Any one here get a regular 8

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by christom1174, Sep 24, 2017.

1. christom1174 macrumors newbie

it seems most people on here got the plus. Did any of you just get the regular 8 ?

2. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

I did but now part of my brain keeps whispering “you should have tried the plus”

3. DynamicSausage macrumors 6502

DynamicSausage

In the plus model you're getting the dual camera with OIS and portrait mode, more RAM, more screen estate, and all day battery. I can see why it may be a bit big for some people, especially with small hands, but you're getting so much more phone for what is, in perspective, a quite small price increase.

4. the caveman macrumors 6502

Are you sure about RAM? I thought both models have 3 gb of it.

5. christom1174 thread starter macrumors newbie

i haven't gotten mine yet I will pick it up next week. I was considering the regular 8 64 because of the price but maybe I should consider the 8 plus 64

6. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I had this exact feeling when getting the regular red 7!

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

According to Macrumors, the 4.7 iPhone 8 has 2 GB and 5.5 iPhone 8 has 3 GB.

"There's 2GB of RAM in the 4.7-inch iPhone 8 and 3GB of RAM in the 5.5-inch iPhone 8 Plus. The iPhone 8 Plus has more RAM to support the dual-lens camera and the Portrait Mode features."

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-8/

8. IamDave macrumors regular

IamDave

I went for the 8 from a 6 plus and so far loving being back on a smaller device. The screen difference hasn’t really bothered me the one thing that might though is battery life. I often got through a whole day even on my 6 plus without charging (only with 4-5 hours usage though). I haven’t had the chance to fully test the battery on the 8 but I am noticing faster battery drain over my 6 plus.

The telephoto camera would’ve been nice but in reality I wouldn’t make much use of it.

9. tensiondeadache macrumors regular

I got the 64 GB grey iPhone 8, it's waiting at the UPS Access Point for me when I wake up. I was quoted a shipping window of 9-29/10-5 and they delivered it on the 22nd. I guess that's a good indicator I got the least sought after model.

10. drygioni macrumors member

I got a 256GB 8 in grey. Upgrading from a 6, I think it's brilliant. There's no way I'd go for a plus, they're just too big for me. I've played around with friends Galaxy S8s and while they're really nice phones, those too are just that bit large. I'd have to sew extra pockets into my clothes to take phones that big on a night out.

The only slight regret I have is how overpriced phones in general are getting, especially the cost of the 256GB of storage. Still, it's supposed to last me 3 years, so I'm not that bothered.

11. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I went from a 7+ to an 8 space gray 256. I wanted a smaller phone to handle with one hand. So far so good

12. Andreas222 macrumors newbie

Only one camera has OIS on the plus. X has it on both.

13. DynamicSausage macrumors 6502

DynamicSausage

I know. Actually though I didn't realise that OIS was on the standard phone now too.

14. Bethanie21 macrumors regular

Bethanie21

I got a regular 8. I’m petite with small hands, so the Plus is way too big for me. My mum has a Plus, so I’ve got a feel for the size and no way would it be practical for me. Would’ve liked the double camera and portrait mode, but to be honest I don’t think I’d use it that much, so would be a waste.

15. ApplePersonFreak macrumors 6502a

Yep, upgraded from 7 to 8. Love the size of it and it’s perfect for my small hands.

16. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

17. gadget123 macrumors 68020

18. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

I am so torn. Used 6S+ for years. Have 7 now until I make a decision. Plus definitely has advantages/disadvantages.. love the screen & battery life.. don’t love having to accommodate for bigger size.. pockets, where to put (not in wife’s purse) at a bar or nice dinner..

As I type this I’m noticing I do the same pinky rest with the non-Plus.

Both great. I don’t care about second lens in Plus but love the Plus screen..need to get to store again to compare screens.

19. Helmsley macrumors regular

Helmsley

Those of you that have the 8; would say it’s a good upgrade from a 6s?

I really can’t decide what do to :confused:

20. apolloa macrumors G4

The iPhone 7 had OIS too :)

I’m split on sizes, I’ve only had the smaller iPhones, I tried the 7 but didn’t like the camera as much as my 6S, I’ve looked and played with the Plus loads, it’s screen is particularly noticeably better in my eyes, but I like one handed use.
    So for me I’ll look at the X when it’s out, I have had the Note 5 before and actually changed to the 6S because of its size, so it really should tell me all I need to know about phablets..

Apple and Sony are the only ones making decent spec small phones these days.

Unfortunately Marques Brownlee stated the iPhone X was still a two handed device and he has massive hands. But I’ll need to test that out.

21. miragebg macrumors 6502a

I am on the same dilemma...

22. dmk1974 macrumors 68020

dmk1974

If they would have just put that dual camera from the Plus on the "regular" sized 7 or 8, it would really be the perfect phone for me.

23. pika2000 macrumors 601

This. And the extra RAM as well. I am worried that the discrepancy between the plus and non-plus models are getting more and more, especially with Apple putting in more features using the dual camera like portrait and lighting studio. The supposedly "flagship" non-plus iPhone doesn't feel flagship anymore.

I guess I have to wait for 2018 for the X to be trickled down as a normal iPhone.

24. thatJohann macrumors 65816

thatJohann

The regular iPhone 8 camera has OIS now? If so, that’s awesome.

25. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Not sure smaller 8 needs the extra RAM with smaller screen. Have seen Geeknench scores with 8 beating 8+.