Any Pink Floyd Fans Here? Us and Them-a Masterpiece

user_xyz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2018
Love this song!

Put the Headphones on and Turn it Up!!!

Us (us, us, us, us) and them (them, them, them, them) And after all we're only ordinary men Me And you (you, you, you) God only knows It's not what we would choose (choose, choose) to do (to do, to do) Forward he cried from the rear And the front rank died And the general sat And the lines on the map Moved from side to side Black (black, black, black) And blue (blue, blue) And who knows which is which and who is who Up (up, up, up, up) And down (down, down, down, down) And in the end it's only round 'n round (round, round, round) Haven't you heard it's a battle of words The poster bearer cried Listen son, said the man with the gun There's room for you inside "I mean, they're not gonna kill ya So if you give 'em a quick short, sharp, shock They won't do it again. Dig it? I mean he get off lightly, 'cause I would've given him a thrashing I only hit him once! It was only a difference of opinion, but really I mean good manners don't cost nothing do they, eh?" Down (down, down, down, down) And out (out, out, out, out) It can't be helped that there's a lot of it about With (with, with, with), without And who'll deny it's what the fighting's all about? Out of the way It's a busy day I've got things on my mind For the want of the price Of tea and a slice The old man died
- - Post merged: - -

Another Masterpiece!! :)

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day Fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town Waiting for someone or something to show you the way Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today And then one day you find ten years have got behind you No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking Racing around to come up behind you again The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older Shorter of breath and one day closer to death Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say Home, home again I like to be here when I can When I come home cold and tired It's good to warm my bones beside the fire Far away, across the field The tolling of the iron bell Calls the faithful to their knees To hear the softly spoken magic spell

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Yep, excellent album and band. They're among my top favorites of all time.
This was actually one of the first two albums I ever bought on my own; prior to that, my brother and I used to negotiate and agree on what music we wished to buy, whereupon we would split the cost of the LP from our respective teenage allowances.

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013
Early-middle era Floyd, thrown into darkness after Barrett & emerging back out of that darkness, produced some of the most original and unique sounds 4 guys ever made with basic analog instruments.

obligatory:
This one is one of my favorites.

I never really liked Us and Them much, though I appreciate it more now than I did when I was younger.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
@D.T. Should join this thread. He may even fight you for which is PF's "best" album. ;)
Yes. I am here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum.

Anyway ... :D

WYWH is my favorite album (well, because it's the best ... FIGHT ME :p ), it works better for me thematically, lyrically, musically, I find it's more of a cohesive whole, with some brilliant nuance to some of the writing, the conflict, the retrospection, etc., really speaks to me. I've also noticed a bit trend of people who got into Floyd early, love Meddle, tend to favor WYWH vs. people who's first experience was DSotM, particularly the "big singles".

Killbynumbers

macrumors member
May 29, 2019
I liked Dark Side of the Moon and have the original vinyl album that I bought in the 70s that has the posters and the stickers. Such a great classic album start to finish.

I do think it's up there with Animals though. Even the post waters albums I hold with high regards. Very good stuff.

staggerlee41

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I liked Dark Side of the Moon and have the original vinyl album that I bought in the 70s that has the posters and the stickers. Such a great classic album start to finish.

I do think it's up there with Animals though. Even the post waters albums I hold with high regards. Very good stuff.
Many of the purists are not so fond of Pink Floyd without waters, some even dismiss it as Pink Floyd. That's a shame for them because Gilmour and the boys have made some incredible music. Having seen them on Momentary Lapse tour and Division Bell, I can definitely attest first hand to how good they are/were. The precision, perfection of the music I can only describe as being like attending an opera or classical music concert except it's rock & roll.

Interestingly enough PBS is running a Brit Floyd show as I type.

Killbynumbers

macrumors member
May 29, 2019
Many of the purists are not so fond of Pink Floyd without waters, some even dismiss it as Pink Floyd. That's a shame for them because Gilmour and the boys have made some incredible music. Having seen them on Momentary Lapse tour and Division Bell, I can definitely attest first hand to how good they are/were. The precision, perfection of the music I can only describe as being like attending an opera or classical music concert except it's rock & roll.

Interestingly enough PBS is running a Brit Floyd show as I type.
I saw Pink Floyd for those two tours as well. Even though it's been many many years now since the last tour, I still remember what an amazing show both of those tours were as you do, just outstanding performances.

People have to realize if they don't already but Gilmour's voice is all over Dark Side of the Moon as well as the Wall. This past weekend as I was making my way through all my favorite Floyd albums, I was reminded again of just how much Gimour's voice is Pink Floyd, just as much as Waters was.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Was just listening to my copy of "The Wall" on vinyl this weekend, to celebrate its 40th.

Many of the purists are not so fond of Pink Floyd without waters, some even dismiss it as Pink Floyd. That's a shame for them because Gilmour and the boys have made some incredible music.
Roger Waters definitely contributed a lot to the Pink Floyd sound but, for me PF will always be about David Gilmour. He's one of my favorite guitarists, and I really like his voice.
- - Post merged: - -

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013
For fun, I tried to compile a top 5 of my favorite Pink Floyd songs. I quickly realized 5 was impossible, so I tried 10. That didn't work out either.

So I have a list of 17 Pink Floyd songs I definitely never could live without:

Dogs
Time
The Great Gig in the Sky
Brain Damage
Eclipse
Shine on You Crazy Diamond (both)
Yet Another Movie
Sorrow
The Dogs of War
One of these Days
Wish You Were Here
Comfortably Numb
High Hopes
Echoes
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
Terminal Frost
In the Flesh

And a further 10 Honorable Mentions:

The Trial
Pigs (Three Different Ones)
When the Tigers Broke Free
The Fletcher Memorial Home
Hey You
Learning to Fly
Seamus
Young Lust
The Gnome
Astronomy Domine

Truth be told, many of these songs are probably dear to me because they remind me of certain periods of my life and probably not because they are great songs (by that I mean because of the emotional attachment I have to these songs, I really couldn't objectively say what makes them great).

I'm extremely grateful to have had the privilege of seeing The Division Bell concert (twice!)

Killbynumbers

macrumors member
May 29, 2019
For fun, I tried to compile a top 5 of my favorite Pink Floyd songs. I quickly realized 5 was impossible, so I tried 10. That didn't work out either.

Dogs
Time
The Great Gig in the Sky
Brain Damage
Eclipse
Yet Another Movie
Sorrow
The Dogs of War
One of these Days
Wish You Were Here
Comfortably Numb
High Hopes
Echoes
Terminal Frost
In the Flesh

The Trial
Hey You
Learning to Fly
Seamus
Young Lust
The Gnome
Astronomy Domine
Nice list. I agree on most of them. I never listen to the very early stuff such as the Gnome. I have a high level of regard for the Final Cut album. I remember the music videos that were made for several of the songs. They used to play them (trilogy) on my local PBS music video show all the time back then. Made me really respect that album, probably even more than the Wall.

Roxy.music

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Considering Dark is one of the highest-selling albums of all time a lot. Floyd fans everywhere.
I liked the early Floyd with Syd :)

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Holy smokes, that's fantastic. I might try compiling a playlist with YOUR list, and do a straight listen through ... ! I mean, I should be writing some code, but this seems more important :p

JamesMike

macrumors demi-god
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Nice list. I agree on most of them. I never listen to the very early stuff such as the Gnome. I have a high level of regard for the Final Cut album. I remember the music videos that were made for several of the songs. They used to play them (trilogy) on my local PBS music video show all the time back then. Made me really respect that album, probably even more than the Wall.

Dogs
Time
The Great Gig in the Sky
Brain Damage
Eclipse
Yet Another Movie
Sorrow
The Dogs of War
One of these Days
Wish You Were Here
Comfortably Numb
High Hopes
Echoes
Terminal Frost
In the Flesh

The Trial
Hey You
Learning to Fly
Seamus
Young Lust
The Gnome
Astronomy Domine

Truth be told, many of these songs are probably dear to me because they remind me of certain periods of my life and probably not because they are great songs (by that I mean because of the emotional attachment I have to these songs, I really couldn't objectively say what makes them great).

I'm extremely grateful to have had the privilege of seeing The Division Bell concert (twice!)
That is a good go to list.