Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Correct...Default (non scaled mode). This is the only mode that works. I was hoping people have seen similar on Iris Pro as it appears via a search on internet that this is a common problem with 4k monitors as people moved to HSierra. Apple forums have tons of complaints, albeit no solution to problem yet

Erm, that's not what I asked. When you're running the other resolutions that are lagging, they're scaled, yes? In High-DPI or using the selector method in my screenshot? Because, as I stated before, that's High-DPI mode. If that's the mode you're using, that's normal behavior. You're pushing an image that's higher than what your Mac supports rendering @ 60Hz. To clear up any confusion, do me a favor; screenshot your desktop in the resolution you're having trouble with, right click that screenshot, and select "Get Info". What is the dimension of the screenshot?

Danno18

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2018
Yes, lagging problems are "only" when selecting any "scaled" selector option. And, I've run these scaled resolutions prior to HSierra with no problem. Others I have chatted with are also able to run these "scaled" resolutions on MBP and 4K monitors (pre-HSierra) with no issues. Apple's specs also clearly state that the version MBP/Configuration I have supports these scaled resolutions. So, do not believe this is normal behavior.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Correct...Default (non scaled mode). This is the only mode that works. I was hoping people have seen similar on Iris Pro as it appears via a search on internet that this is a common problem with 4k monitors as people moved to HSierra. Apple forums have tons of complaints, albeit no solution to problem yet

Erm, that's not what I asked. When you're running the other resolutions that are lagging, they're scaled, yes? In High-DPI or using the selector method in my screenshot? Because, as I stated before, that's High-DPI mode. If that's the mode you're using, that's normal behavior. You're pushing an image that's higher than what your Mac supports rendering @ 60Hz. To clear up any confusion, do me a favor; screenshot your desktop in the resolution you're having trouble with, right click that screenshot, and select "Get Info". What is the dimension of the screenshot?

Check this page, and post the screen capture here may reduce unnecessary confusion.
3840x1080 30bit.png

High Sierra now will show us the rendering resolution, and the UI Looks like resolution.

The terms "scaled" or "Hi-DPI" etc can be very confusing in this situation. Both scale up to scale down is scaled. But the problem is when rendering at higher resolution and then scale down may cause issue.

Also, macOS may shows different presentation on different setup. Some setup may see HiDPI, but some others may see nothing (means HiDPI) and only see "low resolution" for normal non-HiDPI resolution.

Last edited:

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Check this page, and post the screen capture here may reduce unnecessary confusion.
View attachment 774903

High Sierra now will show us the rendering resolution, and the UI Looks like resolution.

The terms "scaled" or "Hi-DPI" etc can be very confusing in this situation. Both scale up to scale down is scaled. But the problem is when rendering at higher resolution and then scale down may cause issue.

Also, macOS may shows different presentation on different setup. Some setup may see HiDPI, but some others may see nothing (means HiDPI) and only see "low resolution" for normal non-HiDPI resolution.

Thanks, that's exactly what I trying to get at earlier and clears up a lot of the confusion.

jdw13

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
Boston, Maine, Chile

leventozler

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
Today's webdriver update (387.10.10.15.15.108) seems to be buggy. My iMac 2013 crashed during update, and stuck in boot.

If this happens, reset PRAM, so MacOS defaults to its own driver, and you'll be able to boot. I tried removing&re-installing current and previous driver, but every time I tried using the webdriver, it stuck in boot. Next, disabled SIP, uninstalled webdriver, removed all kexts from /Library/GPUBundles, re-installed latest driver and it's working now.

jdw13

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
Boston, Maine, Chile
Using (same?) iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) 16 GB with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB I updated last night with no issues. Running High Sierra 10.13.6, it came right up after the install/boot and seems to be working normally and BOINC is using CUDA to calculate. Perhaps it helped me to quit all foreground apps before installing?

leventozler

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
Using (same?) iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) 16 GB with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB I updated last night with no issues. Running High Sierra 10.13.6, it came right up after the install/boot and seems to be working normally and BOINC is using CUDA to calculate. Perhaps it helped me to quit all foreground apps before installing?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) 32 GB w 775M, there are a couple of more reports at twitter and insanelymac

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...date-07092018/?do=findComment&comment=2632334

Nemphys

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2014
This has been driving me nuts right after upgrading from Sierra to High Sierra (and later to Mojave Beta). On The same external 4K monitor I have been using for the past 2 years, my early 2013 15" rMBP (GT650M) became unbearably sluggish.
That is until I read earlier on this thread about using Lilu + WhateverGreen (used to be NVidiaGraphicsFixup).
After downloading the latest release versions for both, copying the 2 kexts in /System/Library/Extensions (SIP disabled) and adding the "-wegbeta" boot flag through recovery (required by WhateverGreen since I am running Mojave), my MBP *is finally back to normal* on the external monitor!
It now feels exactly the same as on El Capitan/Sierra!

Last edited:

leventozler

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
Heads-up, 27 iMac (late 2013), works much worse with Mojave than the first couple versions of High Sierra. Extremely sluggish.

sulphur27

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
I was just wondering how the official release works. I'm gonna give it a try during the weekend maybe.

jddh

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2018
This has been driving me nuts right after upgrading from Sierra to High Sierra (and later to Mojave Beta). On The same external 4K monitor I have been using for the past 2 years, my early 2013 15" rMBP (GT650M) became unbearably sluggish.
That is until I read earlier on this thread about using Lilu + WhateverGreen (used to be NVidiaGraphicsFixup).
After downloading the latest release versions for both, copying the 2 kexts in /System/Library/Extensions (SIP disabled) and adding the "-wegbeta" boot flag through recovery (required by WhateverGreen since I am running Mojave), my MBP *is finally back to normal* on the external monitor!
It now feels exactly the same as on El Capitan/Sierra!

Do you need to be using Nvidia web drivers for this fix?

leventozler

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
Thanks for the tip jddh

Downloaded latest release zip files from

https://github.com/acidanthera/Lilu/releases
https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/releases

(both are 10.14 compatible, and don't require beta flag now), moved kext files to /System/Library/Extensions (/Library/Extensions did not work, and SIP was already off), and corrected permissions and ownerships:

Code:
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Lilu.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/WhateverGreen.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel  /System/Library/Extensions/Lilu.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel  /System/Library/Extensions/WhateverGreen.kext

make sure that the extensions are 'loaded.'

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 15.09.43.png

I can't believe the difference, what the hell Apple!? mojave was almost unusable without the web drivers, but now it's even faster than Sierra.

Last edited:
Reactions: keebarber

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
I'm using Lilu and WhateverGreen since beta 8 I thing and everything works great.
You don't need NVidia Web Driver, its even not released for Mojave yet.

sulphur27

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
I've installed Mojave this weekend for my with Lilu and Whatevergreen it far better but still not the same as it was no 10.12. The are some shutters. As for Nvidia drivers, I read somewhere that apparently they need to rewrite them for metal2 so it might take few weeks. I hope that they will solve the issue for good.

cocolasticot50

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2018
Thanks for the tutorial, it's working better; it's not great yet, but definitely an improvement :)

Thanks for the tip jddh

Downloaded latest release zip files from

https://github.com/acidanthera/Lilu/releases
https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/releases

(both are 10.14 compatible, and don't require beta flag now), moved kext files to /System/Library/Extensions (/Library/Extensions did not work, and SIP was already off), and corrected permissions and ownerships:

Code:
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Lilu.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/WhateverGreen.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel  /System/Library/Extensions/Lilu.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel  /System/Library/Extensions/WhateverGreen.kext

make sure that the extensions are 'loaded.'

View attachment 793413

I can't believe the difference, what the hell Apple!? mojave was almost unusable without the web drivers, but now it's even faster than Sierra.

lotlorien

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
I'm using Lilu and WhateverGreen since beta 8 I thing and everything works great.
You don't need NVidia Web Driver, its even not released for Mojave yet.

Hi

Could you give any update on this? 10.14.1 is out and I wonder if you still need Lilu and WhateverGreen to fix the lag? I am still on El Capitan, late maxed out rMBP 2013, GT 750M 2048 MB, and would like to upgrade to 10.14. Thanks for any advice.

eighteentee

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2018
United Kingdom
Yes, you still need those kexts. I think Apple is in fight with nVidia and I don't believe that it will ever change.

OK, I'm a bit of a n00b here, but I managed to get lilu and whatevergreen into the system/library folder no problem. The kexts show up in the software section of the System Profiler but they aren't 'loaded'. How does one force these to actually 'load'?

eighteentee

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2018
United Kingdom
You need to disable SIP as they aren't official drivers..

https://www.imore.com/how-turn-system-integrity-protection-macos

I disabled SIP and they still don't load. I can manually load them once at the desktop through Terminal but don't they need to be loaded at boot time? If I manually start them there is no difference in performance, hence why I wondered if they need to be loaded much earlier in the boot process...

I'm on a 2013 15in rMBP with nVidia 650M

A99

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
I disabled SIP and they still don't load. I can manually load them once at the desktop through Terminal but don't they need to be loaded at boot time? If I manually start them there is no difference in performance, hence why I wondered if they need to be loaded much earlier in the boot process...

I actually have the exact same problem.. tried to load them manually in terminal but didn't help either, it won't even load.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY

I actually have the exact same problem.. tried to load them manually in terminal but didn't help either, it won't even load.

Try rebuilding kextcache:
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

Reactions: A99

A99

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
Try rebuilding kextcache:
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

I tried it and got these messages

Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fc44090d8f0 [0x7fff863638f0]> { URL = "WhateverGreen.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.vit9696.WhateverGreen" }

Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fc43ed381c0 [0x7fff863638f0]> { URL = "Lilu.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.vit9696.Lilu" }

KernelCache ID: 7EB933413E17A011F8155EF72D677FA5

Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fc30f4150b0 [0x7fff863638f0]> { URL = "Lilu.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.vit9696.Lilu" }

Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fc311a48870 [0x7fff863638f0]> { URL = "WhateverGreen.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.vit9696.WhateverGreen" }

Any ideas?

Did you fix permissions?

What do you mean? How to fix them? I only deactivated SIP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.