Any other Alu 13" MB users feel screwed?!?!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stevejobbers, Jun 9, 2009.

1. stevejobbers macrumors member

i bought mine (the backlit keyboard) model in early 09 and feel especially screwed this time around. basically my machine is now $400 cheaper with a better screen, battery, and firewire.

i know technology updates quickly and prices drop, but historically apple is usually pretty slow when it comes to these types of changes and i didn't anticipate changes as drastic as this so soon, otherwise i obviously would have held off my purchase. a $400 cut PLUS improvements just seems excessive and i'm really upset.

sorry, just felt like ranting. :(

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

To get the machine you have it is not $400 cheaper. $250 at the very most, but that's including a slower processor.

Does the fact that a new computer is available make yours work worse?

3. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

You could have added this to one of the other threads, why make a new one?

4. stevejobbers thread starter macrumors member

where do you get $250? i paid $1599 for my machine which has become the $1199 model. if the processor being slower is the only "downgrade" what about all the upgrades (battery, screen, firewire)? those EASILY offset the slower processor, and then some.

i know that tech is going to upgrade and get cheaper, but i could argue there is now a $600+ difference between my machine and the current model in a few months time - that is outrageous and very un-apple like. usually they cut costs or offer upgrades, but not both and never this extreme.

5. JDee macrumors 6502a

Life sucks - no.
    Somethings in life suck - yes.

You have to suck it up.

There was a guy posting that he got the MacBook 13" a day before the updates - how do you think he feels? I feel really bad for him.

Don't mean to be rude, but not so much for you.

There is usually updates around this time (or the next few months) - and unfortunately it is your decision.

You screwed yourself, Apple didn't screw you. Apple need to keep on top of things, not by giving customers notices when a product will be announced. If it did go like that, their sales would decrease dramatically waiting for that release date.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

To the credit of the forum, most all of us told that guy to wait. C'mon, who the hell buys a computer the day before a big annoucement? At least if it were some random uninformed person maybe they didn't know WWDC was coming up, but that guy was fully aware.

7. ikos macrumors regular

I got my 2.4GHz a month ago, do I regret it? Yes! But what can I do, life goes on. Try to put it all in perspective, there's worse things that could happen. Try not to think about it and look forward to Snow Leopard!

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I don't understand why people are ridiculing others who are complaining when they bought a MacBook a few days before WWDC. I mean, come on, the chances of anything other then the iPhone and maybe the Mac Pro being updated at WWDC was slim to none. It happened, but if you were basing your guess of whether or not there would be MacBook updates at WWDC off of Apple previous WWDC history, you would've probably not expected them to happen.

AFAIK, this is the first time Apple has updated consumer machines at WWDC. So it was reasonable to assume that they wouldn't.

9. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

It was reasonable before they updated the current white MacBook to have a faster processor than the unibody. It was pretty clear that wouldn't be the case for long.

10. Steveness macrumors newbie

Although I only purchased my Alu MacBook a month ago, I have no regrets. Its what I wanted and what I saved for and I am completely satisfied with it.

In the future (when AppleCare runs out), I will no doubt look to 'upgrade' to the latest model. In the meantime, just waiting for Snow Leopard :cool:.

11. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Yeah, that's the real thing I'm looking forward to. Snow Leopard incorporates features I wanted to see on both Windows and Leopard. And $29? That's a steal!

12. MrZebra macrumors regular

Sure it was, but after the initial rumor of the rebranding, the whitebook update was a clear signal that something was gonna happen to the unibody macbooks.

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I can relate to the OP's frustration. But what can we do right?

14. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Exactly, this is why it's near impossible to feel bad for anyone creating posts that they are upset as if Apple screwed them. The white Macbook update which was well over 2 weeks ago and was a big hint that something may happen at or around WWDC with the current aluminum line. It would make no sense for the white Macbook to be faster than the aluminum Macbook when it cost 300 less so an update for the Unibody Macbook was due very soon.
    The same people that created a happy thread over this past weekend about getting their new Macbook are the same people posting "Apple screwed me threads" after the keynote.

15. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I see your point but the OP purchased at the beginning of the year. I don't think you can really complain about apple, or any other company, updating an 8 month old computer.

16. nws0291 macrumors 6502

Why? He is within the 14 day period he can return it no questions asked for the new one.

17. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Except that there were articles on the web written by everyone and their cat Sam saying that something was in the works for this WWDC. And once the white MacBooks got their boost, it was pretty clear that something was in the works for the very near future.

18. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

i know what you mean but if everybody waited to by with the fear of things being upgraded, no one would ever bye or be happy, be happy you have an aluminum macbook and not a cracking white one like me lol

19. kikedeolivos macrumors member

20. MrZebra macrumors regular

welcome ;)

21. Tharian macrumors regular

I have the feeling that there will be many of these ridiculous threads in the near future....

You (and I) bought machines that we wanted, when we wanted them. I have enjoyed mine immensely since (as have you, I imagine).

I really don't get the point of being upset that something better has come out; my aluminum Macbook still works perfectly, doing exactly what I wanted it to do when I bought it!

-d

22. kikedeolivos macrumors member

Thanks.

23. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

You have no one to blame but yourself for not waiting.

The computer was 8 months old, overdue for a spec update, and the white macbook was just recently updated to become faster than the old 13" uMB.

Do these types of threads appear after every update Apple makes?

24. gerabbi macrumors regular

I have a uMB 2.0. I bought in March. I have no regrets. I got a good deal. I've been using and enjoying mine for 3 months and yeah the new ones are nice, very nice. But after 3 years or so when I need to upgrade even bigger and better will be available. I'm also looking forward to a SSD and SL! Tech moves fast and faster! Buy what you need when you need and accept that faster will arrive even faster and enjoy what you have! My uMB still rocks and will for the next 3 years.

25. yoyomaster macrumors regular

If you feel like that why don't you sell your computer and buy the new 13in macbook pro, or keep your computer and stop complaining. I don't really see how you are getting so upset when you purchased early this year(you obviously did not need the firewire), I have a 2.4 also and I don't really care that they got rebranded and changed.