Any jumpers from iphone 6 to 7?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacBH928, Oct 13, 2016.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Can you please share your thoughts? was it worth it?

When I moved from 5 to 6, my 5 really felt outdated but now my 6 feels decent and current. People upgraded from 6 to 6s because it was faster last year, but I didn't hear much comparison between iphone 6 and 7.

2. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

I did it. Not a big jump, but enough to not regret paying for it outright. Camera, speakers, 3D Touch and overall peppiness are all welcome changes

3. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

I skipped the 6S and went from my 6 to the 7.

I'm enjoying having the new home button and the 3D/force-touch etc., but have to say that it really doesn't feel that much of a jump. I think that is made all the more noticeable due to the lack of the dual-lens camera on the standard 7, it's kinda hard not to feel just a bit cheated, just because I didn't really want the larger handset.

I'm already looking forward to the 8 (or whatever it's called) next year! :p

4. crapforks macrumors newbie

crapforks

6 to 7+. Happy. Its not like I am in a brave new world or anything, but it is faster. Had my screen not cracked, I probably wouldn't have upgraded immediately because my 6 was doing everything I do just fine. I absolutely love having the larger screen and force touch is pretty rad. Im excited to see what becomes of force touch in the future. I hope that with the underwhelming design changes in this generation, more efforts have been poured into improvements to Siri, Maps and Music.

If your 6 is running fine and not cracked, I wouldn't call the upgrade necessary. If you do upgrade, you won't be disappointed. Force touch alone would justify the upgrade for me.

5. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

Went from a 6 to a 7 plus and cannot say enough good things about it. The camera is a huge improvement over the 6's camera, both the low light and 2x cameras as a lot to the quality of the shots one can take. The speed is incredible. I love the 3D touch features that speed up usage across ios. The screen quality is incredible with the wide colour gamut really visibly better when comparing to my old 6's screen. I think the 7 is a big upgrade from the 6 even though the case hasn't changed tremendously.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

6S+ to the 7+ and no regrets. LOVE the new home button. Phone seem smoother and fast but the 6S+ was, too.

It was not a giant leap but was well worth it to me. Everyone needs to decide for themselves.

7. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

I went from the 6 to the 7.

Overall not a huge difference.

The new home button is nice but then you realize you need to cut a hole in the armband case in order to use it now and an additional hole out of the bottom of the case to stick out your new lightning headphones. I run a lot and always have my phone with me. Not a deal breaker but annoying. I haven't been able to find an armband case that has the home button cutout.

The speed is faster but not mindblowingly faster than the 6. I was hoping for more noticeable speed increase. I bet if you set a 6 side by side with 8.4.1 and a 7 on 10.0.2 things would be pretty comparable. If you update the 6 to 10 then for sure you will notice 2x faster on the 7.

The screen maybe is a little richer but I also am a lucky one who has a duller yellowish tinge in the bottom 1/4th of the screen that you can see on the keyboard and when scrolling text like on these forums. It makes my OCD go crazy but I'm trying to live with it.

The added speaker in the earpiece is nice. But not that much greater.

The camera seems to take a little bit crispier photos and low light and videos are nicer but I still don't get why the pictures have a watercolor washed out look when you zoom in??? Must be noise reduction. I never saw this on my 5 and 4. But I noticed it right away on my 6 and the 7 has it too but not quite as noticeable.

The battery.... BATTERY life has been awesome!!! This a10 chip REALLY sips the battery. I've been getting 2+hours more everyday for real without changing what I do. It really is better. And battery life alone is probably worth the update.

3D Touch. Oh yeah I always forget it's there then I use it and then I forget about it again till the next time I accidentally use it!

My mom dropped her 5c and cracked the screen so I sold her my 6 for cheap and bought the 7.

I really could have gotten through another year on the 6. It ran smooth and great on 9.3.5. Probably less buggy than my 7 on 10.0.2 but things should improve over time. I really like the better battery but I miss my more uniform iPhone 6 screen (that took me 8 tries but that's another story) and being able to use my home button through an armband for running.

8. jamdex macrumors member

Went from 6 to 7, no regrets. Love 3d touch and the home button. Like that its waterproof and it sounds better. Seeing a slight decrease in battery life though - might be related to the Apple Watch i bough at the same time? Never had one before so no comparison with a Watch on the 6.

9. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

It's interesting to hear people's thoughts. I'm a 6 user who's been tempted by the 7, but I don't intend to upgrade. My 6 is still fulfilling all my needs flawlessly. I just can't justify paying so much for the improvements that the 7 offers, especially since next year's phone is expected to offer an even bigger leap.

10. Complex757 macrumors regular

Complex757

I went from a 6 to a 7+. I like the larger size. When I got the 6 I was hesitant about getting a large phone, but it's a lot better than I thought it would be. It seems easier to hold and of course watching videos.

But like everyone else said, the upgrade isn't that big of a leap. Maybe if I still had a 5 or 5S.

My 6 ran fine, but the glitches in 10 sort of take away from the improvements.

11. KarmelVixen macrumors member

KarmelVixen

I went from the 6 to the 7 plus since I skipped the 6s. The size was the biggest reason I upgraded. I spend way to much time on my phone & was starting to have an eye strain issues. The camera & force touch is also a great upgrade. I have no regrets about getting the 7 plus.

12. Lizzie W. macrumors newbie

Lizzie W.

Hello! I upgraded from a 6+ to a 7+, and I'm really happy I did it. This phone is much faster for me; I can put the two side by side, and this one renders images and downloads emails at least twice as fast as my "old" phone. It opens apps right away, too. I also find the screen to be significantly better--the colors are richer and deeper, which I love, and the slightly warmer white point makes reading eBooks easier on my eyes. Speaker sound is great, not only for music, but also for using speakerphone on conference calls for work. I take a lot of animal pictures and portraits, so of course I'm enjoying the camera improvements. My favorite changes, though, are the new home button and the 3D touch features within iOS 10. They allow for small timesavers that really add up, especially when reading/sorting email and responding to messages. Battery life is good; I usually have to charge only every other day.

For anybody wanting to know about battery life on the regular 7: I had one of those, too, in the beginning. I had badly wanted to downsize to the smaller model, for one-handed use and more portability, but I couldn't get used to it and had to exchange. Anyway, I had a 7 for almost two full weeks, and I can say the battery life on it was fantastic, too. I still could get through a whole day and have plenty left for standby at night, and wait to charge at work the next morning. I did not notice that the screen resolution was any less beautiful on the smaller phone, and, like the 7+, it handled everything faster than my 6+.

As other people have said, I wouldn't call the upgrade from 6 to 7 a necessary one, or a wildly exciting one (exterior design change-wise), but it's very nice.

13. entropik macrumors member

If my JB 7+ ever comes in, I will be jumping from a 6. Seems like a huge upgrade to me: much better camera, better sound, bigger and better screen, stronger construction, water resistance, taptic engine, 3D touch, fast as hell, Hey Siri, etc...

14. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I made the jump from a 6+ to a 7+, skipped the 6s as it just didn't seem to offer enough.

This time round though there's definitely improvements. It's faster, the increase in ram makes a big difference in Safari especially. Better camera obviously, 4K video, I like 3D Touch far more than I thought I would, water resistance is a bonus, I do see a difference in the screen when I've got them side by side not so much independently, stereo speakers are a bonus for when I'm cooking, love the home button.

There's a big list of improvements, I had intended to just wait it out for next years phone, the camera is the main thing that got me to upgrade this year and I'm glad I did. As a complete package it's significantly better than my 6 Plus. Ymmv.

15. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Interesting... I thought uneven displays and yellow tints died with the iPad 3 in 2012

16. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I went from 6 to 7 b/c Verizon gave me $650! for my 6. Otherwise, I wouldn't have. I like the snappiness (seriously), the improved camera, the 3D Touch, the darker black, "Hey Siri," and the screen quality. Also, the battery life is absolutely killer.

17. mhaniff macrumors member

6+ to 7+ here, huge difference in performance, startup, launching programs, multi-tasking and of course the camera is spectacular.

18. pippakay macrumors member

pippakay

i went from a 6 to a 7. it's nice, but...not a big change.

made me miss how excited i was to get the 5, frankly. i haven't really been excited about a phone since then.

19. newellj macrumors 603

On the fence. Have been using a pair of 6s since launch and used a 6S for about a week this summer.

If I had a 6S, I really don't think I'd upgrade. The 6S is noticeably more responsive (especially the gen 2 Touch ID sensor) than the 6, but the 7 isn't that much faster than the 6S. Both have 3D touch capabilities.

THe 6 is a little harder to call. The 7 is clearly faster, though other than unlocking the phone or doing other things that use TouchID, it's hard to notice unless you're using them side by side. The 6 doesn't take advantage of 3D touch in iOS 9 and 10, but I haven't really found that many compelling uses for 3D touch anyway.

I personally think the 6 to 7 upgrade is a close call, not compelling. YMMV.

20. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

Huge upgrade, I upgraded my wife from a 6+ to 7+ and the 2014 iPhone has not aged well at all. The RAM and cameras are well worth the upgrade.

21. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I couldn't agree more. The battery life is also significantly better on the 7 than on the 6. From the 6s to the 7 it's really not that big of an upgrade, but it's huge if you're coming from the 6.

22. Mefisto macrumors 6502

Mefisto

For the battery life alone it would have been a good decision for me to jump 6->7.

The added RAM, faster processor, faster Touch ID, 3D Touch and Matte Black option (I'm a sucker for appearances, sue me) only sweetened the deal.

I had originally thought that I'd skip the 7's and go straight from 6 to 8, but hey, in a couple of years when they've ironed out the bugs and flaws of the 8 I'll happily go out and get me an 8S, or whatever the choose to call it.

23. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Mine should arrive today, I am not expecting to be blown away performance wise, I see it more as finally having the full functionality of iOS 10 (minus "Portrait" mode for the camera). Things like wireless "Hey Siri", 3D Touch, lift to wake, etc... just a more complete experience than the 6 has. Things like battery life are not something I care about, the 6 has suited my needs fine for that. The one hardware bit I am happy to be getting is 256GB of storage. Finally enough room to carry my entire music library with me (70+GB) and still have room for photos and apps. I might even get back into buying music videos.

24. Picapau21 macrumors 6502

4 main differences:

1. Phone feels much faster and doesn't slow down as much as my 6 did.
    2. I didn't think waterproofing would be useful until I used it in the hot tub today
    3. Zoom and shallow depth of field effect on camera are really nice if you take a lot of photos.
    4. Force touch scrolling is very useful. Otherwise force touch is pretty useless.

25. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

I really did find a lot of difference. Do not get me wrong, it will look and feel like pretty much the same phone, but that was where it stopped for me.

Speed difference is night and day different to me. I didn't feel like my 6 was slow, but it sure does now. Your mileage may vary, but I am very happy with my upgrade from a 6.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 14, 2016 ---
    That's funny. I use force touch nonstop for notifications on the lock screen. Not even sure what it does when you scroll? I noticed the force touch on the keyboard allows for character selection.