Any luck selling iPhone 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by photogpab, Sep 17, 2014.

1. photogpab macrumors 6502

photogpab

Put mine up on craigslist a few days ago... not even 1 single email. Which is weird!

2. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Tell us more.
    What are you asking and for what exact model?

3. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Assuming you're getting an iPhone 6 why not turn your iPhone 5S to the carrier you're getting the iPhone 6 from? Every major carrier is offering good money for buy backs but I think it's a bill credit, not cash in hand.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Because you can get significantly more selling directly on Craigslist.

5. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Co-worker offered me $350.

5s. Cased from day one in a Mophie and glass screen protector.

Got the phone 100% free because of an error on ATT's part so I think that is a fair price.

----------

There are also guys walking the lines at Apple iPhone launches that will give you money on the spot for your phone while you are waiting in line.

6. 1968 macrumors regular

Yeah just ask the OP.

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Why would I do that?

8. atlbuc macrumors member

9. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Size and Carrier?

10. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Sold mine on Craigslist last week - $430

16GB silver, Verizon.

11. atlbuc macrumors member

Verizon 32GB

12. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

My girlfriend sold hers to envirofone for £245, not bad for an easy sale.

13. MasterChat macrumors member

Maybe your price is the reason.

14. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

I want to sell on Craigslist for the extra cash, but I can get $300 on the spot from VZW or Apple and have never sold on Craigslist before, and not sure I want to deal with the hassle...seems like a lot of people do resort to it though. Tough to trust people these days.

15. photogpab thread starter macrumors 6502

photogpab

it's an iPhone 5S 32GB AT&T - brand new looking, original box and cables... I listed it for $375. Not a single bite so far. Weird

16. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I know that but the OP has not been successful selling it on CL so far.

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Your point?

----------

Have you posted pics? Why don't you give us a link so we can critique your listing.

18. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

I'm in Boise right now.
    Hilarious to watch people listing 16gb, locked to AT&T 5s iPhones for upwards of $500.

lol

Hope they want to keep the phone. That's about $150-$200 *more* than I know I would pay for such a device.

19. photogpab, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

photogpab thread starter macrumors 6502

photogpab

yessir. photos posted. short description but i mean.... its an iphone. haha

20. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I've been a keen observer and participant of Craigsliat for many years and the patterns are always the same.

Immediately at launch the resale value of the previous gen drops like a rock. Instead of getting $375 you'd have to list at $250, for example.

But once hype dies down in 1 to 2 months or so the price rebounds a little to say $325 or $350.

It's simple economics, supply and demand. There's always some people looking to buy used iPhones. The number of used buyers doesn't change with launch dates because they're buying used so they're clearly not early adopters.

However the supply increases dramatically because so many people who have the latest model want to keep up and get the newer one, so they list theirs along with the usual weekly listings from random people.

When demand is fairly constant and supply shoots up dramatically, the market price drops. This does encourage some to enter the used buying market to take advantage of the price drops but these entries don't offset the spike in supply.

So if you want to rid yourself of the phone, drop the price and sell fast or trade in. If you want maximum value, hold off selling for a few weeks to a month and a half or so.

Econ 101.

21. Geckotek, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I agree that's too high...however, I've found that there is always someone willing to pay a bit more for what they perceive to be a) a well taken care of device with the box and accessories, b) a nicely put together listing, and c) from someone they feel is trustworthy and won't rip them off. Due to this I consistently list my items at the high end of what I see others selling for on CL...and I get it.

So unless you're just in a hurry and don't want to put in a few extra minutes of effort, try listing your item toward the higher end of the prices you see others listing for. A little time putting together a nice listing, describing not only the device and it's condition, but yourself as well, and some patience...usually pays off in the end with $50-$100 more in your pocket.

----------

You gave us the manage URL....you'll want to remove that ASAP!

22. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

I'm selling mine next week for around $550, AT&T 64GB jailbroken + unlocked, I sold my iPhone 5 last year for $580.

23. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I wasn't trying to make a point. It was just a suggestion to the OP. Good gracious, some people here. :rolleyes:

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

They're a dime a dozen right about now... sold my 64GB for $600 a couple days before the announcement of the 6/6+

25. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Also, that link let's anyone on here edit your posting. You should remove it and repost the public link!