Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abandapart82

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Decided to get this for my wife and I's new iPhone 5. The deductible doesn't seem too bad but I wonder how long they'd take to ship me a new phone if I lose mine. Or if they'd let me just buy a new phone from apple at the subsidized price.

NoCleverSNForMe

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Why not just get AppleCare+?

Because AppleCare doesn't cover lost or stolen phones. I had AppleCare plus on my iPhone 4S, and it was stolen (from my hotel room - crappy!). AppleCare did nothing for me.

That's why you get insurance - because it covers EVERYTHING. I'd rather pay $199 to get another device than to be told that there's nothing they can do for me.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Its not something I cant afford to replace (it would be very hard for me to pay $650 for another iPhone 5) therefore I dont get insurance on it. Thats just opinion - I certainly could be corrected.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Because AppleCare doesn't cover lost or stolen phones. I had AppleCare plus on my iPhone 4S, and it was stolen (from my hotel room - crappy!). AppleCare did nothing for me.

That's why you get insurance - because it covers EVERYTHING. I'd rather pay $199 to get another device than to be told that there's nothing they can do for me.

Insurance isn't needed if you're smart about taking care of your iPhone like not leaving it in a hotel room or a car (as with all valuables), which you can control. AC+ at least covers accidental damage, which you can't control.

NoCleverSNForMe

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Its not something I cant afford to replace (it would be very hard for me to pay $650 for another iPhone 5) therefore I dont get insurance on it. Thats just opinion - I certainly could be corrected.

Yeah :) that's what I was trying to say. My phone was stolen so I had to pay another $650 to get another 4S. Thanks to my not getting insurance and going AC+, I paid 650 twice plus $99 AppleCare on the first device.

You never think it would happen to you until it does. Those thieves also took my wallet, my MacBook air, and my suitcase with all of my clothes. I was staying at a four-star hotel for work. Ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm not going to derail the thread. I just wanted to tell the OP why I am now a fan of insurance. I never was until that event.

----------

Insurance isn't needed if you're smart about taking care of your iPhone like not leaving it in a hotel room or a car (as with all valuables), which you can control. AC+ at least covers accidental damage, which you can't control.

Yeah, just saying - there are some things you can't control. I'll leave it at that :) Agree to disagree!

Abandapart82

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
I was thinking the same thing. Stuff happens, you might leave your phone in a bar, restaurant and even if you have find my iPhone enable if somebody wants to steal it it's gone. Would much rather pay the $199

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I was thinking the same thing. Stuff happens, you might leave your phone in a bar, restaurant and even if you have find my iPhone enable if somebody wants to steal it it's gone. Would much rather pay the $199

You're not paying $199, you're paying $366.76 over 2 years ($6.99x24+$199). How about home owners/renters insurance?

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I can attest to the value of AT&T's insurance as I recently had to file a claim. To those that say 'just be careful' you're being short sighted and ignorant. Unexpected **** happens. Anyways, my 4s was stolen out if my hotel room while I was down the hall for less than 10 minutes.

I simply went to the nearest AT&T store where they filed my claim for me and I had the replacement two days later. It was the 32gb version and would have been $750 if i had had to replace it on my own.

The $7 monthly fee for the insurance is nominal, and the $200 deductible is added to your account when you make a claim, so it doesn't need to be paid immediately. In fact, I was able to pay it off over three months by calling AT&T and asking for additional time. They gladly accommodated me.

I have the insurance now on my iPhone 5. You can only have two claims a year, so I'll need to keep that in mind should I need it again.

The insurance also covers water damage which AppleCare doesn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.