Any other Dachsund owners? [PICS]

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DWBurke811, Jul 14, 2011.

1. DWBurke811, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011

DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

So, dachshunds are the best dogs ever. I just wanted to put that out in the open before I started my post lol

My little guy is named Frank, he was born September 27, 2010, and he's perfect. Found the best breeder, had to pass their requirements(I'm fairly sure they do a full background check in addition to needing pictures of your house/yard/surround area) and paid in full for first pick of the litter of two AKC champion short hairs...4 weeks before the puppies were even conceived. I'm pretty sure he's full grown now, and weighs in at a hair above 17.5 pounds. It really is true how much they love you and how loyal they are; how well they listen is a different story, he doesn't "misbehave," but isn't a very good listener.

It's actually kinda sad though, I was planning to leave Saturday at like 4AM to get him, then either get a hotel for the night or drive back; Thursday morning my dad calls me and said that something is really wrong with my cat(I'm 21 and my mom got her for me for either my 3rd or 4th birthday, so she wasn't a kitten by any stretch), she was really lethargic and just not acting right. I don't know why, but just from that I knew her kidneys had shut down and I'm pretty sure my dad did to. He brought her to the vet to see if there was anything they could do; she HATED cars and he said she didn't fight at all during the trip which we knew was bad. The vet said to just let her rest at home the rest of the day until the tests came back, and gave her some pain meds. Tests came back in the morning that she was in complete renal failure, and there was nothing that could be done. I live 6 hours from where she was and didn't want her to have to suffer more, and didn't want to see and remember her like that, I wanted to remember her as a happy cat. So the day before I was driving 13 hours to get a puppy, he/we had to put down the cat my mom(who died of cancer when I was 7) got me. I wanted to say forget it and tell the breeder I didn't care about the deposit sell him to someone else, but my girlfriend made me get in the car and go. Thank god she did, because he's awesome. And it was almost like my cat is telling me she's happy I got him, he hates cars; he thinks he's a 120 pound German Shepherd until he gets in a car, then he's a big baby.

Here are some pictures of him, I'm like a proud dad and love showing off my baby. I've got 2000 pictures of him on my iPhone alone, not including videos, nor counting my Nikon S6, but I do use my iPhone for 99% of my pictures now.

Here are two of the many pictures the breeder sent me, the first is the first one after he was born(before he opened his eyes), and the last is the last before I picked him up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here he is napping in his loft with his sister(my girlfriend's 3 pound AKC Maltese, she looks like she runs on batteries. XXS harnesses and clothes fall off of her)

[​IMG]

Here he is in December wearing his winter coat, which he outgrew :(

[​IMG][/URL]

Him enjoying some rawhide in his loft

[​IMG]

On a walk. His current harness/lead combo is a pink Puppia and just a basic 5' Stetson Law lead. I could never just walk him with a collar, all the extra strain on his neck and back would kill me.

[​IMG]

Me and my hound chillin' on the couch, he loves the dog loofas like the one in the picture. The problem is his favorite part about them is ripping out the stuffing, I'm going through different brands trying to find a stronger one. I really should just order them by the dozen

[​IMG]

In the basement playing with his Kong stuffed with CanyonCreekRanch chicken jerky and dehydrated yams; "treats" with a single ingredient, dehydrated chicken and yams respectively, no need for any extra junk. His food is Blue Buffalo Wilderness; I still feel bad I don't make my own food for him, even though it's a 6 star food.
    [​IMG]

Tell stories, show off and brag about your Dachshunds :)

2. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

3. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Awwwwww... we used to have a miniature, wire-haired dachsund when I was in highschool through college. His name was Harley... still miss him, too. :(

4. DWBurke811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was up in the air between wanting a mini or full size; I decided to go with a small full size. His dad was 19 pounds and his mom was 17; he's right around 17.5 so he might have a little more growing to do or could be done.

One thing thy surprised me is despite them being awesome, they're relatively cheap. At the same time we were looking for a Dachshund for me we were looking for a Maltese for my girlfriend; and it had to be the smallest Maltese tag existed. Well, once we found out the deal behind tea-cups and how they get them that small we really started checking out breeders and found one that was not only AKC but was one of like 3 that the AKC had links to on their site. And they charged accordingly, let's just say I could have got 5 Dachahunds for the price of Lilly the Maltese; but it was only a 20 hour round trip to get her, including stopping at the breeder. I do admit I love her too, and he was no idea she weighs 3.5 pounds which I think is amazing.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No pillow is to expensive for a Doxie. :D

6. DWBurke811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL, I have something very similar to that as a caption to a FaceBook picture; naturally he has a FaceBook. I don't want to go look up the exact wording bit it's also a picture of then sleeping like that with his head on her and said something like "Frank using his sister Lilly as a very fluffy, very small, and super expensive pillow."

An I agree with you 100%; he only gets the best everything, and whatever he wants he gets for the most part. That's actually true for both our dogs to be honest, they're our kids and get treated as such.

7. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

It took me quite a while to get that. :eek:

8. DWBurke811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

We adopted a long haired daschund from a caretaker of a woman who had just died. His name was Joey. He was a spoiled, rotten dog. I mean spoiled. So I just continued the trend when we got him.

I think he was pretty old when we got him. He broke a leg at the house so we had to take him in to the vet. Some more things started to happen to him and he had to have emergency surgery. He didn't make it.

So now he rests inside one of our display cases where we keep our nice glasses and plates and stuff like that. His name on a nameplate there. I miss that little guy.

10. laurenr macrumors 6502a

OMG! Your Doxie is just toooooo cute! I just love that picture of him sleeping on his Maltese Pillow.....just too precious for words. I can see how much you love him.:eek: I am the same with my 2 liitle Yorkies....... Totally obsessed; nothing I wouldn't do for them.:eek:
    I am so sorry you lost your Mom at such a young age......cannot begin to imagine that.:(
    How wonderful that your little Sausage Dog could heal your grieving heart when your Cat passed away.......isn't it amazing the healing power of Puppy Love?:D

11. StvenH90 macrumors regular

12. DWBurke811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah it's crazy how quickly they become part of you; when we started looking into breeders and everything the whole "I could be getting a 27" iMac, a Mini, and deck all our computes out with SSDa ram and whatever else" kept popping up in the back of my mind, now I would gladly trade anything for them.

My current problem is the debate to get him fixed. Lilly must have known we were going to get her done, the morning of her appointment she went into heat for the first time; so that was a fun couple weeks having our house separated into 2. She's going in in around a week. But there's still a part of me that doesn't want to get him fixed; but I don't really have any reasons. I can't see myself ever showing him, and I could always have some of his sperm frozen just to be safe. I guess it's the guy in me not wanting them to, well, cut off his balls. Like won't he miss them? I haven't really looked into neuticles(prosthetic balls), has anyone gotten them for their dog? But then I wonder if they're at all self aware enough to know they were removed, I mean he doesn't know what he looks like or anything: he HATES the other dachshunds that live in mirrors/glass/whatever).

Am I just being dumb not going through with it?

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Dumb, no, over-thinking, yes.

Dogs get over being sterilised, just like Humans do.

14. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I don't have a Dachsund, but I have always liked them. I also crack up every time I see this image. :)

Attached Files:

15. DWBurke811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahhhh I'm just so torn, I want to look into the neuticles(sp?) more; I think they're only like $100 for the pair so it's not like money factors into the decision, not like it's ever really a thought when it comes to them. If it complicates the surgery or increases the recovery time or anything I wouldn't do it...it's just like that once I go through with it, that's it, they're not going to grow back or anything. I'm like 90% that I'm going to have him fixed, and I know I'm kinda blowing it out of proportion, but he's my kid so it's a bod decision.

16. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Don't do the Neuticles!:eek: can you imagine the risk of infection/rejection of a foreign body in your Frank? Besides, he won't know the difference. I do have to giggle just a bit though;).......how like a Man to even think of such a concept for a DOG, who couldn't care a less about its cosmetic appearance.:D

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

He's her child, which is why this technique was developed.

I just wonder if his bark will be higher?

18. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Yeah, unless you have specific plans to breed him (which it sounds like you don't), it's unfair to not neuter him. I can think of a dozen what-if situations which could produce unwanted puppies, and with shelters largely being crowded with unwanted animals, you shouldn't contribute to it.

Funny how guys get all weird about this - it's like you're imagining someone neutering you, and so you add all these irrational emotions to what should be a simple decision. :rolleyes: :p

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Question: Why can't the vet go that extra mile, and do the same snip/knot of the vas deferens as is done on men?

If the OP feels that strongly about it, why not?? (Sorry, pun not intentional.)

Oh, I wonder if Lance has a Neuticle? :)

20. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Hey, by all means if you have that sort of money around - I imagine it would cost more? Makes no difference to me as long as the little cutie won't sire unwanted children. :)

21. DWBurke811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, I had a major scare last night. I was upstairs eating dinner, when I came down stairs I saw Frank pawing around a "rattle," problem is that rattle was a bottle of ~150 pain killers. How he or Lilly got it down from the counter(there's no possible way he could have got up there) I have no idea, but thank god he couldn't open it. There were a few teeth marks on the cap, but was still on securely. I pretty much had a heart attack. I have a feeling that even 1 of them would have been enough to kill him. Lesson learned, I will now be keeping them in the top kitchen drawer.

22. prodavid macrumors newbie

23. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I have an 11 year old Dachshund. Her name is Lucy. (See prfile pic)

She. Is. Spiteful.

When she was a puppy, my then-girlfriend (now wife) came up to visit me and meet Lucy for the first time. Lucy did not like having my attention shared.

The girlfriend and I were watching TV, when we smellled something most foul. We turned around only to discover that Lucy had gone through the girlfriend's suitcase, pulled out her sweater, and took a dachshund-sized crap on it.

10 years later, the wife and I have a kid. Lucy has been known to poop on the floor in front of us...while making eye contact with our kid.

Spiteful.

But she's also a bit of a cuddleslut. She'll sit next to me on the couch, and rest her head on me. Which is adorable. And fortunately, she shows no aggression toward the kid. She just sort of runs away and hides whenever she sees him. And I swear she rolls her eyes, too.

Lucy's bed is my old comforter/blanket from college. She sleeps under it. It's not uncommon for us to find just a nose and a couple of paws sticking out from under a blanket in the mornings.

Now excuse me. She just pooped on the floor again.

24. DWBurke811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha, yep that sounds like a dachshund lol. Frank can be eating a full strip of chicken jerky, if we give Lilly some(even of it's only a quarter of a strip) he'll drop his, run over and take it from her. So he gives up a bigger treat to take hers; luckily she's smart and will go take the one he dropped lol. Same goes for giving them attention; he can be laying on the couch or whatever perfectly content, if Lilly comes up to us he darts over and has to be the center of attention. That's even if he just walked away from us petting him. He just learned that he can jump up onto the bed so that's now a lost cause lol.

One thing I think is funny is that he's afraid to walk down stairs. We don't let him use the stairs(it's bad for his back), but if we don't put a gate up he has no problem sprinting up them; but if we're on the second or third floor he'll stand at the top of the stairs(with no gate or anything so mornings stopping him) and just look down and bark. He's learning he only needs to bark once because we carry him down(or up) whenever he wants, but it's still really funny to me how much of a baby he is when it comes to going down stairs. If only he wasnt afraid of walking up them too so we didn't have to use gates, because it's kind of a pain having to step over the gate when we're carrying him. Lilly on the other hand has no problem going up or down stairs, which is amazing to me because of how small she is; when she was a little(or littler) puppy she would stand at the bottom stair and try so hard to get up and was so excited when she finally could, she ran up and down them over and over.

And about the sleeping under blankets, Frank does the same thing. When he goes in his loft(crate), more so at night than just a nap, he digs and burrows himself into some of the blankets. Most of the time just his tail is sticking out, we always joke that there's no reason to fold the blankets in his loft or anything because he's going to arrange them exactly how he likes.

25. DWBurke811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's a nice long-hair you have, and he looks very, very relaxed sleeping there :cool: