Any non-unibody users out there ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by titatom, Mar 19, 2011.

1. titatom macrumors regular

Hi there !

I was wondering if there was a lot of non-unibody MBP users out there (still).

If the awnser is yes, do you feel you need to update or is your computer still meeting your needs ? When you will update are you going to change your setup dramatically or will you go for a MPB again ? Are you going to wait for the next refresh or buy a computer from the present lineup ?

I have a early 2008 MPB and will be updating in 2011 as I will not have access to my school's editing room anymore and will need a machine capable of handling Final Cut Pro with more ease. Thinking iMac + 11" MBA for mobile needs. Though I love MBP's...

When the time comes I will leave my beloved non-unibody MPB behind (or who knows, there might be a good use for it). It is a wonderful machine and even if she's geting old she still is very reliable !

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have a 17" Matte 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor - Santa Rosa from 2007
    Upgraded the HDD to a 500GB Scorpio Blue and 6GB RAM

I am considering upgrading to the 2011 MBP, but haven't decided yet

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes, I have a MBP 2,2 from early 2007 and I still use it daily at the office. It meets my needs and I feel no reason to upgrade to a newer one right now. Last fall I upgraded the RAM to 3GB (max, pre Santa Rosa) and installed a 500GB HDD.

I've never had any problem at all with this machine, not one. It's been a real trooper and in fact it was my first ever Mac.

But when the day comes for a new laptop, I will likely get another MBP 15", just like this one.

I tend to get models of computers at the end of their product cycle, just before the new ones come out. I feel like by that time, for the specific model, any major bugs they had from the first model release should have been worked out. For instance, I bought my first iMac at the end of the C2D cycle, before the i-core chips were introduced. Then my next iMac (just bought 2 months ago) is on it's way out as the Sandy Bridge CPU's are expected to be added to the cycle this summer.

4. advan031 macrumors 6502

I finally upgraded my early 2008 mbp this week:) quad core i7 convinced me.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Tempting... very tempting

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I have an Early 2008 15" MBP and have zero interest or motivation to buy a new one at this time. This does everything I need extremely well and there's nothing that the new models offer that tempt me to upgrade.

7. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

I have the 17" 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB, late 2007 I believe. (Is there a way to confirm this?)

To be fair I don't use mine for any intensive purposes. I've upgraded to 10.6.6, but that's all I have done.

My previous computer was the 17" PowerBook.

For what I use mines for I'm more than happy with the way it handles everything, and I won't be upgrading until that's no longer the case. I upgraded to my current computer when my previous machine became incompatible with certain things.

When I do upgrade, I will again go for the 17".

8. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

I had an early 2008 15" antiglare 2.4 GHz C2D. I upgraded RAM to 4 GB a few months after buying it, then I upgraded to a 500 GB WD Scorpio Black a few months ago.

I just upgraded to an early 2011 15" 2.0 GHz i7 last week. Good thing I did too, my old MBP's logic board gave out after transferring my data.

9. HBOC macrumors 68020

I only upgraded because mine kept having issues and Apple replaced it for me. TBH, if it didn't have any problems, I would still be using it probably until it didn't work anymore.

10. falsecathedrals macrumors member

I have a 2007 2.2 MBP from the santa rosa update, and I just bought a new MBP today. My computer doesn't have enough ram and I ran out of hard drive space a long time ago( stock verision only came with 120GB). I could have upgraded from 2 to 4 gigs ram and replaced the hard drive, but I am a bit worried the screen may go soon. I am not gentle with my laptops and I noticed it has started to flash when I carry it around with the screen open. I'm always surprised about how well macs hold up to abuse. It probably would have been fine for another year or two with an upgrade, but I am in the camp of replacing before it fails.

11. Hoy its Johnny macrumors newbie

I'm on a late 2006 black Macbook with a 2hz C2D, 2Gb a ram and a 640gb Scorpion black hd. I'm trying to decide between a macbook air or a macbook pro 13in or 15in. The macbook air screen size and resolution is the only thing that attracts me to it, since I'm a CS major and more screen room the better.

12. ozred macrumors 6502

1) How ironic, I have one just like this, the only difference is I chose the WD Scorpio Black.

Although it only sees part time use now, it's still one of my favorite Macs.

The only reason I'm always getting the latest is due to the resource intensive work I do. I need all the speed & graphics power available.

Whenever I get a Mac as good as this 17" Santa Rosa, I always hang onto them. They're worth more to me than reselling them.

2) Mines great so far.

Cheers :)

13. Jmouse macrumors 6502

i jump from pb G4 to unibody. and im loving it.

14. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

I'm currently using a 2006 Macbook Pro 1,2. 17", 2.16ghz Core Duo, 1gb ram, 120gb hdd. I upgraded to 2gb ram and a 320gb hdd through the years. This was my first Mac, and it has been the most reliable computer I have ever owned. It'll be 5 this year!
    I love it to death, but I'm heavily eyeing a new quad core matte screen 17".

15. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I have a unibody MB (2.4GHz C2D with 4GB RAM) from early 2009 and I just ran into the first issues I've had with the computer not being powerful enough. It can't open image files totaling more than 4GB at one time ... surprise :(

So, I think I'm going to upgrade to 8GB of RAM, but otherwise it's been quite good. I actually expected it to be worse, I mean the battery has been cycled more then 600 times and it still has a capacity of 4000 mAh (4400 mAh new).

Can't really complain and probably won't upgrade for another year or two ... and I'll give the old one to extended family member.

16. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Typing from the first Intel mbp ever released in 2006...

The last revision though was the first to really impress me since then so I pulled the trigger on a 17'' 2.3 i7, which is on its way.

Though I got to say that this old beast is still rocking!

17. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I miss my 15''
    It was the 08 model 2.66 ghz 4gb ram and 500 gb HD anti glare
    thing was perfect flawless. Should not have sold it :(

18. gngan, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I have a late 2007 white MB (2.2GHz, 2Gig ram and 500HDD). It still runs good but the battery is swollen and Apple is not willing to replace it. I will be getting a MBP 13'' when Lion is release.

When i swap out the HDD; it starts up a lot slower than the original HDD. Anyone knows why?

19. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I have a 2008 2.4ghz.

The screen LED backlight is dying and I have the 8600m problem which means any day could be the computer's last. It also runs very hot and loud but very conveniently keeps me alert by shocking me every half hour or so.

I'd like a one of the new quads but the issues are holding me back for now, just seeing how it goes.

20. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

I just sold my early 08 2.6ghz 8600gt 512mb, 4gb and upgraded to the 09 2.66ghz 9600gt 512mb, 4gb for the same price. I have to say not that much difference, but the unibody looks better when sitting on my desk. :)

21. grayh0und macrumors newbie

I finally upgraded too. Have an early 2008 MBP, and updated to a 2011 one. Its an amazing update :D

22. titatom thread starter macrumors regular

It seems that the general consensus is that these are great computers and still rocking it :D

Maybe I'll upgrade my RAM and HDD as some of you did...it'll give my MBP some kind of youth and it'll seem a lot faster to me :p
    That way maybe I'll be able to controle my trigger happy credit card until 2012 hoping for a whole new design in the :apple: computer line hehehe
    Only problem is to see how much I can get out of the old lady on ressource intensive apps until then...
    The only problem I have is the battery : it cycled 538 times and get no more than 20 minutes when it's not plugged in...I use it at home and school so I manage but I reminisce on the days I had 2 hours...

A new question :

Have any of you over-clocked your non-unibody MBP's ? Are both the CPU and GPU over-clockable ?

I haven't searched the forums yet, but I'll be browsing while I wait for your awnsers :cool:

When the time comes for change, I'll probably give my current comp to the local community center, someone will definitively have a use for it if I don't :)

PS: Congrats to those that just updated, everyone seems to be really loving the update here ont he forums ! Looking to forward to joining you !

23. grayh0und macrumors newbie

I don't think you can overclock mac's. I'd say upgrade your ram to 4 or 6GB, and maybe get an ssd? It'll be as good as new.

24. titatom thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

How much did you sell it for might I ask ? Same price as you bought it ? After 3 years ?

25. mrmister macrumors regular

Get an SSD. You'll feel like you have a new computer.