Any other 2G users feel abandoned?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djearlybird, Apr 8, 2010.

1. djearlybird macrumors regular

Been using my iPhone 2G on t-mobile since the days of a 1.0 jailbreak. I am finding it hard to believe it can't run any of the new OS. My main problem is, eventually the apps in the App Store will require 4.0 or higher to run them, which leaves me SOL. I'm sure i'm not the only one here who feels this way, am I? :rolleyes:

2. fr00b macrumors regular

It's coming onto 3 yrs old this summer. It's pretty reasonable they stop supporting it now. I was surprised when 3.0 supported it tbh.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I too am very mad at this. But more because I have a bunch of 1G iPod Touches around the house. What I want to know is why the 2G iPhone and 1G iPT can't get it even if they share the same components as the 3G iPhone. Hopefully the jailbreak community can get it to all work nicely.

4. fr00b macrumors regular

I think it may be because of the absence of 3G and GPS. More and more apps are using these features, besides, support has to end some time sooner or later.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The 3G and GPS makes no sense. What about the iPod Touches? They don't have either but the 2G iPT is getting it but the 1G isn't. Of course the 2G iPT has a different CPU the the rest of the iDevice lineup.

6. fr00b macrumors regular

Thats true. Im just nitpicking I guess. As for the hardware, it's pretty much identical to the 3G, maybe they feel 3 years supporting it is enough? Most likely down to forcing us to upgrade to the latest and greatest tho.

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

On the one hand, it's been three years, but on the other, it is pretty close (hardware-wise) to the 3G, so...yeah. I can understand the frustration.

But then again, it's had a good run. Time to upgrade!

8. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

In a way I do feel abandoned, and I love unibody products - hence one of the reasons I never upgraded. However, this is something we have to live with. My iPhone 2G has light leakage :(

9. djearlybird thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, just makes me sick I paid $400 for the phone(when it was new), and now can't get an update. Makes me worried about the iPad I just bought, and that's only a week old.

10. macfan881 macrumors 68020

Kinda disapointed but the rumors hinted that multi tasking I've read hinted at it beeing the recent models

11. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Give it 2/3 years and you won't get anymore OS updates. Now with a laptop.... it's different. HP Slate :D

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Are you serious? The iPhone is more than 3 years old! Name one company that would support a phone for that long.

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

No offense but i think you guys should be thankful you were given 3 generations of OS updates thats practically unheard of on any other platform.

Did you expect them to keep feeding you updates forever and ever?...especially when the hardware is getting older each day?

Self-entitlement much? Thats unreasonable and plain unrealistic

They're still a business last i checked

14. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Name me another 3 year old phone that still gets regular major software updates.

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

16. iHalo macrumors regular

You bought the device as is. No one said Apple had to deliver this at all. Stop whining and either upgrade the hardware, or be happy with what you have.

17. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

you can't expect updates for life.

not realistic.

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's only two years for the 3G, and it's not supported. The reason by Apple: The 3G can't handle multitasking. The real reason: Apple wants you to upgrade.

19. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Last software update for the Blackberry Curve (circa mid-2007) was like...May last year.

Or because the 3G has half the RAM and half the processing capability of the 3GS.

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

My jailbroken 3G handles all the stuff OS 4.0 will do fine.

21. macfan881 macrumors 68020

I'm getting a 3GS most likely in a week anyway contract is up in a week and my phone has been hanging on life suport or going psycho the last month anyway otherwise id hold out to july for 4G iPhone but yeah ill be happy to use multi tasking then.

22. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I wonder how many apps we won't be able to use?

23. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

But how does it scale? How does it affect battery life?

Apple has notoriously high standards for implementing this stuff.

24. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

Please, I paid $599 for my iPhone 2G and the only reason I still use it is because my 3GS couldn't handle a 3 foot fall onto concrete (while the 2G survived a flight across the room into a wall). The iPhone 2G has a superior case, but it is SLOW compared to the 3GS.

For once, I believe Apple when they say the hardware can't support the upgrade. There is no way the 2G iPhone could handle multitasking, it can barely handle "mono-tasking".

Don't be sick, just upgrade!