Any point in having iTunes Match enabled on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Johnny Steps, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

I have it enabled on my iTunes side, so I can drag and drop and such. How about on iOS devices? It seems you have to download what you want first... unless I'm doing it wrong.

2. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

The point is, you can have all your music in iCloud and then be out and about with your iPad, as long as you have Wi-Fi you can get a song you need. In the past you would have needed to connect the iPad to iTunes.

That's the point.

3. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

iTunes Match is perfect for the iPad.

All your music on your device (As long as you have connectivity) and it doesn't take up any (much) storage space.

4. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

I have it installed just to have my library in sync with my iPhone and iTunes. If I want to download a song then I can do so when needed instead of connecting to iTunes.

iTunes match is very helpful on iPad IMO.

5. darngooddesign, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012

darngooddesign macrumors G3

I don't think its worthwhile unless you either have wifi everywhere or a big data plan. Until you download the songs they are not on your device. Do they take up less space on your iPad than if you transferred them any other way?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding Match. I don't have it and I can download any song I have purchased without iTunes. I thought Match gave you access to any non-store song in your library but rhough iTunes.

6. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Yeah, I don't think you quite understand Match.

When I say all your music is on your device, I mean it's all accessible.

If I’m at my friends house with my iPad, and want to listen to an album I don’t have to worry about having it synced onto my device.

I just hit play and the album starts playing.

I never have to worry about running out of storage on my iPad, or think about which albums or playlists I sync. All of my music is ‘on’ all my devices.

iTunes Match was made with the iOS devices in mind.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Does it rely on the Store to play those songs? I have a lot of music which just isn't available on iTunes, can match play those tracks? Also, while work has wifi they have asked us not to stream music so I would have to have a big data plan to use Match.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Who cares? The iPad will show all your music, you pick what song you want to play, and the iPad will play the song. Yes, it will be downloaded in between. So what?

----------

Anything that is not matched to songs on the store is uploaded to Apple's server, so it will play just the same as songs on the store. The only difference is it doesn't come from the store directly, but from a copy of your own music, held by Apple on their server. To the user, there is no difference.

9. bogatyr macrumors 65816

If you have 100GB of music and you move to iTunes match, instead of being limited to whatever you can put on your iPad at any given time (16GB/32GB/64GB), you get access to all 100GB. When you play a song it will download a copy to your iPad and the next time you play it, it won't have to download again. You can always clear out the space used by deleting music through Settings>General>Usage>Music.

If you have 4GB of music, it probably isn't worth it.

10. darngooddesign, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

darngooddesign macrumors G3

I have customized my ID3 tags, genres for example, does it change them? Also, what happens if Apple drops an album from the Store, will iTunes periodically rescan my library to see if it needs to upload those tracks?

11. xAgustinx macrumors regular

xAgustinx

I'm waiting for the wifi version of iTunes Match, it would be more useful for me in ios.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Wait. So Match is only 3G?

13. sectime macrumors 6502a

I take my iPad to places with no WiFi or LTE service, i.e. camping etc.
    I bought 64GB and put all my music and some movies on it. If you are never away from WiFi, have a good data connection, can afford to use your data then match and streaming purchased videos work great.

14. Zcott macrumors 68020

?

Works fine over wifi for me.

15. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

What?

16. xAgustinx macrumors regular

xAgustinx

I mean, that you can just listen your music, without downloading.

17. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

I know what you mean, something akin to Dropbox's LAN sync.... TBH, that would be quite useful. My iPhone is configured to use Match, and it would be cool if it could detect and use the local copy when I'm in and around the house.... It's a pity that it doesn't revert Homesharing....