Any predictions on new display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sasha.danielle, Apr 13, 2015.

1. sasha.danielle macrumors regular

I realize one is better off trying to guess the weather than predicting Apple, but does it make sense to anyone else that Apple might release a 4k display in the near future?

It seems to me that now that they have a full line of Macs capable of supporting that display, the time might be right. Had they released one prior, they would have had to differentiate between all the machines as ones capable of that support or not. Now they can release a display in full confidence.

Thoughts?

2. NeXT MacRumors macrumors member

I feel like Apple would release a 5K display, and not a 4k since they want to have the same screen as the iMac. But tech has to catch up so it will be a while.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I have no crystal ball by which to predict, but I sense that Apple has decided to exit the standalone display business...(as they abandoned the printer business to the aftermarket many years ago...)

4. sasha.danielle thread starter macrumors regular

That makes sense I think. It's too bad, because while there's great displays out there, it's not a small irritation to me that they're made of plastics with lame aesthetics.

5. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

It's been so long I just have no clue. I would think at some point they would want a USB-C display that could support the new MacBooks but that probably won't happen until other Macs use that standard. I also would think they would want to make a 5K display but I believe we'll have to wait for Thunderbolt 3 for that.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Using what transport? With TB2 and 10.3 we can do 4k at 60Hz. But for 5k the Mac needs TB3. Maybe the news a WWDC in June will include TB3.

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

The difference here is that there is no cross over between printers and displays as far as the computer line up (other than a printer most likely has a USB port you plug into your computer). iMacs still require a screen as does all laptops, so Apple has to do R&D into displays regardless if they stopped doing stand alone displays (no such requirement for Printers). Because of that, I can't see them fully leaving the stand alone market. I just think they are waiting for DP 1.3 so they can do 5K over one cable rather than the dual cables that Dell uses.

8. Mago macrumors 68000

The next retina cinema display will be 5K, it's likely to use Thunderbolt 3 or usb-c or both, as it's targeted for the Mac Pro, and an update for the Mac Pro is due, I bet on this new mac pro will have either tb3 or usb-c or both, as the new retina MacBook pro 15 and later the updated retina iMac. I bet it will be usb-c.

Capable to charge the MacBook as well providing extra usb 3 ports and some other peripherals.

Some were also I read Apple will ditch Ligthning port for usb-c on the next iPad and iPhone 7/7+

9. adee macdowell macrumors newbie

I agree with NeXT MacRumors, it will probab;y be 5K. These reviews might be on the right track:apple:

10. edanuff macrumors 6502

It's very unlikely that Apple will target a new display to the Mac Pro. They just don't sell enough of it for it to be worthwhile and many Mac Pro users use non-Apple monitors anyway. Apple Displays are meant for the laptops so you have to expect that a 5K display will be introduced alongside a MacBook Pro with TB3 or USB-C and with the ability to drive 5K. The Mac Pro would be refreshed at the same time, but it's the rMBP that has to happen for the display to happen, with the expectation that the majority of the rest of the laptop line can drive 5K within about 6 months.

11. Mago macrumors 68000

I miss to comment Apple it's rumoured also to introduce an 24“ 4K retina display targeted for lower powered Mac as the new MacBook 12, and all retina models also the Mac mini,, Apple doesn't like Mac users to source peripherals from 3d, and many Mac Pro users (as me) will switch to an Apple Sourced display as soon it's available. Further you underestimate the popularity of the Mac Pro, it's actually a must have of Mac enthusiasts with deep pockets, specifically the 6 core model, those numbers will be a major matter at the next WWDC when the updated Mac Pro will be released (ddr4 and tb3,among. Updated cpu will be the most anticipated "novelty" , only real speculation is about the ports arrangements, all usb will be 3.1 but how many will be usb-c? The same is about tb2 and tb3 can tb3 support legacy tb/tb2 devices? Or the new Mac will have both tb3 and tb2, and tb3 will still provide video output, since seems this duty is to be taken by usb-c? All these questions will define the future of the entire Mac line.

12. gugy macrumors 68030

Could be true but I hope you are wrong.
    It seems Apple needs to clear some hurdles in order to get a stand alone TB display at 5K. I would assume all the Mac Pro crowd would jump to get ones once they release. While this is a small fraction of the Apple business I would be very surprise if they drop it for good.
    Since they already have the tech for the most part in place for the iMac, I see them making a display once they can figure the bandwidth issues in the near future. My hope is by early next year we have it.

13. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

I agree with comments about Mac Pro displays - not sure Apple will ever dive into that mess.

But...for the laptops, I totally could see a Apple 4k TB display at some point

14. edanuff macrumors 6502

Actually, I don't. I have a Mac Pro and I love it, but based on available data, Mac Pros account for about 1% to 2% of the unit shipments of Mac computers. Also, from what I've seen, Mac Pro users seem divided as to whether to use 4K/5K as retina displays with scaling (27" or smaller with 163+ppi) or for large screen real estate displays with no scaling (32" to 40", with 133 to 109ppi). Personally, I prefer the scaled retina display but a lot of people seem to prefer more screen real estate.

Part of the issue is that Apple has, up until now, kept the pixel density in a certain range for retina and non-retina displays. An Apple-branded 4K retina display would likely need to be around 21.5" to match the quality they've done before. I'm not sure they'd do a standalone monitor at that size because a lot of people would think it was too small for the price, but I do think they'd do a 21.5" retina 4K iMac. However there doesn't appear to be any 4K panels being manufactured yet at that size. According to Panelook.com, there are only 15.5" panels and 23.8" panels currently being manufactured (and in case you're wondering, Panelook had the 5K panel Apple is using listed before Apple introduced the 5K iMac).

15. Mago macrumors 68000

Only thing I know know is the current Mac Pro is the best seller, first year sales figures account for 3 or more years sales of the previous model.

Current Mac Pro can't drive 5k I'm using a 4k 32" with pixel doubling and looks nice, not as nice as the retina iMac, sure the next Mac Pro will be 5K ready.

About the smaller retina iMac / retina cinema display, to date all rumours point to an 24" class model (23.7" more less), wait WWDC to see if it's happen. But more likely the smaller retina iMac and cinema will be launched later this year before iPhone 7.

16. edanuff macrumors 6502

Thats entirely consistent with what I said in relation to the rest of the Mac product line.

As previously mentioned on this thread, the Mac Pro can now do double-cable 5K, but that's a stopgap measure until DP1.3 is supported.

Awesome, I hope so. I'm using dual 24" Dell 4K monitors and I'm quite happy with them, but if Apple came out with a great looking glossy 24" 4K display, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

17. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Apple and Display - DEAD for too long. Rumors of anything have been wrong for so long, it's a joke at this point.

Thunderbolt, USB3.1, Bla Bla. It's not here and it doesn't look like it will be 4k, 5k, 8k, Please People! Don't you get it yet?

Just My Opinion

18. 67bmer macrumors member

I have been wondering about it too!

but according to apple.com-
    http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

thunderbolt display
    2560x1440

the 13" MBP external resolution-
    3840x2160

the 15" MBP external resolution-
    2500x1600 (??? is this right?)

5K would seem like a waste! Seems like a 4K is in the neighborhood. I was just comparing the new iMac to the thunderbolt - its significantly better.

However, if you sit about 32" away from the thunderbolt display - it is already a retina display! The iMac still looks better...

19. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I find your post hard to understand.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202856

20. shoebobs macrumors regular

With a 5k display, you can work on a full 4k image/movie, and still have space on your screen for the toolbar of whatever program you are editing with. You'll have full access to your editing options and not lose focus on your image.

Also, since Apple went with 5k for the iMac, it would make no sense for them to take a step back with a standalone.

Finally, if you posted the resolutions to show that current machines are not capable of outputting more than 4k, that doesn't matter to Apple. They would release the display alongside new machines that have TB3/DP1.3 and are capable of outputting the proper resolution. I'm not positive, but I'm assuming older models could still use the new display but would be only able to use lower resolution options, so they wouldn't be completely shutout.

21. maplingstorie, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015

maplingstorie macrumors 6502

Apple can actually implement 5K that supports one TB2 if they wanted to. I remember during the keynote they implemented/bragged about this TCON chip that controls the iMac's 5K screen (SST). I'm not a hardware expert but I think it can happen if they wanted to and cared enough for us by making the 5K Display with TCON to work together to make 5K possible on one TB2. But then again, the easiest way is to wait for TB3..

Also, Apple states that TB2 can drive up to 3820x2160 @ 60Hz. Recently the update allowed up to 4096x2160 @60Hz for the LG31MU97.

22. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Apple is already supporting 5K over TB2.

23. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

24. JTToft macrumors 68040

Yes, in the sense that they list one specific Dell 5K display as being supported on the Mac Pro and iMac 5K. This requires two DisplayPort cables, though.
    Thunderbolt 2 (which uses DisplayPort 1.2) simply doesn't have enough bandwidth for 5K resolutions over one connection.

25. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Which means there is no existing base of Macs ready to support an external 5k monitor with one cable . Maybe at WWDC we we will see new MBP, Mac Pro with TB3 and support for a 5k ATD.