Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
RGB stripe has always been preferred as PenTile relies on human psychophysics to work properly.
mmmh, so you say Pentile relies on human eyes/brain as opposed to ... RGB that ... wouldn't work as well with humans ... but is preferred?
okay

Most people don't seem to understand a 400 PPI OLED panel is needed to match the sharpness of a 300 PPI LCD panel. The roadmap above should help explain why a PPI increase is only necessary with OLED.
Again, OLED doesn't necessarily mean Pentile. And LCD doesn't necessarily mean RGB.
Screens shouldn't be designated with OLED or LCD when talking about resolution and sharpness: here the discussion is on Pentile vs RGB.
And yes, that was my point. And I don't see how this roadmap does explain why. But my post down the link does.

On this roadmap (btw, how reliable is IHS Markit?), I'd be interested to hear the reason of the switch from 458 to 491 ppi on the only Max model supposed to occur in 2019.
Sill @3x with a larger resolution, everything would be displayed smaller for example (equivalent to the 163/326 ppi screens), and I don't think that'd be a good idea out of differentiating more from the 6.1" Xr (but instead, the current point resolution could maybe be scaled -@3x up- or -@4x down- to the screen. Not sure that'd give a real huge benefit though)

Last edited:

wakinghour

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2012
The iPhone XR does not have the same resolution as the iPhone 8, it has the same pixel density. It has roughly half a million more pixels.

iPhone 8 is 1334 x 750

iPhone XR is 1792 x 828

1080p is 1920 x 1080

On paper it’s inferior to a 400 ppi phone with 326 ppi. But in the real world, having a Samsung S9, iPhone XS, and iPhone XR side by side I was not able to discern a difference at normal viewing distance. I went in thinking I would see the XR wasn’t sharp enough, but it turned out to be difficult to discern.

Since I don’t feel the need to bring the phone up close, it ends up looking sharper in general than previous iPhones, and possibly equivalent to the 8+.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBGoode

appleoverload

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2018
The iPhone XR does not have the same resolution as the iPhone 8, it has the same pixel density. It has roughly half a million more pixels.

iPhone 8 is 1134 x 750

iPhone XR is 1792 x 828

1080p is 1920 x 1080

On paper it’s inferior to a 400 ppi phone with 326 ppi. But in the real world, having a Samsung S9, iPhone XS, and iPhone XR side by side I was not able to discern a difference at normal viewing distance. I went in thinking I would see the XR wasn’t sharp enough, but it turned out to be difficult to discern.

Since I don’t feel the need to bring the phone up close, it ends up looking sharper in general than previous iPhones, and possibly equivalent to the 8+.

iphone 8 1334X750 but i'm guessin you just entered it wrong when typing up your post

Reactions: wakinghour
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.