Any new official line from Apple on iMac/Mac Pro ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mjoshi123, Sep 13, 2012.

1. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

I remember after MBPR event apple mentioned they will be doing desktop sometime next year and then came back saying iMac will come this year when pressed by reporters. So did anyone even bother to ask Apple about what is happening with iMac ? Does Tim Cook respond to direct customer emails like Steve Jobs used to do once in a while. It is getting frustrating getting no new news on iMac front after this event.

2. iHailCarlo macrumors 6502

Nothing at all, I guess some people are going to buy a PC. SMH

3. mjoshi123 thread starter macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

How easy it is to upgrade 2010 iMac 27" with SSD compared to 2011 iMac ? Also what is performance difference between two ? I might end up getting 2010 if it is easier to uprgrade SSD into it and performance wise i7 on 2010 is same as i7 on 2011.

4. edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

I've realized that no one really cares besides us in the forums but when it comes to the people that went to the events and people who writes stories they don't give a flying f about it. Notice I told mark Gurman from 9to5 Mac and Arnold Kim from Mac rumors thar the shipping dates started slipping theyve have respond to me in the past when I said that they completely ignore me and kept posting pointless iPhone 5 quotes and stuff they simply don't care like I said they need to stop wacking to the iPhone it's already out there's not too much more to say and they just don't want to move on because they simply don't care. Its sad and it pisses me off

5. mjoshi123 thread starter macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Probably first time I'm seeing so many people excited about 4 inches :)

I remember last time guy from AllthingsD (forgot his name) asked about what is status of desktops and they came back with some information. This time there is no mention about anything and to top it off there is nothing new about iPhone5, it is more of a form factor copy of existing android devices.

6. richest macrumors regular

iPad mini no mention, and of of the mac mini.

How old does the kit have to be before they upgrade it for goodness sake or even make an official comment,

I have been a pc user for the last 30 years, just bought an iPad new, and have been lurkin for a while here waiting to change to iMac and pay them 2grand or so.

Not however with 2011 tec.

If no replacements are shipped by jan 2013 that's almost 2 years without change,

Outrageous with most products, but with computers...REALLY.

This Cook fella and his side kicks have a very strange attitude .

7. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

When it's ready.

Right, because a manufacturing issue is an attitude problem.

The thing was supposed to be out by now. It's not. Apple doesn't preannounce new Macs. When they have something we can buy, they'll let us know, but in the meantime they're not going to put out a press release to tell us to stop buying the old stuff because the new thing is coming.

8. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

This is what i hate about Apple. It seems all their product line except the money makers (iphone, ipad) get put aside for awhile. Look at the ipod touch. It looks cool but two years with no refresh. I wouldn't purchase one, it will get slow fast, especially since its using a A5 chip from last year.

The ipod nano on the otherhand looks sick. Hot, all it needs is wifi, be a mini ipod touch, wont happen, Apple likes having every device, even the low end ones like the ipod nano have certain features. Like gesures on the iPad. Like a contract which gets you calls on iPhone.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Computers now make up a small and shrinking percentage of Apple's revenue... less than 30%. Expect it to be crowded out by the iPhone and iPod news increasingly in the future. Having said that, the desktops have been WAY overdue for what should have been a simple update (Ivy Bridge CPUs and 7XXX series GPUs). This could have been done 6 months ago. Only Apple knows why they are taking so long.

10. ctdonath macrumors 65816

ctdonath

There was a dramatic case of this early in the personal computer industry.

The Osborne was the first "portable" (very much in quotes) computer. It was very popular. When the company announced it was working on the Osborne 2, which would be announced a couple months hence, sales of the Osborne 1 stopped completely (customers figured they could wait a few weeks, and didn't want to get stuck buying an old model days before the new one arrived). Cash flow stopped because there were no sales. Development stopped because there was no cash flow. The company issued a statement to wit "if you don't buy the old model, we can't make the new model" and closed its doors.

(The story is a bit more complex than that, but that's the canonical summary.)

11. LorenK macrumors 6502

C'mon people, Apple's been focused on the iPhone and iPod updates, and read that iMac was due for an update next month. I think that there is an overreaction when Apple doesn't update as fast as we'd like.

Think about the computer market: you have Apple making Apple, then you have 80 other companies making Wintel boxes. Of course you're going to see new processors and configurations rolled out faster, there's 80 different guys trying to keep up with each. What should be more important is that when you pay the extra money for the Apple computer that it lasts longer and works better than one from the other 80 guys.

I have an Mac Pro 3,1 for which I paid $2200, and which does everything that I want it to do without any issues, and even with it having a shortened OS life now, it will continue to work for a few mores year without problem. I am on my third wintel box in the same time and while the cost wasn't as high, the frustration with the wintel boxes probably took months off my life.

Perspective folks. New iMacs will come and they will be good.

12. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

I am very confident that new iMacs are only about a month or so away.

...but I am curious....

When would be their next opportunity to announce them?

Would there be another press event such as yesterday when the iPhone 5 was announced, or, would we just suddenly see a press release from Apple announcing the bumped specs?

(The rumored iPad Minis have yet to be announced so perhaps those two will be tied together)

13. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

Thanks, that has actually talked me down from the ledge a little bit....

14. Bargle, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

Bargle macrumors regular

1) I'm begining to think apple needs a product for 2013. Waiting on the iMac gives them the opportunity to do just that.

2) It also gives them time to see where the desktop market is going. Touch screen? TV integration?

3) Apple also doesn't want to artificially deflate the sales of their new MBP line with a competing product (how many people who come to this board say they will buy a MBP-r if the new iMacs don't come out?) and they touted yesterday how good their sales were.

4) Ivy bridge and 650m is not a great leap forward from current models for the low end and the current gpu on the high end 27" is still one of the absolute best mobile cards on the market! And apple needs to keep the price down so that they have a 1000$ entry computer.

My guess is no 2012 which is why I just made my sandy bridge order. Of course I get education pricing which is why I'm jumping now ad upgrading my G4 iBook! (SSD 2.8ghz 21.5" is a big leap forward) But they have quad-core i7 SSD 27" iMacs for 2,200 in the refurb page. For the casual user, an education price, or a refurb model is probably the way to go.

If I had a 2009 or 2010 iMac. I would totally understand waiting it out however.

I figure I've got 3 years of apple care and I'll sell my computer in two 1/2 years for an upgrade.

15. eyebex macrumors member

General rant in reply to some comments in this thread

I, too, am frustrated at the lack of refresh for the desktops. So much so that I am now considering staying with a PC for my next computer instead of switching to apple.

I don't understand the lack of focus on desktops and the energies that Apple invests into other devices such as the iPod. I mean who cares about the iPod? It is basically an iPhone without cellular capability. Why does such a device get so much attention? Who buys these things and why? Do people buy an iPod and then some other device to use as mobile phone?

Selling the aging desktop tech at the premium prices is just short of gouging. Fanbois buy them because they are fanbois and clued out masses buy them because they don't know any better; everybody is paying more than the stuff is worth and apple is raking it all in.

I am so frustrated with Apple's attitude towards desktops that even when I do need to replace my PC and a refreshed iMac actually is available, I may just go with another PC.

RE a comment earlier about production problems not being attitude: It IS attitude. Apple is a great problem solver and they always find a way to get what they need if it is important to them. Desktops just aren't important anymore.

I am not selling my aapl stock though. I think it is going to keep going up for quite some time, but I may just look elsewhere for my computing needs.

16. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Lest you forget, the White iPhone 4 was delayed by about 9 months for something as stupid as mixing the right paint. Sometimes, manufacturing issues are manufacturing issues, and there's no amount of yelling, screaming, tossing extra money around, or threatening to withhold money that will make them be solved any faster.

17. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

So helpful. We get it, you're sick of these threads. But your "it will be out when its out stop bitching" comments on every thread is just as annoying. Of course that is when they will be out. Doesn't mean people don't want to vent a little.

18. eyebex macrumors member

I don't know anything about the details of the white iPhone but I am guessing it wasn't a priority for Apple to get a white one out immediately. Maybe because the black one was out selling great?

9 months on a white paint vs how-many-month-overdue-is-the-desktop-line-now-18-or-so? shows that it is not a manufacturing issue. It just is not a priority for Apple. It's sad but there isn't much I can do about it except post the odd pointless internet rant.

19. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Perhaps. Really I'm just a bit frustrated that people think it means anything that it wasn't mentioned yesterday. You don't go to a Yankees game expecting to see the Jets. Absolutely nothing has changed; all the reports that suggested a range from late September to late October are just as valid as they ever were. Venting would be more appropriate when we reach All Hallow's Eve and we still have no sign.

----------

Actually it was a huge priority and an embarrassment. Every few weeks they kept saying "soon.. October.. December.. Spring..". They just couldn't get it right. Meanwhile their website had marketing images of a phone you couldn't buy.

As near as we can tell, given the assumption of an Nvidia 680M (which was released in early July) in the top end, this model was slated for Mountain Lion day, and is now about 2 months late. It will be about 3 months late when it's released.

20. MsWano macrumors newbie

really really really really disappointed

I feel like I've been waiting a lifetime. I'm doing work on my old MacBook Pro that I really need to be doing on a 27" desktop. We have been warned by MacRumors, not to buy, for many months now; that the new ones, with major overhauls, are coming, so I've waited and waited.

I hope we get some good news in the next month.

I can see why Apple wouldn't want to announce an upcoming product because of the impact it would have on current sales, but from what I've read, half the Apple stores are out of 27" iMacs and new ones are not coming--so what would it hurt them to let us know when they are planning on making an announcement?

21. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Listen...

I don't know any more about this than the next guy.

I read all the rumors coming through multiple RSS feeds each and every day.

It seems that new iMacs are coming. I believe that.

The problem probably lies in production problems at the moment. It happens.

Why not give it another month? Allegedly Apple is supposed to announce a new iPad Mini. I would anticipate, if true, the iMacs will share the spotlight with that.

I don't understand why everyone is getting so upset over this. When I finally knew that a new iMac was not going to be announced yesterday I immediately resolved myself to the fact that it would be probably be announced in a few weeks.

22. eyebex macrumors member

Perhaps some have been waiting much longer than you. Macrumors has had a don't buy status on iMac for close to a year.

23. richest macrumors regular

Very true...we want our tec now.

24. damir00 macrumors 6502a

My recollection is that the actual words didn't say "iMac this year", they said "when we said next year, we were specifically referring to Mac Pro".

Those are two very different statements.

25. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I've been waiting since February to buy my first iMac, and like many others here refuse to pay 2012 price for 2011 tech. My concern is by the time they are going to release won't the next bunch of chips be due out? The more I think about it the more I'm convinced 2012 is the year without an iMac release. Hope I'm wrong though.