Any news or info from stores about pre-order or launch day process?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shenan1982, Mar 26, 2015.

1. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

This is the first time in recent history Apple has done an announcement without giving immediate online access\next-day store availability to a laptop release, so I'm not sure how it'll work. Wondering if anyone has heard anything from stores regarding how the launch will go.

Ideally it'd be cool if they updated the online store a few days before so those not wanting to deal with the store mess can go online and order for delivery. At the very least, I hope they go live online for in-store pickup the night before so I can order and pay for it, then go just do in-store pick up.

Tho unfortunately the last few Apple product releases seem to have regressed in creating a positive customer experience. Seems Apple is more interested in the photos and videos on the news of packed Apple stores, which is annoying and chaotic for someone who knows what they want and just wants to go in and buy something.

Hopefully.... anyone heard anything?

2. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

They will open the online orders at midnight PDT on April 10th. Chances are you can select in-store pickup (base models only). I don't see what opening them a few days before would get you, since you would still have to wait for release. Which is kind of the whole point of a release date.

The stores will most probably get them on the 9th, for sale on the 10th.

If you don't want to deal with the store mess, just wait for a day or two and you're all set. It's not Apple who creates lines on launch day, it's the people who can't wait even a day or two after launch to get their new toy.

3. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I'll be checking online right at midnight on April 9th / 10th.

I really want one right away (I like being first) but I am willing to wait for the 1.3GHz version to be shipped to me.

4. PDFierro macrumors 68040

That's exactly why I want to be able to pre-order. I guess I'll just be buying the BTO online once it goes live on the 10th.

5. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

You don't see what opening pre-orders days before would get? Have you ever bought an Apple product? Ever? Seriously... When Apple launches an iPad or iPhone, they announce a pre-order date. Those who pre-order get them shipped a couple days earlier, and the delivery couriers are instructed to deliver them on release day. This gets them into customers hands on release day and relieves some load on the stores, which will be busy assisting other customers. I can't imagine you stand behind your comment that you don't get the point.

As for your second comment, no, the reason Apple Stores are a mess is because of how Apple handles their releases. In both the last 2 iPhone releases, Apple has done a poor job of communicating to stores what inventory is coming until it comes. Any supply chain manager will tell you they know exactly what they're getting and when at a corporate level. They have specific contracts with their manufacturing partners, so know EXACTLY what has come, what will be coming, and what has come. It's just a breakdown in the communication process between corporate and retail to not know what's showing up to the stores. Maybe they do it on purpose to create the frenzy they seem to love the media eating up.

6. newellj macrumors 601

I hear you, but I think Pasadena's more likely to be right. I could be wrong, but I don't see a new computer, even this particular new computer, drawing anything like the kind of crowds that a new iPhone draws. Hard to know, but seems unlikely?

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

If there`s a a crowd, there`s a crowd I will just come back another day. What`s important to me is testing my applications on one of the store`s demo machines, if all is good I will be adding another Mac to the "herd" :)

Q-6

8. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

I misread and thought you wanted to pre-order and pick up. No need to get all worked up either.

9. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Well not sure why I wouldn't be given the option. I would certainly hope that in the six weeks between them announcing the product, and the availability of the product that they'r have some sort of grasp as to which stores are getting inventory. The iPhone launch was 1000x bigger, and they had it fairly well designed... you could pre-order for in-store pickup on the release day, or you you could pre-order and have it delivered to your house on the release day.

Why do so many defend Apple's poor choices? I get it we're all fans, and we're all excited, but that doesn't mean blindly defend everything Apple does. Yeah, Apple is a different company than 10 years ago, but do you want it to turn into HP or Dell, or do you want to hold them to the higher standard we have come to expect from Apple?

10. newellj macrumors 601

I've lost track :) - are you wanting to preorder a CTO option or one of the two standard options? If you are willing - or actually prefer - to go to a store on the 10th, I don't think the lack of pre-orders will cause any issues. If you wanted it shipped to your home or wanted a CTO version, that wouldn't be true.

I am not defending Apple here, but I'm not feeling abused by the lack of preorders, either. And I'm not trying to give you grief, either. :)

11. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

I don't. I was just saying that pre-ordering doesn't give you anything if you select in-store pickup. You could do just that on launch day (order online and pick-up), which is what I understood from your first post (and I said I misread). Unless you want BTO, that is. Of course if you're having it delivered, that's a different story.

But then, you say they made a poor choice, but you have no idea why they made it. Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong. I'm not the one judging, here.

12. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Just want the stock base model. Hopefully they'll be able to be reserved for in-store pickup the day of. Just so much easier than going in and having them make you wait for someone to come sell it to you.

13. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Go to store money in hand, walk out with new MacBook, I seriously doubt it will be any more complex than this. Mac`s are getting ever more popular, equally they are nowhere as popular as iPhone or iPad.

Q-6

14. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Ummm, this isn't an iPad or an iPhone, its an expensive MacBook no one is going to be lining up days in advance to buy. There will be plenty everywhere the day its out. No need for pre-orders.

15. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I'm not afraid they're going to run out. I'm afraid if I have to go to the store I'm going to get trampled by the crazy trash that's pushing and shoving to get a glimpse of the stupid Apple Watch, which Apple decided to idiotically release (in store demos and try ons) on the new macbook :-(

I don't fear them running out. I fear getting trampled by Watch-Trash. LOL

16. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

I'd rather pick up myself. I can't wait all day at home for a package.

17. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I have mine shipped to my work (even though I'm paying for it).

I can't wait too long at the Apple Store. :)

Actually, I consider it a waste of time to drive to a mall with an Apple Store. I'm tempted though because I hate the way a BTO version arrives later than just getting one at the Apple Store. I want mine when everybof gets theirs or earlier.

18. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

I have to play for a vocalists voice lesson Friday's and possibly other things so I am unable to collect. Friday afternoon I'll make a trip up north and there is a store so I'll just pick up then

19. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I don't picture there being that many people waiting in line for the new Apple Watch. I almost think I should sell my APPL shares before April 10th.

20. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I think it's going to be a big day, but a lot will be just hype. I actually think the Apple Watch will sell well in its first iteration, but then quickly fall off. The consumer who wants a nice watch isn't the consumer that wants to be replacing their $1500 watch every year. Sure there will be some. I replace my laptop ($1500) and my phone ($950) every year, but that's not the norm in the industry.

I wouldn't go as far as selling your stock, I think Apple's got a strong outlook for 2015, and I'm excited about the Macbook.

21. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

You're joking right? If not, I'll buy your shares for $10 each. Getting in to an Apple store will be hell on the 10th. There will be massive lines just to look at and try on the watch.

22. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I picture the Apple Watch as being some what of a let down. Certainly won't sell the shares for $10, though.

23. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Why does it still say coming soon and not saying available april 10th. Any why wouldn't they just take orders now..

24. newellj macrumors 601

Didn't you just ask this question in another thread? :rolleyes:

25. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Yes, and nobody answered. The discussion was relevant to the same question , think before you post.