Any O2 news?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shrewsburywolf, Sep 24, 2007.

1. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

Hi there,

Has anybody heard any news about changes to O2's terms and conditions relating to their 'upgrade' policy?

I wanted to join O2 now get a Nokia on an 18 month contract, and then switch the contract to an iPhone when it comes out, but I have had conflicting views from various O2 representatives, one told me to wait til monday as there may be changes to t&c's in relation to this. Has anyone heard any news yet? I have looked all over and can't seem to find anything yet.

2. Spanners macrumors member

Oh boy...

Yeah I've heard conflicting stories.

I'm on O2 at the moment and it states in my T&C's that I can "upgrade" my tariff once per month. So as I am currently paying £25 I would assume an iPhone Tariff will be an "upgrade" therefore if they try and change T&C's before launch there will be hell to pay!!

(I currently have a US unlocked iPhone - which works great on my current O2 sim/tariff)

3. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

I heard that users that got an Upgrade BEFORE the iphone was anoucned can just get one and switch plans. While if you just got an upgrade your going to have to pay £270 to get an iphone.

4. shrewsburywolf thread starter macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

Do you mean £270 on top of the £269 or are just taking the pi**? I am aware that O2 will never subsidise the iphone.

I am currently a vodafone customer, but my contract has just run out, and I wondered if it would be best to wait til November 9th or just take out a contract on O2 now and just switch it when I have the money for the iPhone, plus I will have a phone that I can take out if I go out on the town and not have to worry about losing/breaking/getting the iphone nicked, which is inevitable when I am drunk!!

5. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Yes, 02 seem to have anticipated that some people might try to sign up to a normal contract a few weeks before the iPhone is available and obtain a free high end phone (eg Nokia N95) which they can then sell to finance a 'free' iPhone and switch to an iPhone plan.

Safest bet would be to wait until November, and get yourself a PAYG sim card for your existing phone to keep you going in the meantime.

6. Pointer macrumors regular

Just had a reply to the email that I sent to Matthew Key (O2 CEO) at the weekend, I will copy the email I sent to him and his reply:

The email Matthew Key sent me was CC'd to Mark Stevenson who works in the Marketing Dept at O2, when he replies in more detail I will post here again.

7. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

So, I called O2, as soon i said i wanted to know about the iphone they told me to go to o2s website (I guess they are getting a lot of calls) Then i said the information wasn't very clear about existing costumers. The person told me that they are still working on how its going to work for existing costumers and that it will be on the o2 website within a week.

8. Pointer macrumors regular

Confirmation from Mark Stevenson of O2 Marketing Dept that existing O2 Customers will be able to transfer to an iPhone contract without paying a penalty.

Great news!

9. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

YYYYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSS, Thanks for sending that e-mai. :):):):)

10. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Excellent news except for those (I'm not one of them) who devised a cunning plan to sign up early, get a free N95 (or similar) to sell in order to finance their iPhone, and then switch to the iPhone contract on 9.11.07.

Perhaps o2 are quite shrewd after all!

11. Spanners macrumors member

Just spoken to O2 customer services about getting a data bolt on for my tariff and was laughed at and told
    O2 are supposed to be releasing new tariffs or updating them with

12. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

All i know is that instead of my n95 using 3g like it always has all im getting is EDGE and its sloooooooow as hell.

13. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

From 1st October all O2 users will get free unlimited data plans!

14. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

its not going to be for free.

15. shrewsburywolf thread starter macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

More than likely it will be on £35+ tariffs

16. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I don't like the sound of that.

17. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Not a hope in hell!

18. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

You going to have to pay around £10.

19. Applemacmonkey macrumors newbie

It's £7.50 for 'unlimited' data. Available from the 1st October as a bolt on.

Unlimited being subject to fair use - clearly.

20. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

Moving to 02 from Three

I'm currently a Three customer, and have never been happy with their coverage, or been bothered about 3g speeds since my phone has a tiny screen.

So for whatever reasons, I'm going to get an iPhone.

I know that when transferring between networks (after your contract has ended), you can sometimes end up paying twice for one month as they tend to overlap. This time around I'm going to try my best to avoid that.

I'm currently being sent a free 02 simcard which I hope will work in my Nokia 6280 that Three gave me... if not, I'll work something out, perhaps I will just keep using my Three Sim until it stops working a month later (you ahve to give 30 days notice I believe). I've got my PAC code from Three and when my simcard arrives I'm going to transfer over to 02 and do Pay as you go until the 9th Nov (pay nothing). Hopefully then my Three contract will have ended, and I will be able to transfer smoothly over to 02's iPhone contracts immediately without wasting any money just by going through the usual iTunes arrangement.

I hope that this works out for me, I hate all the confusion that happens when you move service providers.

Anyone think I will come across any problems doing it this way?

21. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Don't forget that PAC Codes only last 30 days. You can always get another one though.

22. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

Thank you for your advice. I hope that the SIM card will arrive soon, maybe in a couple of days. I will transfer over immediately, but still use my THREE sim card until it stops working one month later.

I will probably have a period of a week either with the wrong number, or with no number at all, but this is better than paying twice for one months line rental. On the other hand, it might work out perfectly!

The last thing I want is to buy the iPhone and have to admire it for 30 days before I get to use it!

23. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I posted this on another very similar thread from the iPhone launch in the UK:

Now I read that as ALL O2 customers get free data packages, don't you?

24. shrewsburywolf thread starter macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

Nah I read that as, for all customers willing to pay.

I don't think they will give free unlimited data plans to customers on lower end contracts.

25. sananda macrumors 68020

apparently it's going to be £12 a month.