Any other fat guys getting the 38mm?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by imoxja, Apr 20, 2015.

1. imoxja macrumors newbie

I have a 200mm wrist and I'm strongly considering getting the 38mm. I don't have any masculinity issues, vision issues, or need the extra battery life of the 42mm. I've seen other threads mention it being for women or guys with small wrists, but what about guys that don't necessarily care about the screen size or want a smaller watch? Is anyone else getting the 38mm if you have a wrist above 180mm?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

the 38mm is smaller in person. You may want to go into a store and try it on. My wrist is much smaller than yours and the 42mm doesn't cover my entire wrist.

3. imoxja thread starter macrumors newbie

4. st0k3d macrumors member

Really? I am not a big watch person at all, but was shocked at how small the 42mm and 38mm were in person. The 38mm looked like a kids/petite female watch to me.

5. imoxja thread starter macrumors newbie

Eh, I'm one of the guys that uses an 11" Air all day and wishes the iPhone 6 have came in a 4" size.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Then it's your call. the 38mm was way too small for my wrist. I'd imagine it would be even worse on yours.

7. leenak macrumors 68020

Get what makes you happy.

I don't know why many guys are all like '42mm only for men', maybe they do have masculinity issues, I don't know. Men's watches come in smaller than 38mm even. So go for it.

8. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

I would say go in store too and try it on. I'm a skinny dude and did not like the 38mm at all. But it's just a preference really.

And lol at the title.

9. cmichaelb, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015

cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Get what you like. It's whatever you're comfortable with and think you'll like best.

For me, 185mm, 65mm wide, the 42mm was perfect IMO, but that's my personal taste.

Everyone is different.

10. Q Bert macrumors regular

Q Bert

Trust me, you'll regret having the 38mm not because of limitations but how it will look in comparison to your wrist size.

11. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

That would be my concern. Yet, we all have different taste.

12. Foxdog175 macrumors regular

This isn't the community to ask in regards to the 38mm. There's been a bias against it from day one.

You've already tried it on and if you prefer it, get it. Trust your instinct.

13. Koobs macrumors regular

Koobs

Im a guy and ordered the 38mm. I'm not a watch person but the notifications on the wrist sold me on it. For everythjng else I have my kick a## iPhone 6+ To use.

14. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

Get the one you like. I have a Polar Loop which is pretty small, actually it just looks like one, well, loop with silver at the top and the bottom. No one has ever said it was "feminine" or "masculine". Just stay away from the pink band and you will be OK.

15. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I tried on the 38mm and it looked to small on my wrists.
    I'm a fat guy and I ordered a 42mm

16. perspectivetech macrumors newbie

My only concern for you would be the length of the bands on the 38mm, which tend to size smaller. For instance, I tried on the 38mm with classic leather band (with 165mm wrists) and I'm already on the 3rd to last loop hole from the very end. If you look at the site, the 38mm strap goes from 125-200mm, so you'll literally be at the very last loop hole.

For the strap reason alone, you may want to upsize to the 42mm.

I'm personally buying a 38mm watch as I'm fine with the loop placements. Also, as the metal lugs on the classic strap increase the height of the entire device, it looks really well proportioned on my wrist.

17. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Not me, I went 42mm and after seeing them in store I'm very glad I did.

The 38mm is super tiny! I was shocked at how small it was.

18. Qrispy macrumors regular

Qrispy

Some pics of 38mm watches on larger wrists would definitely help this thread out. For comparison's sake.

19. derekmlr macrumors member

I'd say the only concern is actually using the watch. But as long as you can operate it (small UI elements vs big fingers) and you like the look/feel on you, then go for it.

Who cares if something seems more masculine or feminine. Gender specific crap is stupid and should be a thing of the past.

20. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

This looks like it could be the 38mm on a larger wrist:

[​IMG]

21. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

He tried it on and liked the size so I don't think he'll regret it.

22. chillg8r macrumors regular

chillg8r

I too have a 200mm wrist, although i don't call myself a "fat guy", just stocky. :cool:

I wear a Rado now that has a slightly smaller than the 38mm round face and is much thinner than the Apple Watch. I don't particularly like big watches. I went into my appointment hoping for clarity but Nooooooo. The 38mm, imo was not too small and the 42mm was not too large! I left just as confused. My wife, who has awesome taste, says I should definitely get the 42mm.

Fortunately i ordered a 38 and a 42 so i will take my time when both arrive and select one. I would say I am about 70-30 inclined to go with the 42mm. Good luck with your choice.

23. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

For sure that looks like some guy putting on his daughter's watch. :eek:

24. nfl46 macrumors 603

Lol, that looks way too small for this wrist...and since it looks bigger in pictures, I can only imagine how tiny it looks in person on him.

25. AbsoluteMustard macrumors regular

It isn't a masculinity issue. It is what it in style. Men are supposed to wear bigger things because that is what is in style.

Girls can get away with the cutoff jean short shorts, but you won't find many men sporting that look after 1973. That isn't a masculinity issue, it is style.

[​IMG]