Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
I understand what you're saying. I might do it anyway. $200 off on each of two new iPhones is appealing and the commitment for that is only 3 months. When the two of us don't use more than 2GB/month total you can see that subpar LTE speeds won't affect us much. If it's unbearable after 90 days, we'll look elsewhere.

Have you noticed the switching between LTE and Xfinity hotspots? Where are you?
I've been very happy so far switching from AT&T. My bill will probably be cut in half, and I haven't noticed any difference in the voice quality or data use. However, I know this won't be the case for everyone, but since my wife and I do not stream video or audio and hardly use any data per month Xfinity seems like it is going to be a good option for us.

schoff0310

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2009
Southeast Florida
I was looking at this yesterday. We use very little cellular data.

How does the cellular/wifi aspect actually work? Can you disregard the Xfinity wifi hotspots completely and rely on cellular?
You want to use hotspots to keep cellular usage down. Of course ignoring them will force you to use more data.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I've seen a few people compare this with att but anybody switch from tmo to this? Seems like overall it's decent but not great, and I really can't believe they only just started with wifi calling. Doesn't seem like it's worth it, or am I misreading things?

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
If you are switching for the sole purpose of saving money, I would highly recommend T-Mobile. I am an average user when it comes to total data usage, but expect high speeds when using. T-Mobile has matched my previous experience with AT&T 95%, and for those times when it hasn't, it's because I was leaving the metropolitan area, and wouldn't expect to have great coverage anyway.

The low bill is extremely nice. I pay in the $30's, for 2.5GB LTE speed, unlimited 2G. That's a family plan split between 3 people.

I would only try Xfinity if Verizon coverage is required, but I would never recommend them because of the company. Fairly certain Comcast is literally the lowest rated company for customer experience (quick research will show).

Last edited:

ramblapacifica

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2010
seattle
as a comcast (Xfinity) customer for TV and internet, i am frequently confronted with loss of service, sometimes for an hour, sometimes several hours. 5 or 6 times a year at the very least. when i check "down detector" (over my AT&T cell connection on my phone) what i see is widespread comcast outages all over the US and a lot of angry comments. i can't imagine giving all my access points to xfinity. so while their offer sounds good, i know what the reality is.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
as a comcast (Xfinity) customer for TV and internet, i am frequently confronted with loss of service, sometimes for an hour, sometimes several hours. 5 or 6 times a year at the very least. when i check "down detector" (over my AT&T cell connection on my phone) what i see is widespread comcast outages all over the US and a lot of angry comments. i can't imagine giving all my access points to xfinity. so while their offer sounds good, i know what the reality is.

It's different by location. My Comcast internet has been fast and solid for many years. My router is a LOT more unreliable than the service to which it's connected and I'd have to say that the router isn't really that bad.

I went ahead and switched us to Xfinity Mobile two weeks ago. The number porting took about an hour and we've had no issues. Speed? I don't know. I get my emails, browse and stream music with no issues. Moved over from StraightTalk (AT&T).

Downdetector.com comments regarding Comcast seem to be virtually all about internet and TV.

schoff0310

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2009
Southeast Florida
It's different by location. My Comcast internet has been fast and solid for many years. My router is a LOT more unreliable than the service to which it's connected and I'd have to say that the router isn't really that bad.

I went ahead and switched us to Xfinity Mobile two weeks ago. The number porting took about an hour and we've had no issues. Speed? I don't know. I get my emails, browse and stream music with no issues. Moved over from StraightTalk (AT&T).

Downdetector.com comments regarding Comcast seem to be virtually all about internet and TV.
Agree no problems at all.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
I haven't noticed any difference from AT&T and actually have better coverage in a lot of locations in my area with Xfinity Mobile. My bill went from $82.00 to $14.50 for two lines of service, I can't complain!

chrismichael83

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
I switched from Tmobile to Infinity mobile to try and save a little more money. When I do some speedtest's my latency has it pinging at 110ms and got back 46.8mbps. and 4.81 up. I havent notice any real issues with speed. Apps seem to download normal, calls are great, no drop. Obviously issues once you get inside a deep concrete building or with brick but thats mostly with all carriers. They did just activate wifi calling. Wanted to try the X out but didnt feel like I needed to pay T-mobile $279 down to do so. Xfinity was just the normal tax of the phone and one month installment. My bill is $86.00 for unlimited and X on installment which is $41. I may switch to the S9 but otherwise have been for the most party pretty happy with the service. Again it does use Verizon's towers when your not connected to Wifi.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
My first month is over and the mystery of how much my charges will be is over.

Baltimore City levies a $4/month tax on all cellphones! I never saw it on a StraightTalk invoice. Per phone I was paying $42.50 plus taxes and fees of $3.88.

We used between 1 and 2 GB...so...our bill was for $24 and taxes, fees etc of $13.26! It's like paying 55% tax. I'll be in touch with my city council rep.

Here's the summary:
IMG_3773.png

Still saved over $55.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
My first month is over and the mystery of how much my charges will be is over.

Baltimore City levies a $4/month tax on all cellphones! I never saw it on a StraightTalk invoice. Per phone I was paying $42.50 plus taxes and fees of $3.88.

We used between 1 and 2 GB...so...our bill was for $24 and taxes, fees etc of $13.26! It's like paying 55% tax. I'll be in touch with my city council rep.

Here's the summary:
View attachment 753903

Still saved over $55.
I wouldn't be happy about that either. That is what I classify as excessive.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
My four month savings after switching from StraightTalk to Xfinity Mobile, as an Xfinity TV and Internet customer, has been about $232 for our two iPhones. In four months we've only used (been charged for) 5GB of data total. The savings would be $32 higher if not for the $4/mo levy on cellphones in Baltimore City.

Also, the iPhones with XM SIMs have worked flawlessly in the UK. No more switching SIMs when traveling!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Very interesting thread.

The big (sales) proposition for Xfinity for those that already have Xfinity broadband is "free talk & text- just pay for broadband" (at $12 per GB). So my question to those of you using it already: if you opt to only use data when in wifi zones (in other words, you are playing cellular miser and trying to use a cell phone only as a cell phone + texting device), do you get free service? Or is there a $12 minimum (for 1GB) bill baked in there even if you strive to use data only in wifi zones?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The big (sales) proposition for Xfinity for those that already have Xfinity broadband is "free talk & text- just pay for broadband" (at $12 per GB). So my question to those of you using it already: if you opt to only use data when in wifi zones (in other words, you are playing cellular miser and trying to use a cell phone only as a cell phone + texting device), do you get free service? Or is there a $12 minimum (for 1GB) bill baked in there even if you strive to use data only in wifi zones?

I'm not sure you'll find anyone who wants to test all their iPhones on Xfinity Mobile for a month with cellular data "OFF"...but I'd think it would work and there's no "baked in" $12 minimum.

I think that if you dig through the info at the website you'll see that each account is given 100MB of free data per month. I don't know if that's part of the first GB or if the first GB starts after the 100MB.

The data charges are for all phones on the account. Two phones using 501MB each would be a 2GB charge.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Very interesting thread.

Yes, this could possibly work if you could restrict the data to the free 100MB (except for your local tax per line). There is a lot of free Xfinity wi-fi in businesses that I frequent and since my family hardly uses any mobile data when out and about the service has worked well for us. My bill has been under $15.00 each month for the three months since I switched our three lines to Xfinity Mobile from AT&T. My service is better and I'm saving about $90.00 a month.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If you are switching for the sole purpose of saving money, I would highly recommend T-Mobile. I am an average user when it comes to total data usage, but expect high speeds when using. T-Mobile has matched my previous experience with AT&T 95%, and for those times when it hasn't, it's because I was leaving the metropolitan area, and wouldn't expect to have great coverage anyway.

The low bill is extremely nice. I pay in the $30's, for 2.5GB LTE speed, unlimited 2G. That's a family plan split between 3 people.

I would only try Xfinity if Verizon coverage is required, but I would never recommend them because of the company. Fairly certain Comcast is literally the lowest rated company for customer experience (quick research will show).

You can also look into AT&T prepaid. I pay $45 (after tax and everything) for 8 GB of LTE (no speed caps and includes tethering).

Reactions: Vanilla35

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Xfinity Mobile looks real good on paper...

But judging by their own site, https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/bd-p/XM, feels like a bunch of amateurs running the place. I say if u want to try them out, fine, good ahead. And by try-out I mean, use an old compatible BYOD iPhone and cancel if ur not happy within 30 days, then u only lost a few bucks.

If u dive head-long into it, buy hundred$ of dollars of phones from them, expect them to make good on debit card, port your numbers with dispatch and efficiency, expect quick reply and problems resolution, better spend some time on that forum first.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Xfinity Mobile looks real good on paper...

But judging by their own site, https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/bd-p/XM, feels like a bunch of amateurs running the place. I say if u want to try them out, fine, good ahead. And by try-out I mean, use an old compatible BYOD iPhone and cancel if ur not happy within 30 days, then u only lost a few bucks.

If u dive head-long into it, buy hundred$ of dollars of phones from them, expect them to make good on debit card, port your numbers with dispatch and efficiency, expect quick reply and problems resolution, better spend some time on that forum first.

I read as much as I could there. A lot of the problems and complaints were after the launch about a year ago. They didn't even have BYOD when they launched.

If you buy your phones outright you can cancel anytime. There's no contract. My numbers ported in one hour...before I could even get home to set up the new phones. I haven't had any service issues. I did the chat on their app once to ask something that I forget now. Our phones work perfectly in London.

As to the debit card I may have thrown the envelope away by accident. I had to call and request a replacement.

Compared to StraightTalk and their customer service in the Philippines, I'm quite satisfied. Prior to ST I was being ripped off by AT&T.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
I have had flawless service since switching to Xfinity. Purchased two new iPhones, received the rebate debit card at the expected time. Xfinity unlocked both phones within a day of being eligible. Customer Service Representatives have been very good both in the store and online.

andyt3

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2016
Western MA
We also switched and haven’t had any issues so far. Coverage is great, and speed hasn’t been an issue either.

The attached photo is a speed test I ran while sitting at my desk in my office.

1aef0d485dd222deaada1baf70829594.png

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Very interesting thread.

You get 100MB free per device before they start charging you the first 1GB. I'm decent at skimping on data. But I can't use that little... I've been coming around 500-700MB and running a $15 cellphone bill, which, honestly, is pretty fab.

You'd still have to pay tax rate on the $10 discount. All lines are $10/mo, which is waived for being a comcast home internet customer. So you'll get whatever taxes are on that pre-discount, base $10 rate.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
If I could get direct tv to service my in law unit under the main account I wouldnt have xfinity for anything but internet.

You only need internet for XM. Why don't you just have DirecTV install in the main house, and then move a receiver to the in-law suite? Or is it a second building with a second dish or cable drop?

Or rather not use Verizon. That latency is not tower depedent, it's prioritization or rather fast v slow lanes of traffic.

I don't think that's prioritization. I think they're routing everything through one or two central gateways, so if you're not near that, your traffic is bouncing all over the place, creating high latency.

If you are switching for the sole purpose of saving money, I would highly recommend T-Mobile.

T-Mobile's coverage is nowhere near Verizon's for one. Secondly, even if you're 55+ or Military, it's still WAY more expensive than XM for users who aren't using much data.

On the flip side, you get international roaming with T-Mobile, while XM's is ridiculously overpriced to the point where it's basically useless.

I'm not sure I'd want XM as my main line, and it sounds like a half-baked service, but I plan on getting an XM line at some point in the next year as a backup to my main AT&T line, so that I have both carriers, and will have coverage almost everywhere.

Also, note that from what I've read, you can't activate an AT&T iPhone 8 or X on XM, even though they work fine on postpaid Verizon. Go figure. BYOD Android is still MIA, as it Wi-Fi calling on Android. They clearly haven't worked all the kinks out. The only way I'd try it on my main line would be to use a Verizon or Unlocked iPhone so it's easy to bail and switch to something else if it doesn't work out.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
X-Finity will now start throttling mobile video just as AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile now do plus, there will be limits on tethering on the unlimited plans. There will be an extra charge for HD streaming.

I thought if switching from T-Mobile to Xfinity but Xfinity uses Verizon and I can't get Verizon at my house like I do with T-Mobile. I also have 3 all in lines on T-Mobile for $100 and HD video is included in that plus tethering.

https://arstechnica.com/information...obile-video-will-charge-extra-for-hd-streams/

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
X-Finity will now start throttling mobile video just as AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile now do plus, there will be limits on tethering on the unlimited plans. There will be an extra charge for HD streaming.

I thought if switching from T-Mobile to Xfinity but Xfinity uses Verizon and I can't get Verizon at my house like I do with T-Mobile. I also have 3 all in lines on T-Mobile for $100 and HD video is included in that plus tethering.

https://arstechnica.com/information...obile-video-will-charge-extra-for-hd-streams/

If you're looking at low usage deals then Xfinity Mobile should be considered. If the words "throttling", "tethering", "unlimited" and "HD steaming" are important to you...probably not.

Reactions: nburwell and BiggAW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.