Any point in having iTunes Match enabled on iPad?

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
I have it enabled on my iTunes side, so I can drag and drop and such. How about on iOS devices? It seems you have to download what you want first... unless I'm doing it wrong.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
The point is, you can have all your music in iCloud and then be out and about with your iPad, as long as you have Wi-Fi you can get a song you need. In the past you would have needed to connect the iPad to iTunes.

That's the point.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
iTunes Match is perfect for the iPad.

All your music on your device (As long as you have connectivity) and it doesn't take up any (much) storage space.

sharpycl

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD
I have it installed just to have my library in sync with my iPhone and iTunes. If I want to download a song then I can do so when needed instead of connecting to iTunes.

iTunes match is very helpful on iPad IMO.

darngooddesign

macrumors G3
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
All your music on your device (As long as you have connectivity) and it doesn't take up any (much) storage space.
I don't think its worthwhile unless you either have wifi everywhere or a big data plan. Until you download the songs they are not on your device. Do they take up less space on your iPad than if you transferred them any other way?

The point is, you can have all your music in iCloud and then be out and about with your iPad, as long as you have Wi-Fi you can get a song you need. In the past you would have needed to connect the iPad to iTunes.

That's the point.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding Match. I don't have it and I can download any song I have purchased without iTunes. I thought Match gave you access to any non-store song in your library but rhough iTunes.

Last edited:

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I don't think its worthwhile unless you either have wifi everywhere or a big data plan. Until you download the songs they are not on your device. Do they take up less space on your iPad than if you transferred them any other way?

Yeah, I don't think you quite understand Match.

When I say all your music is on your device, I mean it's all accessible.

If I’m at my friends house with my iPad, and want to listen to an album I don’t have to worry about having it synced onto my device.

I just hit play and the album starts playing.

I never have to worry about running out of storage on my iPad, or think about which albums or playlists I sync. All of my music is ‘on’ all my devices.

iTunes Match was made with the iOS devices in mind.

darngooddesign

macrumors G3
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Does it rely on the Store to play those songs? I have a lot of music which just isn't available on iTunes, can match play those tracks? Also, while work has wifi they have asked us not to stream music so I would have to have a big data plan to use Match.

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
I have it enabled on my iTunes side, so I can drag and drop and such. How about on iOS devices? It seems you have to download what you want first... unless I'm doing it wrong.
Who cares? The iPad will show all your music, you pick what song you want to play, and the iPad will play the song. Yes, it will be downloaded in between. So what?

----------

Does it rely on the Store to play those songs? I have a lot of music which just isn't available on iTunes, can match play those tracks? Also, while work has wifi they have asked us not to stream music so I would have to have a big data plan to use Match.
Anything that is not matched to songs on the store is uploaded to Apple's server, so it will play just the same as songs on the store. The only difference is it doesn't come from the store directly, but from a copy of your own music, held by Apple on their server. To the user, there is no difference.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
If you have 100GB of music and you move to iTunes match, instead of being limited to whatever you can put on your iPad at any given time (16GB/32GB/64GB), you get access to all 100GB. When you play a song it will download a copy to your iPad and the next time you play it, it won't have to download again. You can always clear out the space used by deleting music through Settings>General>Usage>Music.

If you have 4GB of music, it probably isn't worth it.

darngooddesign

macrumors G3
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I have customized my ID3 tags, genres for example, does it change them? Also, what happens if Apple drops an album from the Store, will iTunes periodically rescan my library to see if it needs to upload those tracks?

Last edited:

xAgustinx

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
I'm waiting for the wifi version of iTunes Match, it would be more useful for me in ios.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
I take my iPad to places with no WiFi or LTE service, i.e. camping etc.
I bought 64GB and put all my music and some movies on it. If you are never away from WiFi, have a good data connection, can afford to use your data then match and streaming purchased videos work great.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
I mean, that you can just listen your music, without downloading.
I know what you mean, something akin to Dropbox's LAN sync.... TBH, that would be quite useful. My iPhone is configured to use Match, and it would be cool if it could detect and use the local copy when I'm in and around the house.... It's a pity that it doesn't revert Homesharing....