Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocks.

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
It's been days since a new rumor has surfaced. Any news on any invites for the press? Anyone who works within Apple or knows their next move? LOL I'm so impatient, and this is extremely frustrating. I want to know what to expect, and don't want to have to wait before they announce what it is and possibly disappoint me.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
I was the same way last year and still am a little, I still have to save up a little bit of money for the new touch. When a new rumor comes up, it will end up on all the tech sites like this one. Weekends are slow when it comes to rumors, I bet next week we will get a few.

pcuser94

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2010
I was going to buy the iPod Touch back last september but the lack of camera disapointed me so i decided to wait till the 4th Gen. If it does not have the 2 cameras and the other features it has been rumored to have I will be so thoughroughlly (I spelt that really wrong) disapointed with apple that I will never buy another one of their products.

lbro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2009
I was going to buy the iPod Touch back last september but the lack of camera disapointed me so i decided to wait till the 4th Gen. If it does not have the 2 cameras and the other features it has been rumored to have I will be so thoughroughlly (I spelt that really wrong) disapointed with apple that I will never buy another one of their products.

That's pretty harsh, so if they don't add a camera you will never buy another one of their products? Seems to me you're just hurting yourself...

Rocks.

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
People have such high expectations that the announcements are always disappointing.

What I mean is, if they end up not putting cameras/facetime/retina display or whatever, and I had to wait all these months because they didn't announce it when I could have just bought a 3rd gen if I knew they would have done that. I just want them to announce it now so I know what to expect and if I should wait or not.

isf215

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
What I mean is, if they end up not putting cameras/facetime/retina display or whatever, and I had to wait all these months because they didn't announce it when I could have just bought a 3rd gen if I knew they would have done that. I just want them to announce it now so I know what to expect and if I should wait or not.

Personally i would be happy with one camera, preferably on the back, to take pictures easily. Facetime is kind of stupid anyways and two cameras would be a little overkill.....but thats just my opinion. But i am getting a little antsy as well.

Metal Dice

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2009
Denmark

You sound really clever...

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
It's been days since a new rumor has surfaced. Any news on any invites for the press? Anyone who works within Apple or knows their next move? LOL I'm so impatient, and this is extremely frustrating. I want to know what to expect, and don't want to have to wait before they announce what it is and possibly disappoint me.

The back camera would be most important to me. After all of these threads, do we have any reliable estimate on the back camera? The front camera seems 99%, the evidence is compelling.

gta50419

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
Personally i would be happy with one camera, preferably on the back, to take pictures easily. Facetime is kind of stupid anyways.
i thought i was the only one who thought facetime would be a dumb idea for ipod..
all it needs is a redesign and hd 5mp back cam (some ppl says it's not going to happen though) :(

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
i thought i was the only one who thought facetime would be a dumb idea for ipod..
all it needs is a redesign and hd 5mp back cam (some ppl says it's not going to happen though) :(

Facetime is "neat" at best. A friend and I Facetimed a bit when we first got the iPhone 4. It was fun, but totally "for kicks", and just to see it work. I can't see using it regularly to talk about anything other than Facetime itself, and how neat it is.

The only other instance I can see it being cool is when one parent is home with their kid, and the other parent works. Then the kid can talk to and see daddy or mommy at work during the day to say hello. I can see that being a weekly or bi-weekly thing. But that also depends on the working parent to have Wifi at work, and also Wifi that doesn't block Facetime. I set up Wifi at my job, but Facetime calls would not go thru, so I suspect it is blocked.

I'm starting to feel like I'm not that psyched about the cameras on the new touch. In all honesty I wasn't thrilled with the back cam quality on the iPhone 4. Though I did really like the video quality. Stills were always fuzzy when indoors. Outdoors much clearer obviously because of available natural light, but even then the pictures can't match up to my Kodak Z612 which is quite a few years old at this point.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR

Lol.

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010

Well I agree, but honestly I just need the back camera, I could live without the front one easily. If I don't get a back camera of some sort or a camera that can take pictures or one that will work with barcode scanning apps and other apps I will be seriously disappointed. If this iPod touch is a huge huge disappointed like if it came out with no camera's I might head for the android competitor!

I too waited since last year for one with a camera, since last year's touch update was really, really lackluster.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Early-Mid September event. Invites usually go out 5-10 days in advance. It seems kind of obvious to me what the next gen iPod touch will get.

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
I don't give a crap about front or back facing camera. I just want:

Retina display
gyroscope
A4 processor

Maybe:

New design (especially the back material)
Same price point at higher capacity (hahah! Wishful thinking much?)
Same battery life (or higher)

It's a iPod first and other stuff second. With jailbreaking legit now, we can get native support for all sorts of media format. I am absolutely psyched to get the best of both worlds (great design and format support)

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Obvious?? Here's a curveball: What about a physical orientation lock switch? Y/N?

I don't think so, that feature is included in iOS 4 already. Plus, the iPad only has that because the iPad was designed to be able to be used in any orientation, and therefor locked into any orientation. With the iPod, however, many application and even the home screen can only be viewed while in portrait. It's a possibility that they could have a physical switch to lock it into portrait, but I highly doubt it.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Obvious?? Here's a curveball: What about a physical orientation lock switch? Y/N?

No way. Apple likes to keep buttons to a minimum. 4 buttons/switches total on the outside of of the iPhone/iPod-touch is proof of that.

Simplicity. The multi-touch screen is brilliant in that it lets you have any number of buttons/switches in any configuration depending on the current needs.

The orientation lock in the OS works great.

MsMerryMac

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
I can only assume that Apple is not unveiling the new ipods today. I was really hoping that rumor was true. :(

I was so hoping that as well, my 2nd gen is now needing charged twice a day, poor bugger and it's really starting to slow down quite a bit for some odd reason. Tired, I suppose. Hope it makes it to launch!

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
People have such high expectations that the announcements are always disappointing.

Yeah, the buildup before an Apple release is insane. It does sort of make the end a little anticlimactic in a lot of cases.

Part of me wants to just get the current gen, and wait till next year to get the new one. Put my buying cycle behind the release cycle. Then I never have to wait for my new one. I never have to speculate on what the new one will have. I'll know way in advance if the new features are actually features I need. I really am tempted to just hit Amazon right now and pick up a 32GB, but after using that Retina display on the iPhone 4, and playing with that HD video camera, I am salivating as much as the next guy.

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
I was so hoping that as well, my 2nd gen is now needing charged twice a day, poor bugger and it's really starting to slow down quite a bit for some odd reason. Tired, I suppose. Hope it makes it to launch!

I noticed a slow down on my 1G ipod touch, but after clearing a couple pages of apps I don't use as often, there was an improvement in overall performance.

True, however there is a good number of people (like me) that are still hanging out in the 1G and 2G area, where no matter what it has, it is a good upgrade and worth the purchase. 128 MB RAM to 512 MB is a nice boost to play Strategery. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.