Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weemanpow3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
After TetherMe came out, musclenerd said another $2 tether app is due next week. This next one he said it is supposed to wifi tether. Was he just joking or is this really true?
rutufk.jpg

http://twitter.com/musclenerd

I am so close to buying MyWi, but the price tag and rockapp/rock support is holding me back from purchasing. I want the wifi tethering to tether multiple devices, not just one.

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
I'm hoping a cheaper alternative comes out soon as well.

In the meantime, you might be interested to know that with the $2 package on cydia that enables native tethering (bt + usb) you can tether with bluetooth or usb to your macbook (which I see you have according to your sig) and then through your macbook, in system preferences, you can enable internet sharing under the "sharing" section. This way you can create an ad-hoc wifi network with your macbook and other devices can access the web through it.

This works like an absolute charm for me, although a cheaper wifi tethering app than mywi would be the best case scenario.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The reason musclenerd is making his own app because the person running Rock is trying to divert traffic from a jailbreaker-made app to the Rock version.

Anyway, I would wait. The bluetooth version suppose to save battery btw.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I bought MyWi 4.0 because at the time there was no other option.

It's very ridiculous that it's Rock-only, however. At the same time, Cydia has nothing for customer service or transferring of licenses (other than having Saurik manually transfer it, which takes forever because he never responds to any emails).

Needless to say, it's annoying that Mywi went from $5, to $10 and now $20. Glad it has some competition.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
I bought MyWi 4.0 because at the time there was no other option.

It's very ridiculous that it's Rock-only, however. At the same time, Cydia has nothing for customer service or transferring of licenses (other than having Saurik manually transfer it, which takes forever because he never responds to any emails).

Needless to say, it's annoying that Mywi went from $5, to $10 and now $20. Glad it has some competition.

It's now $20!??! Woah!!!

How do they get away with charging more while adding no new features!?! It's about time they get some competition.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
From what I've read, it does have added features. For example, people say that it doesn't kill the battery as quickly. I refused to touch it, because of the battery issue.
It's now $20!??! Woah!!!

How do they get away with charging more while adding no new features!?! It's about time they get some competition.

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
From what I've read, it does have added features. For example, people say that it doesn't kill the battery as quickly. I refused to touch it, because of the battery issue.

That doesn't sound like a feature.......Especially one to pay for!

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008

Rewriting it for iOS4 and adding the ability to adjust the strength of the signal don't count as new features, huh? Here's a tip, don't like the price, don't buy it.

See previous comment.

That doesn't sound like a feature.......Especially one to pay for!

Variable signal output not a feature, huh? What kind of features do you add to the software you've written?

NoStopN

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Murfreesboro, TN
The reason musclenerd is making his own app because the person running Rock is trying to divert traffic from a jailbreaker-made app to the Rock version.

Anyway, I would wait. The bluetooth version suppose to save battery btw.

Since I let everyone else test apps before I buy, I should ask this. I know that iTether does BT tethering (maybe only BT), but TetherMe does BT & USB. I wonder if the new option coming next week will have all 3 (WiFi, BT, & USB).

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Rewriting it for iOS4 and adding the ability to adjust the strength of the signal don't count as new features, huh? Here's a tip, don't like the price, don't buy it.

I think that's the point of this thread... This thread is for people who don't want to shell out $20 for something we might not even use more than twice a month. Hence we are waiting for the cheaper version made by devteam...

ViViDboarder has clearly stated he wants some competition and I believe competition is good.

I understand you LOVE MyWi so much and this is probably the 20th times I see you defending the application and its developer. I respect your position but please stop forcing others to BELIEVE that MyWi is worth it FOR THEIR SITUATION.

Unfortunately, by repeating the same argument over and over again about added feature as justification for the increased price, you are no better than those MyWi basher who are complaining about the price repeatedly.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Unfortunately, by repeating the same argument over and over again about added feature as justification for the increased price, you are no better than those MyWi basher who are complaining about the price repeatedly.

Now I understand. The MyWi crybabies can pollute every thread that mentions MyWi with their immature rants, but I can't present the other side? Right. They stop whining, I stop. Don't like it, don't read the threads. Simple solution. Additionally, people are not saying MyWi is not worth it for their situation. They are whining about the price. Notice, they don't say what a fair price would be, they are just whining. People who can afford $80 or more/month and a multi-hundred dollar phone who pi$$ and moan about $20 are one step above people who steal apps on the human debris scale. I have self worth than to whine on a discussion forum about how much MyWi costs.

No where did I say the improvements justified the price. I was simply correcting yet another uninformed whiner who said there were no improvements. There are improvements. Fact.

Also, I have iTether on my iPad and TetherMe on my iPhone4 in addition to MyWi.

Only ever want to connect one device to your iPhone at a time - TetherMe - $1.99
Need to connect an iPad - iTether - $5.00 for a total of $6.99
Want an Access point to support multiple connections - MyWi - $10 upgrade/$20 new license.

EDIT: Adding to what thelatinist says below, there are tethering solutions that range from $0.00 to $20.00 ($10.00 for existing customers).

Man up or shut up.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Not that I don't think Cirdan's TetherMe package is valuable for its ease of use, but it is entirely possible to get USB and BlueTooth tethering absolutely free using ultrasn0w and a couple of simple file edits.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Now I understand. The MyWi crybabies can pollute every thread that mentions MyWi with their immature rants, but I can't present the other side? Right. They stop whining, I stop. Don't like it, don't read the threads. Simple solution. Additionally, people are not saying MyWi is not worth it for their situation. They are whining about the price. Notice, they don't say what a fair price would be, they are just whining. People who can afford $80 or more/month and a multi-hundred dollar phone who pi$$ and moan about $20 are one step above people who steal apps on the human debris scale. I have self worth than to whine on a discussion forum about how much MyWi costs.

No where did I say the improvements justified the price. I was simply correcting yet another uninformed whiner who said there were no improvements. There are improvements. Fact.

Only ever want to connect one device to your iPhone at a time - TetherMe - $1.99
Want an Access point to support multiple connections - MyWi - $10 upgrade/$20 new license.

EDIT: Adding to what thelatinist says below, there are tethering solutions that range from $0.00 to $20.00 ($10.00 for existing customers).

Man up or shut up.

With your logic, everything will always be "Eye for an Eye" and the bickering back and forth will never stop. I'm just saying that while the whiners are annoying, you responding to them are basically feeding the troll. There is a point where I think someone needs to stop.

With that note, I will stop looking at your posts because clearly you will continue this crusade against MyWi haters.

Cheers

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA

See previous comment.

Variable signal output not a feature, huh? What kind of features do you add to the software you've written?

Dude... I didn't buy it. I never have because I didn't think it's worth paying that much for when there are free hacks.

Also, no. Bug fixes are not features. I wrote and maintain plugins for LockInfo and I do not charge for them at all. I sure as hell don't consider bug fixes "features". Fixing signal issues and reducing battery drain and supporting a newer version are all bug fixes. Those are reasons to keep selling at your current price so you can sell to a newer OS set. Not at all a reason for a price increase. I'm sure that these other tethering apps are a direct response to it being a huge rip off.

I'm not uninformed. I am a developer. I DO add features to my software. I do it for FREE. I don't rip people off. I think that the software is a rip-off. I have never paid for it and I never will. Get some background or ask for clarification before you get all snarky with me.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

MyWi has my vote. The ability to control wifi broadcast power is awesome, and really helps with battery life. The only thing it's missing is an SBSettings toggle.

AppelGek

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2010
USA
bought MyWi when it was $10, Jailbroke my 4 and wonder if i get it for free.. definitely not paying anymore than i did.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Dude... I didn't buy it. I never have because I didn't think it's worth paying that much for when there are free hacks.

Also, no. Bug fixes are not features. I wrote and maintain plugins for LockInfo and I do not charge for them at all. I sure as hell don't consider bug fixes "features". Fixing signal issues and reducing battery drain and supporting a newer version are all bug fixes. Those are reasons to keep selling at your current price so you can sell to a newer OS set. Not at all a reason for a price increase. I'm sure that these other tethering apps are a direct response to it being a huge rip off.

I'm not uninformed. I am a developer. I DO add features to my software. I do it for FREE. I don't rip people off. I think that the software is a rip-off. I have never paid for it and I never will. Get some background or ask for clarification before you get all snarky with me.
Dude, thanks for your opinion about how to sell software and your opinion on how to classify changes as bugfixes or features. I develop software, too, but I am not so arrogant to think the way I charge is the only way it should be done. You decide how you charge and what you consider bugfixes and what's a new feature. I guess RYP doesn't have the same freedom? If they don't follow your model then they are wrong?

It's comments like 'rip people off' that show just how uninformed you are. When were people forced to buy MyWi or the upgrade? The concept of 'don't like the price, don't buy the product' must be beyond some people's ability to comprehend.

And before illutionz jumps in (oh, that's right, he's ignoring me), I am not defending what RYP charges for MyWi. I couldn't care less what they charge. I'm defending their right to charge whatever they want to and let the market decide if it's a fair price. What's so unusual about that free market concept?

Ogrillion

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
People who can afford $80 or more/month and a multi-hundred dollar phone who pi$$ and moan about $20 are one step above people who steal apps on the human debris scale. I have self worth than to whine on a discussion forum about how much MyWi costs.

^

Why is it that people assume that just because someone has the money to purchase a 200$ phone and pay a cell phone fee that they must in fact have more money to piss away on over priced apps?

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Why is it that people assume that just because someone has the money to purchase a 200$ phone and pay a cell phone fee that they must in fact have more money to piss away on over priced apps?
You're right. Most people spend their last $10 on food and medicine.:rolleyes:

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008

Man up or shut up.

Thanks for the summary of the state of tethering.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008

It's how business works. Any entrepreneur knows the drill. It's called the "blink test"-- slowly raise your price until customers blink when you tell 'em. And yes, it invites competition at some point. In fact, I'd invite the whiny twerps on this thread who think it's outrageous that the author is charging $20 now to write their own competitor. Too much trouble? Then you're not blinking yet.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Dude, thanks for your opinion about how to sell software and your opinion on how to classify changes as bugfixes or features. I develop software, too, but I am not so arrogant to think the way I charge is the only way it should be done. You decide how you charge and what you consider bugfixes and what's a new feature. I guess RYP doesn't have the same freedom? If they don't follow your model then they are wrong?

It's comments like 'rip people off' that show just how uninformed you are. When were people forced to buy MyWi or the upgrade? The concept of 'don't like the price, don't buy the product' must be beyond some people's ability to comprehend.

And before illutionz jumps in (oh, that's right, he's ignoring me), I am not defending what RYP charges for MyWi. I couldn't care less what they charge. I'm defending their right to charge whatever they want to and let the market decide if it's a fair price. What's so unusual about that free market concept?

I never said it's my way or the high way. Those are just the reasons why I don't believe it's worth the price and price increase. Perhaps ripping people off was too strong, I'll give you that, but that's just semantics. I'm speaking with my wallet and that's why I haven't purchased MyWi. I'm glad there are other applications coming out to rival it. I'm definitely a fan of a free market and they do have the right to charge what they want. You just telling people "don't like the price, don't buy it" is just as much a complaint as someone saying they think that there has been no value added and that's why they aren't going to buy it.

If I was a new user and debating spending money on MyWi and saw that it's 5x the price of a competitor, I'd want to know what exactly they offer over the cheaper version.

Also, lets just face it. You were being quite arrogant. At least not about them charging for features, but look at my initial quote. I was just expressing my shock that people keep paying for it. After that I cheered on the fact that the free market has turned up some alternatives. Nothing terrible.

I'm ready to move back on topic now though...

Any news on the second cheap tethering option?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.