Any iTunes rental hacks?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by patent10021, Nov 28, 2010.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

iTunes movie rentals are DRM'ed right? Any hacks?

Is this something that will never be hacked?

2. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Did you read the stickies?

3. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

You won't get any help here in cracking programs or hacking DRMs. There are forum rules against theft.

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

gtfo

5. Jetaray macrumors member

This forum and its members always discourage using cracked/hacked programs on Apple devices. Then appear to promote and freely discuss stealing services from a carrier. I am not saying you are stealing, I just find it hilarious when anyone condemns others about stealing in this forum.

6. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

its not theft when you are buying them and cracking them.

anyway google is your friend. if you can view the videos then you can crack them easy. however why hassle with it? dont support drm at all i say but thats just me. sometimes itunes is cheap but most times dvds are cheaper. buy the dvd, rip it to your drive.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The difference is that cracking DRM is obviously wrong while some people think that if you already have a bandwidth cap you should be able to use up to that on any device you want. I'm not for or against either side. I'm just pointing out the difference.

8. wpotere Guest

??? How do you figure that you are buying them? You are renting them, not buying them thus you do not own them. This is theft.... FYI, I don't condone stealing from a carrier either.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's a rental, if someone wants to own it they can buy it, not crack the cheap rental.

10. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

i wasnt talking about rentals themselves, just the itunes videos all together.

it is possible to crack those(rentals) too, same goes for psn rentals but i wasnt condoning the practice no more than i would condone someone ripping discs they rented from netflix. i thought that went without saying.

i took the thread to a different level than everyone else. my fault.

11. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

lol? You're topic clearly states "iTunes RENTAL hacks" :p

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's not every day you find a poster apologizing for not being clear. Kudos.

13. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

yeah indeed it does but a few responses gave me the feeling they equated cracking to theft. its not all theft.

14. wpotere Guest

Care to further explain how cracking something that you don't own is not theft?

15. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

see my previous post

much too kind of you. i admit my error but my post was weak at best. :D

16. labman macrumors 604

labman

I reported the thread so the mods can decide if the thread is ok! I say grey at the least.

17. wpotere Guest

My bad, I misread the thread. :)

18. LinMac macrumors 65816

Technically this is probably not theft. Copyright infringement is a better description.

19. CZK, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  20. wpotere Guest

Nope, it is theft... If you rent something and then keep a copy for yourself, you are stealing a copy and did not pay for it.You paid to rent the movie, not keep it.

Color it how you want, but it is still theft.

21. LinMac macrumors 65816

Theft is generally applied when you deprive someone of their property. Steal a car, steal a house, steal money (even digitally), etc. They are deprived of their property. In this case you are not depriving someone of their property because the "item" (term used loosely) is infinitely reproducible in unlimited quantities.

Use Netflix for an example. Receive a DVD in the mail and falsely report it as lost so you can keep it would be theft. Copying the data onto your computer would be copyright infringement because the original disk is returned not depriving someone of their property.

22. wpotere Guest

You are depriving someone of something. You are depriving the movie companies and actors of their money. You are stealing from them, not the rental company. Copyright infringement is a form of theft IMHO...

I understand what you and the courts are saying but I don't agree with it. You are depriving the owners of the intellectual property their money so in my eyes it is still theft.

Here is how I feel about it...

http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilbert_blog/2007/04/is_copyright_vi.html

23. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

+1

Unfortunately, this topic will never go away because there will always be thieves who try and rationalize what they do because they refuse to admit they are amoral losers.

24. SeaChange macrumors regular

I have stolen over 500 albums and 200 movies and numerous App Store and Cydia apps since I jailbroke...and proud of it. I will be practicing IP law in about 6 months too. U Mad? :p

25. crazytiger86, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010

crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

I assume you passed your MPRE and your Moral Character exam with that attitude? Must have forgotten about 8.4(a), (b), and (c)...

http://www.abanet.org/cpr/mrpc/rule_8_4.html

Way to make us all look bad, mate.
    Christ, you'd think that the least you could have done was use "misappropriate" or something.