Any new displays coming?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sparkie7, Sep 28, 2014.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

As in larger than 27", anti-glare, maybe 4K from Apple?

A replacement for the venerable and sadly discountinued 30" ACD..

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Dell is shipping a "5K" 5120x2880 27" LCD later this year for $2500 and Apple is now rumored to be imminently updating the iMac with that panel.

So stands to reason if they do, we'll see a new Thunderbolt Display with the same panel (probably for around $2000-2500).

http://www.maximumpc.com/dells_5k_monitor_pre_reviewed_2014

3. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

They need to bring back a updated version of the 30" not sure if they will put that display in the imac the cost is going to be too high just my opinion

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I think we will not see 30" displays from Apple again. When the 27" Retinat iMac is introduced we might see a new version of Thunderbolt Display. I guess much has to do with the screen vendors being about to deliver the panels in large enough volume.

5. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

yeah its a bummer... the only redesign if there will be a new thunderbolt display is probably a display as thin as the current 27" iMac. i don't see them jumping a huge gap to WOW us just yet.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

For me no problem. I don't want a screen bigger than 27-28" size. I am not even sure I want/need 5K. A 27" 4K ATD with USB3 ports would work for me.

7. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

I don't see the 4k screen coming out anytime soon with Apple just yet. But I do see that they might just make the screen thinner like the iMacs and probably upgrade the usb ports to 3.0. What I hope they do is redesign the bluetooth keyboard with illumination like the macbooks. But we can all wish! lol

8. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

yeah I do not see any update on the TB displays just yet I'd say end of 2015 or maybe mid 2016 for an upgrade

9. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

It will only be in the top-end BTO iMac.
    That things is already almost beyond "I don't care"-expensive even without a 4K display.
    Will be interesting to see how the differentiation vs. the nMP works.

10. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

Just get a 30'' off eBay. I did, probably the best decision i've made to my productivity.

11. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

I heard too many issues trying to use it with the new macs with the $99 converter they are selling. Do you get any glitches?

12. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

Use it with the real Apple Dual DVI converter. Works fine with my Mac Mini , Macbook Air , and my Mac Pro.

Not one issue at all.

13. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I have three already hooked to my MP 2008. I was tempted to get another form my MBP. But held off waiting for a new  30". They come up on ebay and usually attract quite a few bids.

The thing to look for is the age of the monitor and discolouration. Mine are still ok, but I bought mine new. My 23" ACD on the other hand had major discolouration just 3 years in..

14. theluggage macrumors 68030

It stood to reason that Apple would have released a new TB display in 2012/2013 to match the 2012 iMac with the thin design and anti-glare screen, and to add USB3. They didn't.

Its hard to guess what they're thinking with the TB display.

Also, connecting that 5K screen to any current Mac via Thunderbolt could be a problem - its easier if they put it in an iMac because they can connect it internally via 2 DisplayPort lines.

At the least, I wouldn't expect to see a new "retina" TB display until they've rolled out Thunderbolt 2 to the Air and Mini.

Frankly, I'll believe the 5k iMac when I see it (and when I see the price!)

15. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

It will interesting to see what Apple has in mind. Lets hope we see the ATD2 announced in a few days and shipping by Christmas.

http://www.tekrevue.com/retina-thunderbolt-display/

16. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

We do need to remember that Apple had terrible yields on those iMacs at first, however, so they had to divert their production capacity to meeting iMac demand and therefore they would have held off on a new TBD in that form factor.

I also would not be surprised that once they had the production issues ironed out, the "retina/5K" displays were starting to look like they would exist in the "near term" and therefore Apple held off on releasing a TBD in the current-generation iMac format. It's also possible Apple has a significant supply of current ATDs and rather than launching a new one and having to discount the older model to move it, decided to wait until the new "retina/5K" panels were ready.

17. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

The "It's been way too long" tag line hopefully is implying that everything that hasn't been refreshed in the last year gets an update, so that would be the display.

If the display needed 2 TB ports, as long as it then offered 2 outs it wouldn't really matter surely?

18. MacTCE macrumors 6502

The Thunderbolt display hasn't been updated since 2011. So it's long over due.

19. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I dont even wanna know what a imac will cost if they put that 2500 dollar display on there. Even as an upgrade option that is a hell ol lot of money to spend on an all in one. They will be nice but no way in hell id invest 4k+ into an imac.

20. HFoletto macrumors member

I think I'd rather a Ultrawide monitor instead of a 5k monitor. 5K would be hard as hell to drive at stable 60hz. I doubt my rMBP would drive it nicely. Also, Ultrawide has 34% more space than a 16:9 1440p (doubled or not) monitor (and I don't think 2880p in a 27" monitor would be usable at native resolution).
    Of course, it's not a crystal sharp image, but we can't have everything.

Let's hope for Thunderbolt 3 soon.

21. Padmini macrumors 6502a

They are unveiling an iMac with Retina Display on Oct. 16th.

22. viettanium macrumors regular

4K display on iMac 21.5-inch (3840x2160)
    5K display on iMac 27-inch (5120x2880)

23. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

I'm wondering if Apple hasn't decided to abandon the "display market" and leave that to third-party monitor makers -- just as it completely dropped it's printer line some years ago....

24. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

I'm really excited for oct 16th mainly for the displays.
    If they just bring a retina iMac I would be really upset.

I've got a nMP since 10 months and waiting for a proper Apple Retina Display solution for my baby. Would be sooo awesome!
    I'm afraid of the 5k / TB2 Data rate limit problems though. Just hope they'll come up with a two port solution instead of just giving us 4k at 24" or abandon the nMP users alltogether and come up with TB3.

I doubt the latter though.