Any other Sunrise browser fans out there?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mabaker, Jul 16, 2012.

1. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

Sunrise is a web browser, very light one - based on WebKit. the URL: http://download.cnet.com/Sunrise/3000-2356_4-83356.html

On my PowerBook 12" 1 GHz it is running circles around Safari (both have the options for plug-ins disabled to block all the Flash tragedy). Upon start the browser is using 17-20 MB of RAM compared to around 40-50 MB of Safari.

Web pages load in no time and start-up time is instantaneous compared to Safari. due to limited resources on my Powerbook I prefer to open Sunrise far more often than Safari, especially when running multiple applications at the same time.

2. jbarley, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Just downloaded from the link you provided, will not work as it is intel only.

3. mabaker thread starter macrumors 65816

mabaker

4. eyoungren, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The first link you posted was to the file on cnet. One of the reasons I hate cnet is that it has the very bad habit of linking their downloads to the latest version of the program, despite the version the page mentions. This makes it impossible to download the app version that the page is showing. So the link is pointing to the latest version (which is Intel) even though it mentions a different version.

You used to be able to download it at sunrisebrowser.com. But apparently that website was hosted on mobileme so all it does is redirect to icloud with the mobileme closed sign now.

I like Sunrise because it's fast, but I don't use it as my main browser. It's a web development browser and that's not what I'm doing.

For an even faster browser, you might try Demeter (as long as stability is not an issue). There's also Roccat, which is fast and is a social browser. Shiira has visual tabs. Stainless is also fast too, probably about as fast as Sunrise if not faster. If I recall correctly, Stainless does not support tabs though. Or maybe I have that backwards with Sunrise. NagaraBrowser is the lightest of all. It's a simple web address box that pops up when you load it. No bookmarks, nothing. It just loads whatever page you put in the address box. Webkit is the latest Safari nightly builds, but for PowerPC Mac. And then there is Radon.

All of the above are Webkit and IMO are all faster and better than Safari.

5. mabaker thread starter macrumors 65816

mabaker

Thank you for the choice of the browsers. Will definitely check them out. :D

6. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

Thanks!

7. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Just download it - and I have to say why the hell haven't more PowerPC users heard of this?! It open in under a bounce on my G5, is ridiculously quick (quicker than Camino, TenFourFox, Stainless, you name it) & is as stable as anything. Great browser - thank you for sharing! I have myself a new primary browser.

8. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

You and mabaker might want to share your experience with the author of this article. Maybe more PPC-Users will then learn about it, if he writes a new article and test it under "laboratory" conditions.
    http://lowendmac.com/ed/royal/11sr/tenfourfox-flash-and-ppc.html

9. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Radon browser?

Does anyone have Radon browser? When I attempted to go to their website, it reported that it was down. Anyway, sunrise is pretty quick, but I prefer roccat.

10. mabaker thread starter macrumors 65816

mabaker

Yeah, it's that fast indeed. It's like using safari 6 on an Intel machine. Fluid and incredibly responsive. With all the HTML5 video goodness the web has to offer.

11. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Thanks for sharing this! Looks great so far. Fast as hell :D
    I use Aurorafox recently but Sunrise is waaay faster.

I've installed Click to Flash but Is there any ad blocker for it (I mean functionality of Safari Adblock or Adblock Plus)?

12. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

guess it's for 10.5, right? I tried it under 10.4 and it said "you can't open this application with this version of Mac OS X"

Oh and there is another download on the left side (green button). When you click on it downloads after 10 sec. automatically. It is an exe-file! Aborted the download...

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I've got it. I'll put it up later on tonight.

I found all those browsers just Googling. Unfortunately, the sites seem to be dissapearing. Again, I like Sunrise. It's fast, but I like the flexibility I get with TFF and Aurorafox.

----------

I'll have to give it a read later on tonight. Based on the quick skim I took though it would seem that no other browsers exist other than TFF and Safari.

14. eyoungren, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OK. Apparently I deleted Radon.

No matter. A few Google searches.

Radon 1.0

Radon 1.5.1

Both these links go to my public Dropbox so they should stay good (I'll keep them there).

From my searching it is my understanding that Radon 1 is the last version for Tiger and Radon 1.5.1 is the last for Leopard. No idea if this is true as I opened both in Leopard to make sure they ran (the filename for the DMG in Radon 1 indicates Leopard).

15. mabaker thread starter macrumors 65816

mabaker

Unfortunately as far as I know the only way to disable Flash is to "Disable plugins" in the preferences menu. You can enable it anytime in real time. Youtube automatically switches to HTML5 if you have "plugins disabled".

Cox Orange, unfortunately the version 2.X is Leopard only! I had it run under Tiger but it was the 1.X version which I don't have anymore unfortunately. And don't mind the other download! That is just advertising. The only valid link to get Sunrise is the non-green one in the middle.

eyoungren, thanks for the links! Appreciated!

16. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

CTF works with Sunrise perfectly, as with Safari.
    Still looking for solution for blocking frames and pictures but no luck so far...
    I'm too much addicted of ad-free Internet to switch to Sunrise completely, but it became my secondary browser. I removed Safari from my dock :p

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

For ad blocking, what about Glimmer Blocker? It installs as a System Preference pane and controls ad blocking system-wide, versus by browser. Which means, any webkit browser automatically gains what GB is blocking for Safari.

It's not as good as AdBlockPlus (another reason I use TFF/Aurorafox) but it does fairly well. And you can add your own rules. It's killed quite a few ads in the Fluid browsers I created for specific sites (Fluid being Webkit). And lastly, it's PowerPC Mac.

18. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Thanks eyoungren! Glimmer Blocker works pretty well, gotta customize filters a bit. Now sites are starting to look better in Sunrise :)

19. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

It gets 100/100 on the Acid3 test (the standard for browser compatibility testing) so thats a good start.

20. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Thanks a lot! That works for 10.4!

21. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

Is there any way to change the default font? MacRumors looks weird! :)

22. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

Holy Cripes!

mabaker you are a saint! This browsers is heads and tails above my old fav camino! Wow, just wow. Here on my g4 it's damned near close to being on my intel mini. Excellent find! I love it.

23. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

Okay, I found a more irritating thing than the changed font. Is it Sunrise or Glimmer Blocker doing this?

[​IMG]

They just keep coming the more I browse! :D

24. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I now tried on my quad, and ftw! It flies! Zippier than Safari. I am opening a single tab of macrumors site, it uses just 56MB of memory compared to 96+MB on Safari. It loads pages fast. I will love this browser.

Anyway, anybody can point me to the correct direction on how to install plugins or extensions?

25. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

I don't think so. I have both installed and have no such files in my DL folder.
    What filters do you have active? I have first three, without Site enhancements.