Any problems with 500 gig SATA drive in New Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by seancusick, Oct 23, 2008.

1. seancusick macrumors member

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The important thing is the height: 9.5 mm or 1/8th height fits; 12 mm or 1/6th height doesn't fit. Their specs don't mention the height. I am sure if you call them and ask, their sales drones won't have the slightest clue what you are talking about. Don't buy any laptop drive unless they tell you in writing that it is 9.5 mm high and not more. So don't order from there.

3. fuzzynavo macrumors regular

last time i checked, samsung was the only one to offer a 500 GB 2.5" hard drive that fit in a 15" macbook pro. check out other world computing as they'll have the detailed specs on all the hd's.

4. mikey8270 macrumors newbie

yes this will work. I got the WD my passport external with that same drive in it and swapped it with the stock drive in my new macbook. I'm pretty sure that the MBP uses the same form factor for hard drives, so this should work for you too.

500gb in a notebook is amazing!!

5. seancusick thread starter macrumors member

6. rijiMacDij macrumors regular

Are you kidding?

Is it true that Western Digital drives are made by Samsung? I find that almost impossible to believe.

I have had a very bad run with Samsung notebook drives. Three failed drives in a row in PB G4, Samsung extremely arrogant to deal with and almost impossible to get a faulty drive replaced at no cost, I'm waiting for Seagate to hit 7,200 rpm with their 500 GB model......

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Samsung used to suck, hence the PowerBook. Now they're better. Why would you want 7,200 RPM? It gets extremely hot and makes a lot of noise. 5,400 RPM should be good enough, the extra speed is not worth it IMHO, sacrificing the amount of noise and heat issues.

8. rijiMacDij macrumors regular

Hadn't considered the heat and noise issues, thanks for the heads-up. I am a muso and the last thing I need is noisy hard drives and fans creeping into the silent spaces in recordings...