Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
It isn't a masculinity issue. It is what it in style. Men are supposed to wear bigger things because that is what is in style.

Girls can get away with the cutoff jean short shorts, but you won't find many men sporting that look after 1973. That isn't a masculinity issue, it is style.

"In style" and who makes the style? Those that are trying to sell you those same watches. It is best to follow the beat of your own drummer than listen to guys who look ridiculous sporting huge ass watches.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
It isn't a masculinity issue. It is what it in style. Men are supposed to wear bigger things because that is what is in style.

Girls can get away with the cutoff jean short shorts, but you won't find many men sporting that look after 1973. That isn't a masculinity issue, it is style.

Wow, how was his balls breathing...lol.

chillg8r

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
Durham,NC

I agree and style is fleeting. Thats why, when it comes to watches you will see fine timepieces in every style: thin, thick, round, square, big, small and everything in between. It will be the quality that will endure.

I say buy the one you like the most regardless of what consensus says is in style at the moment, but thats just my opinion.

Chiguy12

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2015
Chicago
If you're bigger I would suggest the 42mm. If you have bigger hands you most likely have bigger fingers which will make navigation difficult. my wrist is 165 so I'm getting the 38 but I can already tell that navigating on the 42 will be much easier

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
I opted for the 42mm even though the 38mm actually looked fine on me as well as it did for my wife.

However, that little bit of extra battery life was important to me, as well as many accessories that seem to be targeting or accommodating the 42mm versions.

It really wasn't a toss up for me between the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus either, as the 6 Plus had a true 1080p resolution as well as the Optical Image Stabilizer, which the 6 didn't have. It probably has a larger battery, but I didn't bother to check that one. I do have a bit of a hard time with it fitting in my pants, but I can't forgo that larger screen.

As my luck would have it, the 6 seems to have the ever-so-slight upper hand in the availability of accessories, compared to the 6 Plus, too.

My brother opted for the 6 at the time of the launch, and he regretted it after a few months and used his grandfathered JUMP! to upgrade to the 6 Plus, and I know I wouldn't have gone the other way back to the 6.

So, as I probably made the right decision in the iPhone, I probably made the right decision for the 42mm :apple:WATCH. To each their own.

AbsoluteMustard

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2015
Boston, USA
"In style" and who makes the style? Those that are trying to sell you those same watches. It is best to follow the beat of your own drummer than listen to guys who look ridiculous sporting huge ass watches.

Style is a constant evolution brought upon by many outside forces. Those that create watches can set style cues, but major style elements are established by a larger section of society.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Style is a constant evolution brought upon by many outside forces. Those that create watches can set style cues, but major style elements are established by a larger section of society.

Why do you think Apple is handing watches out like candy? Why do style houses hand out free clothes/accessories to celebrities? Because they want to influence style and honestly it works. Unless there are people making their own watches, watches that you buy are those that are offered. If you see high profile people wear them, then others will follow but that doesn't mean that everyone has to.

AbsoluteMustard

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2015
Boston, USA
Why do you think Apple is handing watches out like candy? Why do style houses hand out free clothes/accessories to celebrities? Because they want to influence style and honestly it works. Unless there are people making their own watches, watches that you buy are those that are offered. If you see high profile people wear them, then others will follow but that doesn't mean that everyone has to.

Was this supposed to dispute what I said? I agree with all of this.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
I have a 200mm wrist and I'm strongly considering getting the 38mm. I don't have any masculinity issues, vision issues, or need the extra battery life of the 42mm. I've seen other threads mention it being for women or guys with small wrists, but what about guys that don't necessarily care about the screen size or want a smaller watch? Is anyone else getting the 38mm if you have a wrist above 180mm?

This FAT guy can't get a Apple Watch due to his 235mm wrists! I guess it is a GOOD thing to save monies!:eek:

:p

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.