it starts!

8. ceevee macrumors newbie

Exact same problem with my iPhone 5. I tolerate it because I want to keep my Google Exchange ActiveSync working. Once Apple swaps it, can't use Google EAS.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

My launch-day 5 has an intermittently sticky home button that's been on and off for a month now. It'll start annoying me enough to consider making an appointment, but then it goes away.

At some point I'll bring it in.

10. craftytony macrumors regular

craftytony

Never had this problem with any of my idevices.

My iphone5 still working flawlessly since the day I got it! (on launch)

11. abz1981 macrumors 65816

The only problem I had with my iphone 5 is a moving battery within the iphone. I have had mines replaced due to that. Other than that all good.

12. bimmerboii macrumors member

My power button has become less responsive.. Sometimes will need multiple presses in order to put the phone to sleep. Ill have it replaced in an apple store soon.

I dont use a case and have dropped my phone a couple of times.

13. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

theres at least two threads on here regarding faulty lock buttons. they start going bad over time and require more clicks to get it to actually work. this happened to many others here, including myself. its covered under warranty and apple will replace the phone.

14. snowydog macrumors 6502

Why's that?

I have the same problem and was going to go to the apple store and get it exchanged but I use google apps - what's this stuff with google EAS?

15. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The home button has been redesigned on the iPhone 5. It's now a replaceable part.

16. HiRisk macrumors 6502

The top sleep/awake/power button became less responsive after just two months of me owning the phone. I went in to the Apple Store and had it replaced at no charge.

17. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

My Power Button has become less responsive over time as well.
    However, the wife still manages. ;)

18. ericDylan macrumors regular

I am having problems with the volume down button. It has completely stopped working. No matter how hard I press, it doesnt respond.

When I first started to notice the problem, it would work if I pressed hard enough, but now it doesn't work at all.

If I take it into the apple store, can they just replace the button or the whole phone? I am jailbroken, so if I don't have to unjailbreak and lose everything, I would prefer that.

edit: Just an FYI, this phone is less than a month old. (I bought a new one when I broke the screen on my first iP5 and decided to just get a new one instead of going through the hassle of getting the screen replaced, so i just use the old one as a media device in my rec room.)

19. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

they will replace the whole phone.

20. duaneu macrumors 6502a

Just replaced an iPhone 5 with a non responsive sleep button this past Saturday. Only had that one since Christmas. We've had our other IP5 since launch day and still no problems with that one.

I also had to replace my iPhone 4 when it was about a year old for a failing home button.

21. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

At full price? I imagine it'd have been a lot cheaper to get an out of warranty replacement for $199.

22. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I have a Genius Bar appointment today for my lock button that only works on the left side.
    Can anyone weigh in on their experiences if they've been for the same issue? Was it just look at it and swap for refurb or do they try and repair it?

Thanks.

23. maxosx macrumors 68020

I've been very lucky. My iPhone 5 is still operating properly. My iP4 & 4S each failed twice. Apple replaced them till they went out of warranty.

My wife, not so lucky, here first iPhone 5 only lasted four months before the button failed. She keeps it very clean & in a case. But it was under warranty so the hassle of replacing it was limited to driving to the Apple store.

Maybe this one will last.

24. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

you walk in. show them the issue, they will attempt to replicate it. then they turn around in the drawers in the wall and grab a new white box replacement phone and swap it out. they dont fix it, just give you a new phone. in and out in 10 mins.

25. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

Mine is still fine after nearly 5 months. I always press the buttons very softly anyway and the buttons feel as crisp as the day I got the phone.